Pinebook first impressions
Just received the Pinebook.

First impressions and thoughts.

At first all seemed well.

The battery was 95% charged upon delivery so that was an improvement on many people's experience (flat due to not shutting down properly after testing).

Then I spotted a stuck LCD panel pixel - just a single pixel off to the upper left screen permanently green. Poor QA. Should never have left the factory in that condition.

More concerning is quite serious keyboard faults. For some reason I can't fathom, the '-' (minus) key (between '0' (zero) and '+' (plus) produces multiple key presses on a single quick touch, and then sticks causing repeat characters until I hit another key. Disabling the key repeat in the Mate operating system helps, but why the fault?

I've checked the seating of the ribbon cable. It is fine. I've even lifted off the key cap. No difference with the key cap off and no change when I pop it back on either.

Additionally, I later found that the combination left Shift and 'm' does not produce a capital 'M'. It doesn't produce any key press. The right Shift combined with 'm' correctly produces 'M'.

I can't work out how, if or whether this could be a physical hardware problem or a software scan problem.

Finally, there is no video output to the mini HDMI port on the left hand side on the Pinebook. Should this work yet or do I need to wait for a driver update?

I also have a Rock64, 4GB RAM with 64GB eMMC, which I am very impressed with. I even managed to flash the eMMC without faffing about with a console cable. Just used a jumper cable (actually a GPIO wire from my several Raspberry Pi models!), waited for a few seconds so both eMMC and microSD card were visible to the system, booted off the SD and then wrote an image to /dev/mmcblk0 (the eMMC)

On the whole I am quite disappointed with the Pinebook and regret buying it.  I am pleasantly surprised with the Rock64 which seems to hold much promise. I'm glad I didn't suffer the dreadful experiences with the original Pine64. But I feel I've been stung with the Pinebook. Should have just stuck with the order for the Rock. Oh well!

Any advice and comments would be welcome.
(08-26-2017, 02:18 AM)Pagliacci Wrote: Just received the Pinebook.
<snip>   edited out duplicate content--   MarkHaysHarris777

Well I'm very disappointed that nobody, especially the moderator @MarkHaysHarris777, has bothered to comment on the serious keyboard issues at least.
(09-01-2017, 02:05 AM)Pagliacci Wrote:

<snip>

Well I'm very disappointed that nobody, especially the moderator @MarkHaysHarris777, has bothered to comment on the serious keyboard issues at least.

--  you have got to be kidding, right ?

I am the one who is driving getting the Pinebook keyboard module(s) replaced on the 14" Pinebook, 

Please read this entire thread :

... particularly posts #4, #9, #10, #11, and #12.

Thanks.

Blush

PS:   We have two individuals who will be testing the new Pinebook with updated keyboard on this week.  TLLim has indicated that the vendor is willing to replace the keyboard modules if we insist.  The new Pinebooks ( with updated keyboard modules ) will be shipping next batch, presuming that the two individuals selected to test give it their blessing.

Please check out the rest of the forum, and feel free to discuss anything that concerns you live on the irc chat;  see address below;  I live there most days ( and nights ).
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-01-2017, 03:34 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

<snip>

--  you have got to be kidding, right ?

I am the one who is driving getting the Pinebook keyboard module(s) replaced on the 14" Pinebook, 

Please read this entire thread :

... particularly posts #4, #9, #10, #11, and #12.

Thanks.

Blush

PS:   We have two individuals who will be testing the new Pinebook with updated keyboard on this week.  TLLim has indicated that the vendor is willing to replace the keyboard modules if we insist.  The new Pinebooks ( with updated keyboard modules ) will be shipping next batch, presuming that the two individuals selected to test give it their blessing.

Please check out the rest of the forum, and feel free to discuss anything that concerns you live on the irc chat;  see address below;  I live there most days ( and nights ).

I was referring to the specific serious keyboard faults in my own post. Namely the constantly repeating "-" key and the non functioning Shift m combination (left Shift). Which nobody bothered to even comment on. Is this just another aspect of the Pinebook 14" keyboard woes or another new aspect?

Is it likely that Pinebook 14" owners will have a replacement keyboard sent to them?

I repeat that I regret purchasing the Pinebook (it clearly wasn't ready to be shipped - not tested nearly enough) but the Rock64 board seems promising
(09-01-2017, 04:01 AM)Pagliacci Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 03:34 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

<snip>

I was referring to the specific serious keyboard faults in my own post. Namely the constantly repeating "-" key and the non functioning Shift m combination (left Shift). Which nobody bothered to even comment on. Is this just another aspect of the Pinebook 14" keyboard woes or another new aspect?

Is it likely that Pinebook 14" owners will have a replacement keyboard sent to them?

I repeat that I regret purchasing the Pinebook (it clearly wasn't ready to be shipped - not tested nearly enough) but the Rock64 board seems promising

Ok.  The reason nobody is commenting on them is they are unique to your unit.

... for instance,  on my Pinebook the two Alt keys ( yes both of them ) are dead.  Nobody else is having this problem (seriously).  I have proven that the dead keys are not cabling, matrix, or the module itself;  both modules have the same problem-- so its a defect in the 8051 or in my specific version of the 8051 scan code firmware.

There might be a solder ball on the board, but, its not the fpc connector either !

My point is that many people are experiencing varying problems with the Pinebook keyboards, and we are working hard to resolve them.  But, please don't accuse any of us, especially me, of not caring nor commenting.  That's all I've done with respect to this keyboard issue since my Pinebook arrived.

As I stated before, the vendor is willing to replace the modules if we insist;  I think we should insist !  We're working in that direction, and the negotiations are looking promising ;  my module replacement went well;  I documented it thoroughly if you read the thread.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I would like to recommend that you open a support ticket with Pine , and have the Pinebook replaced under warranty;  you might want to wait and see if they will replace it with the model with the better keyboard.

Shy
marcushh777    Cool

(09-01-2017, 08:45 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: I would like to recommend that you open a support ticket with Pine , and have the Pinebook replaced under warranty;  you might want to wait and see if they will replace it with the model with the better keyboard.

Shy

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already done so. But Pine have not bothered to respond to the Support Ticket. Not even an acknowledgement of receipt.
I like the Pinebook, and I have come to accept the keyboard shortcomings and with a bit of use have gotten used to it. I have a spacebar issue as well. I put in a ticket a week ago and this is the response I got.....meh..

The current Pinebook space bar may not register keystroke if press lightly on both end of space bar.

... support team
(09-03-2017, 06:31 AM)debaser Wrote: I like the Pinebook, and I have come to accept the keyboard shortcomings and with a bit of use have gotten used to it. I have a spacebar issue as well. I put in a ticket a week ago and this is the response I got.....meh..

The current Pinebook space bar may not register keystroke if press lightly on both end of space bar.

... support team

Thanks @debaser.

The Support Ticket I raised was regarding the specific faults on my Pinebook keyboard, rather than the other more general "light touch" failures to register keystrokes.

As I said, Pine didn't bother responding to the Ticket, not even an acknowledgement.
(09-03-2017, 07:20 AM)Pagliacci Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:31 AM)debaser Wrote: I like the Pinebook, and I have come to accept the keyboard shortcomings and with a bit of use have gotten used to it. I have a spacebar issue as well. I put in a ticket a week ago and this is the response I got.....meh..

... support team

Thanks @debaser.

The Support Ticket I raised was regarding the specific faults on my Pinebook keyboard, rather than the other more general "light touch" failures to register keystrokes.

As I said, Pine didn't bother responding to the Ticket, not even an acknowledgement.

@MarkHaysHarris I am having difficulty getting any response from Pine on attempts to get my keyboard replaced. Can you help in any way by talking directly to the team?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,199 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 914 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,247 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,576 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 954 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,593 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,493 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,672 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,596 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,972 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg