Absolute Waste of Time!
Thumbs Down 
Received the pine a few days ago, finally had a chance to play today and so far I am not impressed.

I purchased a brand new Micro SD to use with this thing. Followed the instructions to install Android. Used the PhoenixCard application applied the image as a startup. process was successful exited the app and ejected the card. Inserted the card into the Pine and plugged it in. Got a nice android logo then a Pine A64 logo on a white screen. Left it on the screen for 90 minutes giving it the benefit of the doubt. Nothing happened!

Tried the Remix OS image (yes I know there is an issue with the 2GB model and Remix) but at this point I am just trying to get something other than a white screen and a Pine A64 logo. Nope got that screen.

So I tried formatting with Arch Linux image. Wouldn't work using the PhoenixCard application as says there is a script missing from the file great! I install it with the Win32Diskimager and hazah I have something that might actually work. Well you would think so wouldn't you. It appears that the little wifi/Bluetooth dongle I paid extra for that actually doesn't quite fit properly doesn't work with Arch. Deep joy!

OK so I now try again I wipe the SD card and run the PhoenixCard App and add Android to it again. A complete repeat of the first try. I remove again wipe rinse and repeat now PhoenixCard App just errors. I have rebooted the app, my computer.

What a complete waste of time this thing is. Well worth the cost and the wait!
Looks like this thread has a similar message - with replies on the possible causes:
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=583
(04-08-2016, 08:01 AM)majsve Wrote: Looks like this thread has a similar message - with replies on the possible causes:
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=583

No answers though sadly
I can perhaps help Neil.Jones.

What is it you need?
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
What cables do you have plugged in when booting?
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
(04-08-2016, 09:50 AM)pine.tree Wrote: What cables do you have plugged in when booting?

Plugged into a 60W Anker PowerPort capable of 2.4Amps per socket. Its the only item connected.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerPort-...detailpage

Using a Silicon Power 64GB Micro SD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Power-Mi...ge_o02_s00

HDMI cable was about £30 when I was silly enough to think I had to pay that Tongue
It looks like your issue is with your charging hub. It is "capable" of up to 2.4A per socket, but that's not the default for all devices. I did some reading on it, and It looks like they have a "PowerIQ" technology that detects 'smart' devices and gives them 2.4A if it detects they need it. 

The Pine64 is not one of those 'smart' charging devices, and won't trigger your charging hub to give it the 2 amps it needs. I would go with a simple wall adapter that is not 'smart', and always gives 2A no matter what. I'm using an Apple iPad adapter, it gives out 2 amps fine to the Pine I have. 

Hope this helps!
Pine tree,

This seems to come up often. I'm wondering, is there something we can can build to fake out the chargers and force them to push out the higher amps?
I'm no expert with how some charging hubs work to figure out if a device needs the full amps, but I would assume it would be cheaper and faster to get a "dumb" 2A USB wall adapter.
Those fancy chargers sense if there is voltage on the data line, its not a standard, Samsung and Apple use different voltages. One is 1.8v and the other is 2v, those charges that work on both probably just sense for anything higher than 1.8v. Not sure what voltages other manufactures use. It's probably just easier to get a inexpensive 2A USB power supply, not a fancy one meant to charge Iphones and Galaxy's. Make sure you use a good cable (I like Amazon Basics), most have very small wiring that causes more resistance, the micro USB connector really wasn't the best choice to supply power to the Pine64 either, but we have to live with it, contacts are so small, would have been better to have separate barrel connector for power.
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time user experiencing weird keyboard issues kendew 5 6,026 06-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rotwang
  First time setup of pro glennngiere 2 4,568 06-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  First time boot woes pharris430 2 4,261 07-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: pharris430
  Pine, What time is it? HeadShot 6 8,366 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Last Post: MichaelMeissner