Tutorial: Install OpenBSD on ROCK64 media board
Hello community!

I have wrote a tutorial how to install OpenBSD on a ROCK64 media board.
The tutorial is on my Github page available:

Tutorial to install OpenBSD

Check it out!

Cheers

krjdev
Absolutely awesome, thank you!
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-11-2018, 02:34 PM)Luke Wrote: Absolutely awesome, thank you!

My pleasure!

Comments and suggestions are always very welcome.

Cheers
Has this been mentioned back to OpenBSD? Like to the OpenBSD arm list? It deserves a link from http://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html maybe.
Thank you for your tutorial. I have several questions.

(1) What is the point of installing U-boot?

(2) I see that the console says "emmc1 is current device". Does that message mean that (a) the microSD is considered as an emmc and (b) true eMMC would be emmc0?

(3) I presume that after the exercise with U-boot (see #1) the microSD was removed, put back in the PC, overwritten, and /then/ placed back in the Rock64. Correct?
(Please, forgive the simplicity of my query, but the guide starts with a very basic level of instruction and then omits crucial details -- not staying in the spirit of the tutorial's beginning.)

(4) Tangentially, I have questions about OpenBSD's installation/compatibility with 100BT via the audio dac add-on card and GigE via Asix AA88179. Would someone be kind enough either to address the useability here or in my separate post?
For details, see https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6360 - OpenBSD, GigE Adapters/Chipsets, and ROCK64 STEREO AUDIO DAC ADD-ON BOARD.
(07-04-2018, 08:12 AM)ab1jx Wrote: Has this been mentioned back to OpenBSD?  Like to the OpenBSD arm list?  It deserves a link from http://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html maybe.

Sorry, for my late response.

No, I haven't mentioned this tutorial on the OpenBSD ARM list yet.

(08-06-2018, 05:59 AM)jovval Wrote: Thank you for your tutorial. I have several questions.

(1) What is the point of installing U-boot?

(2) I see that the console says "emmc1 is current device". Does that message mean that (a) the microSD is considered as an emmc and (b) true eMMC would be emmc0?

(3) I presume that after the exercise with U-boot (see #1) the microSD was removed, put back in the PC, overwritten, and /then/ placed back in the Rock64. Correct?
(Please, forgive the simplicity of my query, but the guide starts with a very basic level of instruction and then omits crucial details -- not staying in the spirit of the tutorial's beginning.)

(4) Tangentially, I have questions about OpenBSD's installation/compatibility with 100BT via the audio dac add-on card and GigE via Asix AA88179. Would someone be kind enough either to address the useability here or in my separate post?
For details, see https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6360 - OpenBSD, GigE Adapters/Chipsets, and ROCK64 STEREO AUDIO DAC ADD-ON BOARD.

(1) As far as I know, some parts of the boot/initialization process of the RK3328 is closed source. This version of U-Boot is a patched version from the PINE64 team.

(2) Yes.

(3) Yes, I will improve my tutorial and add this additional information.
Thank you for addressing my questions. I need to clarify what I meant when I queried about U-boot.

What I am really asking is, does installing U-boot write a boot partition inaccessible to dd?
The first step of the tutorial is to install U-Boot in the SPI flash from the ROCK64.

The boot process:
- Firmware (Closed) from the ROCK64 looks into SPI flash and execute U-Boot.
- U-Boot loads the OpenBSD loader from MicroSD or emmc and execute it.

I hope I could clarify that.
(08-07-2018, 06:09 AM)krjdev Wrote: The first step of the tutorial is to install U-Boot in the SPI flash from the ROCK64.

The boot process:
- Firmware (Closed) from the ROCK64 looks into SPI flash and execute U-Boot.
- U-Boot loads the OpenBSD loader from MicroSD or emmc and execute it.

I hope I could clarify that.

I interpret your statement as follows.

Step 1 of the guide explains the placement of U-Boot, which is the (pre)bootloader, on the flash media.
Step 2 explicates the installation of OpenBSD along with /its/ bootloader on the same.

Booting into 'BSD requires both U-Boot and OpenBSD, in succession.
No, U-Boot and OpenBSD is not on the same memory device.

U-Boot -> SPI Flash
OpenBSD and loader -> On the eMMC or the MicroSD

The SPI flash is an additional IC on the ROCK64 board. It's an EEPROM which communicates via the SPI interface.
The SPI flash is NOT the eMMC or MicroSD.

The description of the SPI interface
The description of an EEPROM

Sorry, for my adoption. But I think you didn't know what a SPI Flash is.

I have added an attachment where I have marked the SPI Flash on board.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD 6.7 microSD card image krjdev 4 8,590 05-31-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: krjdev
  Rock64 ethernet not working during install OpenBSD Enig123 4 6,843 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Enig123
Information NetBSD for Rock64 Luke 4 8,433 01-14-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: fmotsch
  OpenBSD: GPIO with the I2C device PCF8574(A) krjdev 0 3,834 08-09-2018, 06:41 AM
  AMENDED: OpenBSD, GigE Adapters/Chipsets, and ROCK64 STEREO AUDIO DAC ADD-ON BOARD jovval 1 4,258 08-07-2018, 02:44 AM