How to install and boot ROCK64 from eMMC?
(08-01-2017, 04:43 AM)sjk Wrote: I would not use the adapter on the rock64, but from my Linux laptop to prepare the emmc module. Them put it in the rock64 and boot.

You should have no problems then. The same image goes on regardless of if it's a SD card or eMMC, so it's just a matter of using the Pine64 Installer, choosing the Rock64 board type from the drop down at the top, and using one of the stock OS images, or downloading of the other ones from the list on the wiki and using the 'Browse image from local drive' option. Or using some other piece of software of your choosing (Ether, dd, etc) and writing the manually download image.
(08-01-2017, 06:21 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 04:43 AM)sjk Wrote: I would not use the adapter on the rock64, but from my Linux laptop to prepare the emmc module. Them put it in the rock64 and boot.

You should have no problems then. The same image goes on regardless of if it's a SD card or eMMC, so it's just a matter of using the Pine64 Installer, choosing the Rock64 board type from the drop down at the top, and using one of the stock OS images, or downloading of the other ones from the list on the wiki and using the 'Browse image from local drive' option. Or using some other piece of software of your choosing (Ether, dd, etc) and writing the manually download image.
Great. I guess what I needed to know is that the fs structure is the same on sdcard as on the emmc. Thanks for the confirmation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
When I install my emmc module will I still be able to use micro sd for storage as well?
(08-12-2017, 05:00 PM)soldierx Wrote: When I install my emmc module will I still be able to use micro sd for storage as well?

Yes.  Assuming you don't change the dts|dtb describing the SD slot.  For instance I disable the SD card slot for SD storage when I'm booting from eMMC;  because I want to use the SD card slot for gpio(s) control !  The card slot supports gpio | SPI, Jtag support,  or SD storage.

If you change nothing you may use the SD as removable storage when the unit is booted from eMMC.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-12-2017, 05:08 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 05:00 PM)soldierx Wrote: When I install my emmc module will I still be able to use micro sd for storage as well?

Yes.  Assuming you don't change the dts|dtb describing the SD slot.  For instance I disable the SD card slot for SD storage when I'm booting from eMMC;  because I want to use the SD card slot for gpio(s) control !  The card slot supports gpio | SPI, Jtag support,  or SD storage.

If you change nothing you may use the SD as removable storage when the unit is booted from eMMC.

Thanks,that's what I needed to know Smile
I have a 64Gb emmc coming with my board and a 128Gb micro sd card in hand.
Thanks again!! Smile
So I got my ROCK64 (Awesome board :-)) running Xenial-mate from the SD card. I also have the eMMC module installed.
Is there a way to flash Xenial-mate to the eMMC from the currently running OS?

I should note I've looked at the wiki and elsewhere on the forum and haven't found a definitive answer/guide that addresses this.
I will give you the steps here; if you have trouble please visit us on irc #Rock64 and we'll help you there live.

1) interrupt a normal SD card boot-up at the uboot timer

2) remove the jumper

3) enter boot

4) once the machine is booted make sure you have both store devices in /dev (mmcblk0 and mmcblk1)

5) use the curl command to copy the image you want directly from the network to the eMMC

sample curl command:

curl -L https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...m64.img.xz | unxz -c > /dev/mmcblk0

( this assumes that the eMMC is device mmcblk0 )

The reason I mention the above paren, is that this has changed a couple of times. The SD card should be mmcblk1 and the eMMC should be mmcblk0.

The curl command (above) will copy the image from the network (github) directly to the eMMC module; then just make sure the jumper is OFF and reboot; the system should boot-up from the eMMC.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I'm sure we will come up with something straightforward in the future ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thank you for your help, Mark.
Unfortunately, I'm running the ROCK64 without a monitor so I'm not sure I can follow that procedure.
I'm hoping for a simpler solution in the future.

Thanks again!
(08-14-2017, 03:07 PM)kershaw Wrote: Thank you for your help, Mark.
Unfortunately, I'm running the ROCK64 without a monitor so I'm not sure I can follow that procedure.
I'm hoping for a simpler solution in the future.

Thanks again!

I don't have a monitor either;  I use the serial console cable adapter.  (how to do this is clearly documented more than a few times on the forum too )

In fact, you can't do the procedure above easily WITH a monitor;  you really need to use the serial console cable so that you can see the bootup messages and stop the bootup at the timer!

( believe it or not, this is the simplest and easiest way to load the eMMC )

Wink
marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 114 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,452 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,864 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 255 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  Boot from SPI first mjnck 1 1,452 02-29-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: reukiodo
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,771 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,793 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,399 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,974 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 703 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver