The 6 most common reasons why Pine64 won't boot
(04-17-2016, 10:29 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 03:44 AM)tllim Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 01:08 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-14-2016, 07:14 PM)martinayotte Wrote: I change the one I used, 5V 1A, to another one, 5V 2A, and it finally succeeded to boot up !!!

As usual. If the Pine64 folks would start to collect the many simple reasons users run into troubles in a quickstart guide they would save not only most of the disappointed posts here but also their users hours of hours of wasted time.

We will focus on this week to organize a QSG.

You need printed warnings/instructions inside the package. For both sensitivity to electrostatic discharge (some users will kill their Pine64 right after unboxing) and a quickstart guide (can be short but has to point to a web location you should also link to from the forums and your other pages).

Isn't it frustrating also for you when you see your users suffering from all the well known and well understood problems again and again wasting hours of their time? That constantly wrong information is spread in the forums that doesn't really help? 

And why do you provide OS images that do not receive updates (the Arch image)? Your OS image (which is based on longsleep's) has problems with your hardware unlike any of the community provided OS images since you refuse to update it. That's just weird.

Agreed that there are several misstep and catch up. However, we have not refuse to update and need to response more swiftly on the timely update especially the Ethernet driver that create the 2GB board issue that cause us off guide. When we release the 2GB board, it has been tested well in Android and not aware that the Ethernet driver in the BSP was outdated.
(04-18-2016, 10:06 AM)tllim Wrote: When we release the 2GB board, it has been tested well in Android and not aware that the Ethernet driver in the BSP was outdated.

Ah, ok. Thx for the explanation. This means you used the older Android image that only initialised 1GB DRAM on the 2GB board so the bug could not be triggered. Well, now it's too late but if I were you I would've explained that earlier since many users came to the (wrong) conclusion that you didn't do software QA at all.

Anyway: Given the huge amount of redundant questions and bad experiences users have when trying out the boards and aren't able to get them running (or think they won't boot due to the HDMI issues) I hope for you and your users that documentation improves quickly and that users are pointed to it already when they unbox their board.
(04-19-2016, 05:08 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 10:06 AM)tllim Wrote: When we release the 2GB board, it has been tested well in Android and not aware that the Ethernet driver in the BSP was outdated.

Ah, ok. Thx for the explanation. This means you used the older Android image that only initialised 1GB DRAM on the 2GB board so the bug could not be triggered. Well, now it's too late but if I were you I would've explained that earlier since many users came to the (wrong) conclusion that you didn't do software QA at all.

Anyway: Given the huge amount of redundant questions and bad experiences users have when trying out the boards and aren't able to get them running (or think they won't boot due to the HDMI issues) I hope for you and your users that documentation improves quickly and that users are pointed to it already when they unbox their board.

The Android image initialized 2GB DRAM on the 2GB board, the Ethernet bug didn't trigger due to our Android software team already get the updated Ethernet driver from Allwinner that I have not aware.
Mine just doesn't boot up. Nothing shows up. And the Pine64 support team is not replying to my mails too. What should I do? I feel cheated.
Indie Android Developer. Latest app: Music Player for Android
(04-25-2016, 08:06 AM)asardiwal Wrote: Mine just doesn't boot up. Nothing shows up. And the Pine64 support team is not replying to my mails too. What should I do? I feel cheated.

I'll help with your issues- PM me or create a new thread for your problem. The Pine64 email is basically being DDoS'ed by constant emails about issues, angry customers, etc. I'd imagine hundreds of emails daily are being received. The Forum here is a better option.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
(04-25-2016, 05:35 PM)pine.tree Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 08:06 AM)asardiwal Wrote: Mine just doesn't boot up. Nothing shows up. And the Pine64 support team is not replying to my mails too. What should I do? I feel cheated.

I'll help with your issues- PM me or create a new thread for your problem. The Pine64 email is basically being DDoS'ed by constant emails about issues, angry customers, etc. I'd imagine hundreds of emails daily are being received. The Forum here is a better option.

I create Micro SD Card from this guide http://rayhightower.com/blog/2016/04/04/...-mac-os-x/,
but I power my pine64, and see only black screen.
I have a defective Pine64? Help me please !(
(04-25-2016, 11:50 PM)shurco Wrote: I create Micro SD Card from this guide http://rayhightower.com/blog/2016/04/04/...-mac-os-x/,
but I power my pine64, and see only black screen.
I have a defective Pine64? Help me please !(

- Be sure to test your micro SD card using this tool: https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/...mment-9861

- Also, there should be a solid red light when you plug in the Pine. 

- What are you using for your video out? Straight HDMI, or converters midline?

- What are you using for your power? Be sure it's a thick cable (20AWG), and using a 2Amp or more power supply or adapter.
Does it take 1 hr to boot up? I got a chance to burn my Remix os today finally figured what was wrong. I had used a microsd adapter to run the pheonix card for some reason it doesn't like it. I changed it to a usb microsd adapter and it worked!
My second issue now is that the board does boot up it will just go to the splash screen pine64 .. nothing else happens.
Going to check connect this to my TV instead of my Dell monitor. - boy why cant it be just ez. Sad
Got to check my Power supply as well - returning this one to the store - the cover was broken.
Sorry about your difficulties, i've found that it's easiest to find a monitor that works with the Pine64, use it just long enough to get an Autorun application setup to launch a VNC server on startup. That way i can have my Pine in a closet or drawer, and use it through my desktop setup.

For the power supply, try and get one that has 2A non-smart output, with 20AWG wire to ensure it can properly power the Pine64.

Hope this helps!
(04-28-2016, 07:10 AM)dsychan Wrote: My second issue now is that the board does boot up it will just go to the splash screen pine64 .. nothing else happens.

Ethernet cable connected?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot Ox64 after SPI Flash IC replacement kotnitro 1 1,055 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM
Last Post: kotnitro
  Star64 first boot (and success) bortzmeyer 1 1,489 05-24-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: draintroup
Exclamation Quartz64 model a wont boot AndyNZAUS 0 1,484 09-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Last Post: AndyNZAUS
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for PINE64, Model: Sopine A64 lamson 0 1,701 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: lamson
  AC Adapter Which One? Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (Year 2016) databaseprogrammer 2 3,351 06-17-2021, 05:35 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,947 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
Lightbulb Live boot with persistence? r00tn3rd 1 3,173 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Last Post: HotChocolate
  Occasional boot toiny 0 2,100 10-18-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: toiny
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,286 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal