Rock64 as HTPC
Hi,

i bought myself the rock64 to use it as a HTPC. Currently I have not yet found the optimal solution. Basically there is not much I wish to achieve:
- Use Netflix (720p would be ok)
- Stream Webradios and Youtube
- Stream some German TV stations over internet (either app or in browser)
- Stream video/photos from my NAS
- Daily-use-compatible power button

Here are the problems I discovered so far:

Android TV:
- works basically but not much apps installable
- netflix not listed in playstore
- Tried an apk for netflix for android I found on some websites. They get installed but when I open I receive an error message: "your device not compatible... blabla"
- I can install "normal" netflix app as an apk file. That can also stream video, but as soon as the navigation bar disappears I can not bring it back. I can not pause the stream or jump to any position because the navigation bar does not reappear.

LibreElec:
Installs fine, works good but the current available Version (krypton) does not yet support Netflix. Raybuntus repository (https://github.com/Raybuntu/LibreELEC.tv/releases/) holds releases with the next version (leia) but they are not yet available for rock64. 

Ubuntu Mate:
Installs fine, works good, but chrome is not available for the platform and Firefox is not supported for Netflix on this platform ==> no netflix streaming

Android stock:
Installs fine, works but input with mouse/keyboard sometimes is difficult. But I could live with that.
Again: Netflix is not available on playstore but can be installed from apk. But I get the same problem as described in section Android TV. Navigation bar disappears...

Power button:
I think the way to go here is to add a switch of my choice with some extra cable to the same pins as the current power button. As I'm not an electronic engineer I fear the soldering of these tiny pins. Is there any other way to go?

Which setup do you guys use? Have you encountered the same or further issues? Is there a way to fix the issues described above?

Looking forward to your replies.
(10-29-2017, 03:59 PM)putyourlitterhere Wrote: LibreElec:
Installs fine, works good but the current available Version (krypton) does not yet support Netflix. Raybuntus repository (https://github.com/Raybuntu/LibreELEC.tv/releases/) holds releases with the next version (leia) but they are not yet available for rock64. 

Ubuntu Mate:
Installs fine, works good, but chrome is not available for the platform and Firefox is not supported for Netflix on this platform ==> no netflix streaming

LibreElec: NetflixBMC works as it should for me. I've been using it for a while now. Your mileage may vary.

Ubuntu Mate: Chromium exists and is basically Chrome. Should allow you to stream Netflix via a web browser just fine.

1. As for HD/ 720p playback in Netflix you should probably read this. I use this version of the Netflix apk on the new stock android (rooted) build - had no issues with it. 
  2. I had no issues with web-radio or youtube - works fine and plays back smoothly. What issues are you experiencing ? 
  3. There are ways to get live TV on your android device (not sure if German TV as I'm not German)  ... get a M3U list (don't link it in the forum please) which includes Germans TV stations. I'm sure there are plenty ... 
  4. For streaming video from your NAS use either Kodi, VLC, RKMC or Plex - if you have Plex server installed on your server. 
  5. This airmouse works great with the Rock64 - including power button. 
  6. Spoke to Kwiboo some time back, there is a chance for Netflix and Amazon in future builds.
  7. Desktop experience on the Rock64 has still some way to go - not a priority at an early stage of development. 
  8.  Get Chromium. 
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(10-29-2017, 04:50 PM)dudemo Wrote: LibreElec: NetflixBMC works as it should for me. I've been using it for a while now. Your mileage may vary.

Ubuntu Mate: Chromium exists and is basically Chrome. Should allow you to stream Netflix via a web browser just fine.
As far as I could see Chromium does not allow streaming netflix. I gave it a try anyways: Using Libreelec in Kwiboo Version (LibreELEC-ROCK64.aarch64-8.2-devel-20171004193222-r26173-gd404dbb.img.gz) I added the superRepo and installed chrome launcher, NetflixMBC and also chromium. Chromium does not start. NetflixMBC does not show any content and chrome launcher tells me that chrome could not be found. True - it's not installed...
Can you guide me which version/build of Libreelec you are using and how you managed to get netflixMBC running?

(10-29-2017, 04:55 PM)Luke Wrote:
  1. As for HD/ 720p playback in Netflix you should probably read this. I use this version of the Netflix apk on the new stock android (rooted) build - had no issues with it. 
  2. I had no issues with web-radio or youtube - works fine and plays back smoothly. What issues are you experiencing ? 
  3. There are ways to get live TV on your android device (not sure if German TV as I'm not German)  ... get a M3U list (don't link it in the forum please) which includes Germans TV stations. I'm sure there are plenty ... 
  4. For streaming video from your NAS use either Kodi, VLC, RKMC or Plex - if you have Plex server installed on your server. 
  5. This airmouse works great with the Rock64 - including power button. 
  6. Spoke to Kwiboo some time back, there is a chance for Netflix and Amazon in future builds.
  7. Desktop experience on the Rock64 has still some way to go - not a priority at an early stage of development. 
  8.  Get Chromium. 

1. I tried out your apk for netflix: installs, but when I open it says "This app is not compatible with your device."
2. - 4. I'm also not expecting problems with streaming youtube, radio, tv, etc. I wanted to say that theses are further things I would like to do with my rock64. My problem is mainly concerning netflix and power button...
5. This device does not ship to my country. But I have a airmouse that seems to be similar. Are you also able to turn ON your device with this remote? I'm thinking that it might be complicated to reach the default power button on the board if the rock64 is mounted e.g. on the back of the tv.
6. I think I read this as well somewhere... thanks.
7. I do understand. I'm not looking for a full desktop replacement but a media pc.
8. Get Chromium - How?? I mean on Android Image, chrome is already installed and works, but on Libreelec or Ubuntu Mate I can not install chrome. At least I haven't found a way yet.

Thank you both for your replies.
Sorry guys, I'm not getting anywhere and that's really frustrating.

Ubuntu Mate:
I tried ubuntu mate build (xenial-mate-rock64-0.5.10-118-arm64_sd2emmc.img.xz), can install chromium, but I'm missing support for widevine. I could not find any widevine library for rock64 architecture. Is there one? If so: Where can I get it?

LibreElec:
There should be a way to stream netflix with libreelec Leia Release, but I cant find any LibreElec leia release for Rock64. Raybuntu only provides a krypton release for rock64. Other ways for Netflix on LibreElec involve Google Chrome, for which I can also not find any version for Rock64.

Android:
This is the only platform where I get to run netflix but I can not control the navigation bar (pause stream, jump in time line, etc.). Then the only way to pause the stream is to close the netflix app. After Luke's post I also tried the most recent version of android rooted (rock64_20171012_stock_android_7.1.2_rooted_sd2emmc.img.xz) and still nothing changed.

Any further help is highly appreciated. I'm kind of stuck between OS choices where non has the desirable solution.
Hi,

in the meantime I found a quite good solution: I use raybuntu's Libreelec Build. He has a pre-release of libreelec leia on his Github repo.
Using this netflix kodi plugin: https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix I can now enjoy netflix on my rock64.
With Kodi/libreelec I can also stream webradios and tv-streams and access my NAS for music, videos and pictures.
That's my current setup and I'm really happy with it.
Last thing missing is the power switch. Maybe I dare to do some soldering. I haven't found any information on that so far. So if someone can provide valuable information I'd appreciate.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 114 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,453 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,864 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 255 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,771 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,794 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,399 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,974 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 703 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 907 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267