FORSEE eMMC is reliable?
As part of our big project, we are using the ROCK64(1G with 0.5.15-136) with FORSEE eMMC module. We have observed corruption issue very often. Most of the time, during the reboot, it shows that lot of bad block checks and trying to recover. During this time, sometimes it won't recover and it ends with initramfs prompt.  Where we are completely loosing partition 7 (root file system). 

Is this common with FORSEE? We tried other vendors of eMMC, where these are coming with some padding for other side of the connector, which seems little reliable than FORSEE. We are suspecting this as something mechanical issue.

However if we need to recover I would think we need to forced fsck on every boot before mounting the partitions. But when booting it complains about fsck is not available with initramfs. Is there anyway to include fsck with initramfs? or any other practices are available to overcome these issues?

THanks,
Ramprasad
(04-23-2018, 10:59 AM)ramprasad Wrote: As part of our big project, we are using the ROCK64(1G with 0.5.15-136) with FORSEE eMMC module. We have observed corruption issue very often. Most of the time, during the reboot, it shows that lot of bad block checks and trying to recover. During this time, sometimes it won't recover and it ends with initramfs prompt.  Where we are completely loosing partition 7 (root file system). 

Is this common with FORSEE? We tried other vendors of eMMC, where these are coming with some padding for other side of the connector, which seems little reliable than FORSEE. We are suspecting this as something mechanical issue.

However if we need to recover I would think we need to forced fsck on every boot before mounting the partitions. But when booting it complains about fsck is not available with initramfs. Is there anyway to include fsck with initramfs? or any other practices are available to overcome these issues?

THanks,
Ramprasad

There may be a command line flag you can specify to run fsck on boot... I know there is on the Raspberry Pi, so it may be worth checking if it can be tripped in the rock64.

As far as common, I wouldn't have through so, or else they wouldn't be a very successful manufacturer! :-P In my own limited use cases and experience with their eMMC modules, I haven't seen any issues, on both the pinebook and rock64, using 16 and 32gb FORSEE modules.
(04-26-2018, 06:13 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 10:59 AM)ramprasad Wrote: As part of our big project, we are using the ROCK64(1G with 0.5.15-136) with FORSEE eMMC module. We have observed corruption issue very often. Most of the time, during the reboot, it shows that lot of bad block checks and trying to recover. During this time, sometimes it won't recover and it ends with initramfs prompt.  Where we are completely loosing partition 7 (root file system). 

THanks,
Ramprasad

There may be a command line flag you can specify to run fsck on boot... I know there is on the Raspberry Pi, so it may be worth checking if it can be tripped in the rock64.

As far as common, I wouldn't have through so, or else they wouldn't be a very successful manufacturer! :-P In my own limited use cases and experience with their eMMC modules, I haven't seen any issues, on both the pinebook and rock64, using 16 and 32gb FORSEE modules.

Thank you for the info. I tried that tocuhing fsck and also passing kernel parameters to force fsck at boot. It doesn't seems to be applied. Regarding the eMMC modules, may be related to how it was installed.

THanks,
Ramprasad

Were you able to solve this?

I've been having this problem with latest boards and think it might have something to with bad connections between EMMC and ROCK64.
The fitting of the emmc module is not that snappy/clicking as it should be.
Perhaps some excess soldering is in the way for the connector to click down completely.

Lowering the maxfrequency with 50-100MHz might help for now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Compatible eMMC modules and benchmarks danboid 7 14,254 03-09-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: arvendui
Question Have eMMC adapter - but can't seem to fix eMMC card SirRyanTheGeek 3 5,947 05-04-2019, 04:19 AM
Last Post: burito111
  emmc module help default_user8 1 2,818 04-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SirRyanTheGeek
  Dead eMMC? machina 8 8,990 11-21-2018, 05:05 AM
Last Post: machina
  can a SD card be used as storage with emmc boot Enzo 9 12,077 05-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Flashing full image to eMMc with a mSD card to eCMM adapter pytheas 2 3,740 04-09-2018, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Prb booting emmc darthyoh 12 12,920 03-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  eMMC angelscream09 2 3,748 02-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Were do you get compatible emmc modules? Rar9 1 3,034 12-09-2017, 03:16 AM
Last Post: gkkpch
  eMMC problem tanisou 4 5,467 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor