Anyone else disappointed?
(03-30-2016, 12:22 PM)nomadewolf Wrote: For me the dealbreaker is the lack of 2D/3D drivers for Linux.
This could have been the new Pi.
But it fell short exactly where everyone else did.

It's a sore point for the open source movement. The problem with any cheap microcontroller board is it is going to use a 3d chip from major vendors who have them dirt cheap and full of IP and binary blob drivers, its a fact of life. The 3d Driver landscape sucks. It's not like we expect a chip capable of the frame rate of a $500 GPU, just functional. The PI platform has a lot of need to know crap related to that broadcom chip that is irritating enough to me that I have only bought 2 of them. I am hoping this will get popular enough to be a viable replacement for my needs. We will see. I'm not disappointed with this yet, too soon to tell. Once I order a camera for it and wifi etc we will see.
For me the disappointment is the lack of viable OS. It MAY be a kickstart as has been pointed but it was advertised as supporting xbmc - and it doesnt, and linux, and it doesnt - yet. Pleased to see there are dedicated guys working in the background to bring that to fruition. But to me, no usable OS is like selling a car with no engine.
(04-09-2016, 01:39 PM)wolfrock Wrote: For me the disappointment is the lack of viable OS. It MAY be a kickstart as has been pointed but it was advertised as supporting xbmc - and it doesnt, and linux, and it doesnt - yet. Pleased to see there are dedicated guys working in the background to bring that to fruition. But to me, no usable OS is like selling a car with no engine.

Last I checked Linux was working just fine, aside from some small issues.
(04-09-2016, 01:39 PM)wolfrock Wrote: For me the disappointment is the lack of viable OS. It MAY be a kickstart as has been pointed but it was advertised as supporting xbmc - and it doesnt, and linux, and it doesnt - yet. Pleased to see there are dedicated guys working in the background to bring that to fruition. But to me, no usable OS is like selling a car with no engine.

You are right by mentioning the Pine64 kickstarter guys mentioned a lot of OS and software to be running on the Pine, but most of them are still developing for the Pine's need. But assuming they just focus at the moment on the shipping of hardware to get the boards to the backers, so there will be more support also from the Pine guys (hopefully) towards software development.

I got my Pine on April 1st (no joke) and was also a little bit frustrated at the beginning because of lacking OS and 'out-of-the-box' software, but hey guys, the PI3 (and i own 4 PIs in total) came out 4 years after they started and even still with 100MBit only, so we all should give the Pine guys respect for the hardware and support everybody doing hard work on the software side. If everybody buying a Pine would support the (mainly volunteers!) OS guys with just 1$, they can build a lot of software Angel

As far as i see in this forum there are a lot of promising projects for the Pine and i'm sure, there will be more and more 'perfect' software for it.
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(04-09-2016, 05:16 PM)androsch Wrote:

You are right by mentioning the Pine64 kickstarter guys mentioned a lot of OS and software to be running on the Pine, but most of them are still developing for the Pine's need. But assuming they just focus at the moment on the shipping of hardware to get the boards to the backers, so there will be more support also from the Pine guys (hopefully) towards software development.

I got my Pine on April 1st (no joke) and was also a little bit frustrated at the beginning because of lacking OS and 'out-of-the-box' software, but hey guys, the PI3 (and i own 4 PIs in total) came out 4 years after they started and even still with 100MBit only, so we all should give the Pine guys respect for the hardware and support everybody doing hard work on the software side. If everybody buying a Pine would support the (mainly volunteers!) OS guys with just 1$, they can build a lot of software Angel

As far as i see in this forum there are a lot of promising projects for the Pine and i'm sure, there will be more and more 'perfect' software for it.

Well said. Many newcomers don't grasp the concept of open source, community driven software. The Raspberry Pi and Kickstarter have brought a whole host of great hardware to the world, but along with that come the people who probably have little business fiddling in the OSS community. Kickstarter especially. Some people have no idea what they are buying.
Just to be honest, while i have experience with the PIs and their basic concept, their great advantage was, their goal from the start was to provide a cheap and world wide easy to use platform, so they had a hardware _and_ software concept to get the best combination and keep everything under their own control.

The Pine guys just provided a cheap hardware platform and promised there will be some community driven software/OS development. They always said, they will support everybody willing to do development with boards and specs, but they never mentioned (as far as i now) to develop this themselves.

So the 'normal' backer maybe is frustrated now, because their marketing wasn't so bad and i assume many backers (and i must admit me too) mainly hoped for a cheap running all kind of software at full speed 4K device ;-)

But nevertheless, good things need time (as we say in Germany), so lets just have a look at the next steps...
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
Is a new product, with a new community. We must grow slowly and making it better all together. At the beginning all is frustrating, for us (users/developers) and for the Pine64 creators. Between those first months many new bugs and issues will be discovered as on all new projects, the nature of a project. But I'm sure we all together are going to fix them and create a big community.
Heart PINE64: StackExchange Community => PINE64 Commmunity Proposal.

Proposal Status Link to Forum=> PINE64 Status Forum
Remenber to Upvote Proposed questions. And give a Follow.
Sad 
I wonder when I'll get mine..
Interesting thread this one...

I'm I disappointed ?

partly yes, no h/w acceleration yet in some OS's, but this was true when I got my very first PI, and there are a number of issues with the 2GB version.

I'm I unhappy? No, In time this will all get resolved, this is the start of the journey, who knows what the destination will be.

The Raspberry PI 3 is not a Pine64, and that is good news, I also consider myself a member of each community, We also need more products like this as its the only way to get better and better products and projects.

This will die if we do not come together as a community and support each other.....
I have bought 4 PI 3's and I am happy with them. I agree lack of 1G networking and being limited to 1G memory is putting a cap on what you can do with Pi. But great community and solid Linux support, makes up for it and then some.

I also didn't like this $7 shipping charges. it reminded me of 90's late night TV commercials with shipping and handling charges of nearly half the price of the goods themselves. This is not really a $15 computer. And if consider that not only you have to pay extra for BT and WiFi, you have to pay extra for shipping them even though they ship with the board,.. this all leaves a bad taste in your mouth even if you know what you are paying for. You feel your intelligence is being insulted and you have no choice but to take it.

Add to this what I call "lack of transparency", "emails whining about customers who whine", "quality issues", and then I find myself dealing with a company/team that I would never deal with again. I must also say that I am more disappointed in people on this forum that defend them and looking for sympathy because what some crazy guy did.

I already cancelled the two Pine 64 units I ordered after the pledge period ended and more likely than not, I will try to sell the two that I bought as part of the pledge (if/when I get them) provided I can get somebody to pay $8 for shipping for $40 worth of goods in this day and age.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  disappointed Jschnee 6 8,425 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  very disappointed strontium62 7 9,189 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Beryllium
Sad Disappointed That I Bought the 2GB model FiZiX 40 65,949 04-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Tarjei85