rock64/ubuntu start-up
(06-18-2018, 11:56 AM)pas059 Wrote: In fact, as i have read that these packets are huge, i'm looking for a way to download packets then install packets, rather than download+install in one opeation. Synptics (a cool tool) seems a useful tools for doing this, but i did not see all details yet.

Not sure why exactly you want to do this, but it can be done easily in the terminal.

Code:
apt-get -d install <package>

Will download a package (and dependencies) and store them locally without installing. When you want to install, run the same command without the "-d" option, and the package will install from the local copy.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

Hi,
(06-18-2018, 09:04 PM)fire219 Wrote: Not sure why exactly you want to do this, but it can be done easily in the terminal.

because as my internet connection is not fast, if i need to install some packages several times (in case of flashing my eMMC again, or if i have several boards) i do not want to loose the download time x times. This is why, downloading packages and put them on an external support (like usb storage ) seems to me an interesting method. thanks for the code.

regards
Hi,
some news from my own experience with various Desktop Environments.
In a first time i downloaded the packages kde-full and gnome without installing them. The download of KDE ends without error, unlike of the one of gnome which generates some errors telling that some coponents can not be downloaded.
So i decided to try KDE first; the install of KDE ends without error. After this, it's possibe to select 'plasma' (the DE's name of KDE if i well understood) as the DE. Then the plasma screen appears, yes Cool   but disappointment comes quickly Cry  . In fact, most windows (file manager, tools, most softwares) are open at the top left corner of the screen, and it is not possible to move them  Cry   . As i read on google, that this can be caused by the 'window manager', i tried other window managers, but none of them changes the behavior of the DE, and in some cases installing a WM generates some errors. So i decided to remove kde-full using apt, but it removes nothing (~2GB), so i re-flashed my eMMC again,... end of kde test.

So, after setting up my rock64, i try to install gnome Big Grin . Without surprise, as the download has ended by signaling that some components were missing, the install ends with errors. Despite these errors, it's possible to select gnome during further logins, but, without surprise, this not works (each time, the login view is presented again). But the good news, and perhaps this is not surprising this time, further logins with LXDE continue to work properly and, perhaps even, better. For example, the network connections can be edited and some accessories have been installed and work (Disks, ScreenShot, SimpleScan, System Monitor, Compress/Decompress, Software, LibreOffice, Gimp, Inkscape, ...). For my part, as the install of gnome requires "only" ~1GB, i will continue to work like this Smile .
Here are the news.

regards
(06-21-2018, 09:45 AM)pas059 Wrote: the one of gnome which generates some errors telling that some coponents can not be downloaded.

Sounds like the local list of available packages is out of date. When newer versions of a package are made available, the old ones that the local list has knowledge of may no longer be available. It's usually a good idea to run "apt-get update" before downloading packages to make sure the lists are up to date. Or you can just run it when you get errors like you just did. Wink

It's good to hear that you're having a better experience now though!
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

i done "apt-get update" before downloading the package.
Thanks for continuing to document your experiences... this is exactly the sort of thing we need here letting people know what the current state of affairs is, and what problems and solutions there are.

It's interesting that the full install of gnome fixed the network connections preference. The confusing thing is what exactly was fixed... Wink Having the additional programs is understandable - they are not included in the LXDE install by default they can always be installed by the end user separately. It's meant to be a minimal starting point rather than a full image.
Hi,
after few days of use, no particular problems to signal except that the Rock64 has a difficult startups. Following each first startup (when the board is cold), after few minutes it crashes or reboot alone. I remember that i had already this behavior with xenial-mate (although i'm not sure); passing these few minutes of climb of temperature, the board work fine. I mounted a heatsink on the cpu, perhaps it was not a good idea.

Other problem, although my network connection works and the others computer (Windows) are detected, i can not open or login on them with the file manager PCManFM; the following error is displayed: "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Invalid argument"  Huh and then "The specified location is not mounted".
Somone has an idea?

regards
(06-26-2018, 02:33 AM)pas059 Wrote: Hi,
after few days of use, no particular problems to signal except that the Rock64 has a difficult startups. Following each first startup (when the board is cold), after few minutes it crashes or reboot alone. I remember that i had already this behavior with xenial-mate (although i'm not sure); passing these few minutes of climb of temperature, the board work fine. I mounted a heatsink on the cpu, perhaps it was not a good idea.

Kind of sounds like a power supply issue to me. A bit of a strange failure mode for it, but it's usually the cause for a board that randomly crashes or reboots. What power supply are you using?

Quote:Other problem, although my network connection works and the others computer (Windows) are detected, i can not open or login on them with the file manager PCManFM; the following error is displayed: "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Invalid argument"  Huh and then "The specified location is not mounted".
Somone has an idea?

Do you have Samba (SMB client) installed? (apt-get install samba) If it is installed, make sure it is fully running. (systemctl start smbd and systemctl start nmbd)

If that doesn't solve the issue, give us the text of /var/log/samba/log.smbd.

Hi,
my power supply is this one. But it's not a ramdom crashe/freeze/reboot it's only during the first minutes after power up, after this time this works (no more auto reboot or crash).

For my network issues, i had installed samba (and winbind + smbclient + cifs-utils) which was not installed with this version of OS. I done systmctl... but the problems remain. The last lines of log.smbd are:

[2018/06/27 10:37:32.828493,  0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections 

& similar things for log.nmbd
but the message (after samba install) is ""Failed to retrieve share list from server: connection refused"

regards
(06-27-2018, 04:07 AM)pas059 Wrote: Hi,
my power supply is this one. But it's not a ramdom crashe/freeze/reboot it's only during the first minutes after power up, after this time this works (no more auto reboot or crash).\

That power supply should do the job just fine... it could be a lemon though...

Quote:For my network issues, i had installed samba (and winbind + smbclient + cifs-utils) which was not installed with this version of OS. I done systmctl... but the problems remain. The last lines of log.smbd are:

[2018/06/27 10:37:32.828493,  0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections 

& similar things for log.nmbd
but the message (after samba install) is ""Failed to retrieve share list from server: connection refused"

I've got a couple more things for you to try:

Open /etc/samba/smb.conf in nano (or whatever text editor) with sudo. There should be a line something like this in the file:
Code:
name resolve order = bcast host
There may be more words after the equals sign, but that's irrelevant. What does matter is that "bcast" is first in that list. If it's not, move it to the first spot. Save that, and restart smbd/nmbd (systemctl restart <...>).

If that still didn't fix it, find the IP address of your Windows computer and run
Code:
smbclient -L <IP address>
Give us all the output from that command.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 51 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 511 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,962 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,426 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 510 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,729 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7