HW Acceleration Working
I'm going to try this again.

... you MUST start with your use case.  What do you want to do with this in terms of video, start there !

There are MANY things you can do with video on the Pine board if you had a VDPAU browser. 

The problems you were led to believe would be fixed with mail ARE NOT going to be fixed with mali.

Video as you imagined it on gnu+linux is NOT going to happen on gnu+linux any time soon!  ...for several technical, legal, and philosophical|political reasons.  Its time to stop going around the mulberry bush on this. Video on gnu+linux is NOT going to happen; unless, serious paid development takes place over the next 1-2 years and assuming that the system is opened up.  Otherwise, what we are talking about is reverse engineering a closed system-- and that is not going to be solved here with all of this pointless bickering, by volunteers, in any short time-frame.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-31-2016, 04:46 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: I'm going to try this again.

... you MUST start with your use case.  What do you want to do with this in terms of video, start there !

There are MANY things you can do with video on the Pine board if you had a VDPAU browser. 

The problems you were led to believe would be fixed with mail ARE NOT going to be fixed with mali.

Video as you imagined it on gnu+linux is NOT going to happen on gnu+linux any time soon!  ...for several technical, legal, and philosophical|political reasons.  Its time to stop going around the mulberry bush on this. Video on gnu+linux is NOT going to happen; unless, serious paid development takes place over the next 1-2 years and assuming that the system is opened up.  Otherwise, what we are talking about is reverse engineering a closed system-- and that is not going to be solved here with all of this pointless bickering, by volunteers, in any short time-frame.

Mark, I'm going to assume you read my post completely.
The question for clarification sake is:

Is Cedrus/VDPAU equivalent to 3D Hardware Acceleration?

VDPAU from Wikipedia:

Quote:VDPAU allows video programs to access the PureVideo function blocks to offload portions of the video decoding process and video post-processing.[5]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#cite_note-5][/url]

Why would asking in a forum for clarification be considered bickering??? Why don't we keep the discussion respectful and on topic?
Please note I'm trying to keep the discussion productive, because everybody will benefit from us discussing these things that cause confusion.
(08-31-2016, 05:20 PM)jrullan Wrote: Is Cedrus/VDPAU equivalent to 3D Hardware Acceleration?
No. Why would you think so? People are losing patience exactly because all the basics had been explained already many times in this thread. But users are still asking for "clarifications". Do they hope to eventually get a different answer?

The Cedar VPU hardware unit and Cedrus/VDPAU driver had been only mentioned because many users are wondering whether Mali would help to accelerate youtube in their browsers. And another source of confusion is the Kodi application, which needs both 3D acceleration (for the user interface) and accelerated video decoding (for actually doing movie playback). Mali does not do accelerated decoding of media files.

Quote:this thread needs to be split into two different threads: Video decoding/encoding and 3D Hardware Acceleration. And that will clear up about 80% of the discussions in this thread.
Guess what? There are already two forum threads. This one is for Mali (3D graphics). And another one is for Cedrus (media decoding) - http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=424
Thank you for the clarification ssvb!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Contact me if someone would like to start a crowdfunding campaign for (reverse engineered or not) open source drivers and hardware support for this chipset.
(09-04-2016, 07:09 AM)Pander Wrote: Contact me if someone would like to start a crowdfunding campaign for (reverse engineered or not) open source drivers and hardware support for this chipset.
Have you seen this page?
http://limadriver.org
These guys were working on an open source driver.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
(09-04-2016, 03:52 PM)Ghelorn Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 07:09 AM)Pander Wrote: Contact me if someone would like to start a crowdfunding campaign for (reverse engineered or not) open source drivers and hardware support for this chipset.
Have you seen this page?
http://limadriver.org
These guys were working on an open source driver.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk

Interesting project. Ultimately that's the way to go to get the best end product, although I'm sure it's slow, tedious work.

This whole thing reminds me of when I first started messing with Linux in the late 1990's, and all of the various graphic cards ran on proprietary drivers in Windows, and barely worked in Linux. Now most of those manufacturers don't exist, and Linux support is available for the 2 that are left. Hopefully it will eventually work out this way in the SBC world as well.
They should add a PayPal-donation button and a Flattr donation button to their site to sponsor development of https://github.com/limadriver-ng/lima
Get it organized Pander, I'm in.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
News?
on irc channel there is:

«LADIES AND GENTS, WE HAVE THE MALI DRIVER! Big Grin -- If you are here to ask a question please be patient. It may take some time before we get back to you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand New LCD not working adamjedgar 3 6,479 03-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Last Post: simplexdan
  Pine64+: 3 working, 1 shows nothing on tv zumtra 1 3,911 07-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Last Post: tllim