Pinebook 14 Speaker Volume
Hi,

I just received my PineBook and noticed the speaker don't get very loud.. there is noise coming out from them, but it's very faint. I have to put my ear a few inches away to hear it clearly. I tried turning up the volume on the system and the audio application to full. Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know what might be happening?

Thanks,
(06-21-2017, 11:48 AM)mseth Wrote: Hi,

I just received my PineBook and noticed the speaker don't get very loud.. there is noise coming out from them, but it's very faint. I have to put my ear a few inches away to hear it clearly. I tried turning up the volume on the system and the audio application to full. Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know what might be happening?

Thanks,

What is your audio source? I have played YouTube videos and there is plenty of audio volume. Have you tried using the hotkeys (I think they are f3-f5)?
Just to make sure, open a terminal and alsamixer, then check AIF1 DAC timeslot 0 volume = ca. 65, DAC Volume = ca. 60 and Speaker Volume ca. 80-90 , those settings usually work for me. Overall the speakers are not super loud and it is better to use headphones/earplugs, but in normal environments you should easily hear something ;-)
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
I am having the same problem. I need to put my ear to the desk to hear anything.

(06-21-2017, 02:51 PM)macacob Wrote: I am having the same problem.  I need to put my ear to the desk to hear anything.

Xalius' suggested settings fixed my issue.   Thanks!

(06-21-2017, 02:44 PM)xalius Wrote: Just to make sure, open a terminal and alsamixer, then check AIF1 DAC timeslot 0 volume = ca. 65, DAC Volume = ca. 60 and Speaker Volume ca. 80-90 , those settings usually work for me. Overall the speakers are not super loud and it is better to use headphones/earplugs, but in normal environments you should easily hear something ;-)

Extremely helpful!  It isn't exactly booming but I can definitely hear it now.   Thanks!
Did work also for me.
After leaving the alsamixer I also used:
sudo alsactl store

for storing this setting permanently Smile
(06-21-2017, 02:44 PM)xalius Wrote: Just to make sure, open a terminal and alsamixer, then check AIF1 DAC timeslot 0 volume = ca. 65, DAC Volume = ca. 60 and Speaker Volume ca. 80-90 , those settings usually work for me. Overall the speakers are not super loud and it is better to use headphones/earplugs, but in normal environments you should easily hear something ;-)
Pardon my utter ignorance, but could you be more specific about how to check those parameters. Here's my incomplete instruction list:
* In the Debian menus (upper left) select: /Applications/System Tools/Mate Terminal
* In the terminal enter: alsamixer
* This opens AlsaMixer V1.1.0
* In AlsaMixer: [and here's where I am completely unable to find the three parameters above or a way to set them ... I'd appreciate your help]

Regards,
Jared
(07-05-2017, 07:14 PM)JaredF Wrote: 1 In the Debian menus (upper left) select: /Applications/System Tools/Mate Terminal
2 In the terminal enter: alsamixer
3 This opens AlsaMixer V1.1.0
4 In AlsaMixer: [and here's where I am completely unable to find the three parameters above or a way to set them ... I'd appreciate your help]

I've just numbered your above steps so I could keep going...

5 Press the left arrow (as in, the left arrow key on the keyboard!) until you come across AIF1 DAC timeslot 0 volume, and if the value isn't around 65, use the up and down arrows to increase/decrease it.

6 Keep using the left arrow until you get to DAC volume, and then press the up and down arrows to increase / decrease the value to approximately 60.

7 Keep using the left arrow until you get to the Speaker volume (very last entry), and use the up and down arrows to increase / decrease the value to between 80 - 90.

8 If you sound is now working, press esc to exit alsamixer, and run 'sudo alsactl store' to save these settings to file so it is used in the future.
(07-05-2017, 08:45 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 07:14 PM)JaredF Wrote: 1 In the Debian menus (upper left) select: /Applications/System Tools/Mate Terminal
2 In the terminal enter: alsamixer
3 This opens AlsaMixer V1.1.0
4 In AlsaMixer: [and here's where I am completely unable to find the three parameters above or a way to set them ... I'd appreciate your help]

I've just numbered your above steps so I could keep going...

5 Press the left arrow (as in, the left arrow key on the keyboard!) until you come across AIF1 DAC timeslot 0 volume, and if the value isn't around 65, use the up and down arrows to increase/decrease it.

6 Keep using the left arrow until you get to DAC volume, and then press the up and down arrows to increase / decrease the value to approximately 60.

7 Keep using the left arrow until you get to the Speaker volume (very last entry), and use the up and down arrows to increase / decrease the value to between 80 - 90.

8 If you sound is now working, press esc to exit alsamixer, and run 'sudo alsactl store' to save these settings to file so it is used in the future.

Ah, thank you. That was simple and effective instruction concerning a counter-intuitive interface. And to add to the instructions

7.5 Keep using the left arrow until you get to headphone volume, and use the up and down arrows to set it to 90 or so.

-J
(07-05-2017, 06:44 AM)guidol Wrote: Did work also for me.
After leaving the alsamixer I also used:
sudo alsactl store

for storing this setting permanently Smile

It looks to me that it is not stored permanently (any more).
When I reboot the system, some values are different. I am still investigating on which...

It worked in the past though, at least once!
Mick 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,143 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,533 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 771 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 603 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,232 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,113 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,658 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,078 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,713 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,733 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442