Retroarch on A64
(09-09-2017, 04:51 PM)easilytheworst Wrote: hello, first post

fwiw the latest image provided by pfeerick in the first post, 0.7.5.8, boots no issues and has a smooth running menu on my OrangePi Win Plus which is a64 based. Just wanted to say thanks for the great work. I cant wait to put in some testing hours once my new gamepad arrives

You may wish to add the following to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
     Option "BlankTime" "0"
     Option "StandbyTime" "0"
     Option "SuspendTime" "0"
     Option "OffTime" "0"

Otherwise the image will freeze up. 

I am currently doing something rather exciting with this image (will share in a few weeks) and so I have been tinkering with it a lot.
For one, I think I now understand how to get N64 and PSX working. Once Pete is back I will talk to him so we can get another build out.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

any news on this topic Luke ?
(11-19-2017, 06:31 PM)Metalazzo Wrote: any news on this topic Luke ?

With Lakka support coming I've left this behind. You can still use the script to install and automatically set up Retroarch on any of ayufan's minimal images Smile

(11-20-2017, 04:54 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 06:31 PM)Metalazzo Wrote: any news on this topic Luke ?

With Lakka support coming I've left this behind. You can still use the script to install and automatically set up Retroarch on any of ayufan's minimal images Smile

I don't see Pine64 listed on the Lakka site as having a build of their image.  Do you have a status update on this? I'm going to attempt to install using your script and this image[/url]
Code:
xenial-minimal-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.19-118.img.xz
[url=https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases/download/0.7.19/xenial-minimal-pinebook-bspkernel-0.7.19-118.img.xz]
Chatted with lukasz on IRC who refreshed me on a few things. Since this thread is a tad old, I thought I'd share my experimentation findings and solutions.

Lakka 2.1 (as of 2018-01-08) does NOT yet support Pinebook. http://www.lakka.tv/articles/2017/11/26/...e-release/

My test case:
- Pinebook 14"
- 128GB microSD (not relevant?)
- OS Image: https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-b...118.img.xz

Steps I Followed:
  1. Installed the image using Pine64 Installer which did not see the image online as the latest, so I had to download the image myself, and point the installer at it. 
  2. Login and enable Networking using the USB Ethernet dongle from Pine64.
    Login with: pine64/pine64ifconfig -a    --> note the enx[MAC] interface namesudo ifconfig enx[MAC] upsudo dhclienttest:ping -c 4 google.com
  3. Apply this fix from Post #21 to prevent the os from dying once Retroarch gets installed and the screen blanks. Additional xorg docs.
    cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dsudo touch 60-pine64-retroarch-noblank.confsudo chmod +rw 60-pine64-retroarch-noblank.confsudo cat < 60-pine64-retroarch-noblank.conf <<EOFSection "ServerLayout"  Identifier     "Layout0"  Screen      0  "Screen0"  InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"  InputDevice    "Evdev Mouse" "CorePointer"    Option "BlankTime" "0"    Option "StandbyTime" "0"    Option "SuspendTime" "0"    Option "OffTime" "0"EndSectionEOF
  4. Fetch the Install Script, enable execution, and run the script. These are the instructions listed at the top of this thread.
    ssh pine64@192.168.x.xsudo nano install_retroarch.sh(paste)ctrl+shift+xy (save and exit)enter (use filename)sudo chmod +x install_retroarch.sh
  5. Add these four lines into the script after line 43 (sleep 2) then execute the script. Sleep for a total of 30 seconds, re-scan for USB devices turn on the USB Ethernet adapter and start DHCP to fetch an IP address.

Code:
    sleep 28
    udevadm trigger
    ifconfig $(ifconfig -a | grep -o "enx\w*" up
    dhclient

sudo ./install_retroarch.sh

USB Ethernet Note:
About 50% of the time the system boots (off the base image, prior to running the install script) the USB Ethernet adapter (sold by pine64) is not detected by the system. lsusb is not installed so I can't run that and udevadm trigger doesn't seem to catch it all the time either. I haven't been able to figure out why this is happening, or how to fix it for certain. Sometimes, udevadm trigger works, sometimes just waiting longer after the boot sequence to login works. So I've added some extra delay to the boot script and a trigger command, hoping that one of these will do the trick.
Test cases: 
  • <30s wait at login screen
  • >30m wait at login screen
  • reboot host from SSH client
  • reboot host, from local machine, while SSH client connected
Sources:  The ethernet device needs to be brought up and dhcp client started upon every boot, so I wrote a quick alias that can be added to your ~/.bashrc file
Code:
alias ipconfig='sudo ifconfig $(ifconfig -a | grep -o "en\w*") up && sudo dhclient'

SSH Side Note:
I used "Secure Shell", a Chrome plugin, as my SSH client, so its easy to just open a new tab and type
Code:
ssh pine64@192.168.x.x
I ran into issues while testing this, where the SSH client performed strict Fingerprint checking and would not allow me to connect to the same IP after reinstalling the OS. To get past that, open the SSH client, open the Java Console and enter:
Code:
term_.command.removeKnownHostByIndex(index)
--or--
term_.command.removeAllKnownHosts()

More to come after further testing, this was just the system install.

Update 1:
I totally broke it. The system boots and fails to launch retroarch showing xorg errors along with errors from ifconfig and dhclient showing that the enx* interface was not detected. I suspect it is related to the xorg.conf.d file I put together which clearly I don't understand. Also, I can no longer edit the files in xorg.conf.d so I'll have to rebuild the image to try again. Next test, add only the four Option lines to sunxi.conf created by the install script after install before reboot.
Anyone else experiencing issues when you put ROMS in the ROMS folder the system fails to boot after?

I have since re-installed the image multiple times and still see this issue.

Maybe I am missing something, but if I have no ROMS on the microSD then the system loads fine.
(02-28-2018, 09:11 PM)podtofs Wrote: Anyone else experiencing issues when you put ROMS in the ROMS folder the system fails to boot after?

Maybe I am missing something, but if I have no ROMS on the microSD then the system loads fine.
Have you updated the image ? Perhaps its some issue with smb - just disable the share folder from cli.

(09-09-2017, 04:51 PM)easilytheworst Wrote: hello, first post

fwiw the latest image provided by pfeerick in the first post, 0.7.5.8, boots no issues and has a smooth running menu on my OrangePi Win Plus which is a64 based. Just wanted to say thanks for the great work. I cant wait to put in some testing hours once my new gamepad arrives

I'm trying to get it working on my OrangePi Win Plus. 
I've tried the same image as you mentioned and I can see the menu screen, but the usb ports didn't work.

Can you (or anyone) help me?
(03-01-2018, 01:55 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 09:11 PM)podtofs Wrote: Anyone else experiencing issues when you put ROMS in the ROMS folder the system fails to boot after?

Have you updated the image ? Perhaps its some issue with smb - just disable the share folder from cli.

Luke,

I did update the image based on the available xenial in jenkins from this post.  With the CLI disabled I also tried copying the roms over manually and this seems to go into a brick state.  I appreciate all the assistance in advance.
(03-03-2018, 12:34 PM)podtofs Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 01:55 AM)Luke Wrote:

Luke,

I did update the image based on the available xenial in jenkins from this post.  With the CLI disabled I also tried copying the roms over manually and this seems to go into a brick state.  I appreciate all the assistance in advance.

I'll try to check it out this coming week. Could you post dmesg and x.org logs in pastebin?  Would be easier to figure out what breaks the installation. 
Also, that image is rather old. Perhaps it would be a good idea to use the script to install on a newer image.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Retroarch gamepad issue birdcatx7 6 12,083 04-09-2020, 04:01 PM
Last Post: lawrencejd
  Retroarch or Retropine lawrencejd 2 5,758 04-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: lawrencejd