Fedora on Pine?
Hey, 

Was wondering if Fedora has been tried on pine64 with any luck by some of the lucky few to have received their board already. 

If not I'm assuming it's theoretically possible,  yes? 

I currently run Fedora as both my workstation and home computer and would like to bring it to the pine in about to receive once shipping is organised on their end.
Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job. (Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering)
Does Fedora do arm at all? I guess the windowmanager and mosy tools exist or can be compiled as long as you can install yum and have a compatible branch, but personally I dont see the point. IMHO apart from the windowmanager, most linux distros are just different flavors of the same icecream. Most of your Fedora needs can probably be covered with Arch or Debian Base image with some time and effort (or human readable documentation).
(04-10-2016, 10:44 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote: Does Fedora do arm at all? I guess the windowmanager and mosy tools exist or can be compiled as long as you can install yum and have a compatible branch, but personally I dont see the point. IMHO apart from the windowmanager, most linux distros are just different flavors of the same icecream. Most of your Fedora needs can probably be covered with Arch or Debian Base image with some time and effort (or human readable documentation).

That's true enough I guess. I did some digging googling and found a officially recognised Fedora aarm64 release. Going to try and fire it up in qemu and see what it's like.
Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job. (Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering)
I saw this today while looking for any linux implementation of the watchdog timer for A64 or Pine http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/...ernel.spec of interest there is;

# http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg483898.html
Patch423: Initial-AllWinner-A64-and-PINE64-support.patch

And;
* Sat Mar 5 2016 Peter Robinson <his email is on the original page, wont duplicate it here for the spambots>
- Updates and new SoCs for aarch64 and ARMv7
- Add aarch64 support for PINE64 and Geekbox devices
- Fix ethernet naming on Armada 38x devices
- Serial console fixes for Tegra
(04-11-2016, 09:17 AM)rahlquist Wrote: I saw this today while looking for any linux implementation of the watchdog timer for A64 or Pine http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/...ernel.spec of interest there is;

# http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg483898.html
Patch423: Initial-AllWinner-A64-and-PINE64-support.patch

And;
* Sat Mar  5 2016 Peter Robinson <his email is on the original page, wont duplicate it here for the spambots>
- Updates and new SoCs for aarch64 and ARMv7
- Add aarch64 support for PINE64 and Geekbox devices
- Fix ethernet naming on Armada 38x devices
- Serial console fixes for Tegra

Does this mean they're aiming to have native support for PINE64? 

Also, got Fedora AARM64 installed (on QEMU) to have a play with. Seems to be a modified version of Fedora Server 23 meaning it has Cockpit installed by default which is kind of cool.

Also jumped on Fedora AARM64's IRC (#fedora-arm, freenode) and it seems it's aimed more at Raspberry Pi... but we shall see.
(04-11-2016, 04:52 PM)s001911 Wrote: Does this mean they're aiming to have native support for PINE64? 

Also, got Fedora AARM64 installed (on QEMU) to have a play with. Seems to be a modified version of Fedora Server 23 meaning it has Cockpit installed by default which is kind of cool.

Also jumped on Fedora AARM64's IRC (#fedora-arm, freenode) and it seems it's aimed more at Raspberry Pi... but we shall see.

At this point you know as much as i do, will be interesting to see.
Raspberry/Pi oriented? Please...

We (Fedora) have basic support for Pine64 added. Main issue is find time to deal with improving it.
I've written a small How-To explaining the steps necessary to install CentOS 7 on your ARM64 board. It should be adapted easily to Fedora if someone could point me to an usable root file system.
Hey umiddelb I have got most of the pine64.pro sit eoperational (and a working bug reports system in place).

If you have a tutorial abotu things send it along there as everything posted there gets posted back to the forum and soon enough the wiki automatically Wink
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
An easy way since you already have a working aarch64 Centos is to temporarily change the repository to Fedora's aarch64 one and then do a Minimal Install into a folder.
If you don't have Centos you can install the 32 bit Fedora and do the same.

sudo nano /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

[base]
name=FedoraOS-$releasever - Base
baseurl=http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/23/Everything/aarch64/os/
gpgcheck=0

mkdir FedoraRootFS

sudo yum groupinstall "Minimal Install" --installroot=/home/testuser/FedoraRootFS/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine A64+ mainline mipi-dsi Learnincurve 3 6,430 01-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  DietPi OS for PINE A64 MichaIng 0 9,039 12-15-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: MichaIng
  Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pine A64+ Images wideawake 2 5,350 10-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: mathiraj
  LibreELEC(KODI) for Pine A64 (+) pineadmin 6 15,395 05-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: aaronmarsh632
  Lakka-nightlies for Pine A64 (and H64) roel 11 18,832 04-23-2020, 12:55 AM
Last Post: roel
  Read DHT22 on Pine A64 ayufan 3 6,436 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: {-DesT-}
  +PINEBOOK Fedora 30 on Pinebook sdgathman 0 3,316 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Last Post: sdgathman
  Centos 7 for Pine A64 Luke 2 5,945 05-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,041 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn