Getting started using OSX
I didn't find any info about how to start using pine if you have OSX and can't run PhoenixCard so I decided to write this guide:

What you need:
  1. Ubuntu image (or other image I only tested Ubuntu)
  2. Terminal
How:
  1. Open terminal and run 
    sudo diskutil list
  2. Find your SDCard - easiest way is to find the disk in the right size - should be in the format /dev/disk2. 
  3. Format the card using the following command - make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2

sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 MYDISKNAME MBRFormat /dev/disk2
  4. Unmount your disk using the following command - make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2

sudo umount /dev/disk2Make sure that the next line confirm that the disk is not mounted
  5. Unmount all sub-prtitions (if you didn't skip step 3 the card should only have one) in the disk using the following command - make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2

sudo diskutil umount /dev/disk2s1Make sure that the next line confirm that the disk is not mounted
  6. Go to the location where the Ubuntu image is
  7.  Run the following command to extract the image to the disk- make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2
    sudo dd bs=4m if=Ubuntu_image_file.img of=/dev/disk2

The last command will take ~30min to complete and will result in a success message of how many bytes were transferred to the card.Good luck!
For some of you, it might be faster if you use rdisk instead of disk (raw access)
replace step 7 with:
sudo dd bs=4m if=Ubuntu_image_file.img of=/dev/rdisk2
(04-12-2016, 11:00 PM)cranchh Wrote: I didn't find any info about how to start using pine if you have OSX and can't run PhoenixCard so I decided to write this guide

PhoenixCard is only needed for stock Android/RemixOS images and not needed for any Linux image as they're provided now.

And all this formatting stuff is also not necessary at all since burning an image onto the card automagically overwrites the partition table. So on OS X when you try to burn a Linux image just follow these simple steps.

Way more faster and more reliable.
Quote:PhoenixCard is only needed for stock Android/RemixOS images
So does that mean if I only have a Mac and I want to run Android I am stuffed and it is not going to happen?
(04-18-2016, 10:17 AM)GrumpyMike Wrote:
So does that mean if I only have a Mac and I want to run Android I am stuffed and it is not going to happen?

We will release the Android/Remix build image on this week that you can DD on Mac.
(04-18-2016, 11:06 AM)tllim Wrote:

We will release the Android/Remix build image on this week that you can DD on Mac.

Fantastic news!
Thanks
(04-18-2016, 11:06 AM)tllim Wrote:

Thank you Tllim
Haven't recieved my Pine 64's yet, but I have used Apple Pi Baker a lot and love it. I suspect it will work just fine with the Pine 64. It makes preparing SD cards super easy.

It's here: http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/ras...-pi-baker/
Sadly PINE_A64_REMIXOS2.0_B2016041501 does not work when you format it on a Mac. I used the instructions here
http://rayhightower.com/blog/2016/04/04/...-mac-os-x/
And successfully programmed the SD card but inserting it into the Pine just gives a blank screen with the monitor reporting no video.
Just to see if it was my SD card or power supply or Pine I installed debian jessie and that worked ( well I can't get sound but that is another problem )
So I conclude that PINE_A64_REMIXOS2.0_B2016041501 does not work when you format it on a Mac.

Any thoughts when it will work properly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting started in nRF52 in pinetime64 Quim 0 2,122 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Quim
  How to get started? riahim 35 67,824 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Last Post: hikmetsezen
  PineA64 Getting Started Guide khgoh 12 25,386 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Doryan