[Solved] Boot Issues
Recently, I'm having boot issues with my pine64 1GB model.

I normally run the board as a headless server and the uptime was almost 3 months. I run transmission-daemon, plexmediaserver, and ssh-server on the board. For OS, I was using Debian Jesse (I think kernel version 3.10, but not 100% sure).

Additional information:
  • SSH runs on a non-standard (not 22) port (no VPN)
  • Normally I have external HDDs plugged into the board via an externally powered USB hub
  • Board does not boot with or without Ethernet
  • Board does not boot with HDMI plugged in
  • Board does not boot with or without external USB hub plugged in
  • I've been using the OnePlus One charger as a power supply for over a year without an problem (I believe it's 5V 2A)
  • I have tried other phone chargers as well to no avail
  • When power is supplied, board light turns red but I cannot ssh into the board nor does it power an external display via HDMI
  • My SD card is G.Skill 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC
Any ideas as to what could be the issue?
Problems like this are almost always PSU power related;  but, also corruption of SD card cannot be ruled out.  

Often if you can get it to boot up, it will run for a long time on a marginal power supply;  boot up creates spikes that can cause issues if the PSU is marginal;  I will not argue about it though.

We recommend 5.1v @2500ma  2.5A

Also, Samsung Evo Plus Class 10 cards, 32Gb.

There have been many enhancements lately;  you might try a newer kernel since you're almost certainly going to have to reload the SD card anyway.  Don't use a charger, get yourself a good switching power supply ; two wire 18-22 AWG and power the board via the euler bus.  

There are several good articles in the DCIN section of the forum; with pics.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
While Marcus is right that the PSU is the culprit in a lot of cases, it seems odd that you would get nearly 3 months of uptime and then suddenly it refuses to co-operate... so I'd be more inclined to think SD card corruption or failure also. Have you tried another SD card, or a fresh image?

Has that system had any recent updates that could have broken something?
Yeah, I could definitely swap out the PSU, but let me try first to see if it's an SD card corruption issue by flashing a new image on the SD card.

Will report back the results.
i hope i'm wrong but you certainly present the best write-up for a dead board i have read on this forum. jeepers, it seems the only thing working is a red LED. just kidding, of course.
(05-30-2017, 06:39 PM)dkryder Wrote: i hope i'm wrong but you certainly present the best write-up for a dead board i have read on this forum.  jeepers, it seems the only thing working is a red LED. just kidding, of course.

heh heh,  nah-- its an illusion.

Angel
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(05-30-2017, 06:39 PM)dkryder Wrote: i hope i'm wrong but you certainly present the best write-up for a dead board i have read on this forum.  jeepers, it seems the only thing working is a red LED. just kidding, of course.

Ah... but lighting an LED is a feat in itself you know! I mean... finding the right cable, right power supply, right led :-P

Hopefully we can get more than a LED lighting up though... as the pine64 is capable of more thank just that! Big Grin Big Grin
Quick update: I got a new SD card (Samsung Evo Plus Class 10 32GB) and no luck. Still no HDMI out and still cannot SSH.

Moving on to trying a new power supply.
(06-04-2017, 12:07 PM)dedseason Wrote: Quick update: I got a new SD card (Samsung Evo Plus Class 10 32GB) and no luck. Still no HDMI out and still cannot SSH.

Ok so upon further investigation, it turns out that SD card is 100% corrupted. With the new SD card, I was able to ssh into it after a few tries.

I got a new PSU that's rated at 2.5A and am able to ssh into it perfectly fine. So, looks like it was a combination of SD card + PSU.
(06-08-2017, 07:45 PM)dedseason Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 12:07 PM)dedseason Wrote: Quick update: I got a new SD card (Samsung Evo Plus Class 10 32GB) and no luck. Still no HDMI out and still cannot SSH.

Ok so upon further investigation, it turns out that SD card is 100% corrupted. With the new SD card, I was able to ssh into it after a few tries.

I got a new PSU that's rated at 2.5A and am able to ssh into it perfectly fine. So, looks like it was a combination of SD card + PSU.

Glad to see that you got it working;  well done !   Big Grin
marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,505 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Pine A64 does only boot with Android 5.1 Dude 6 3,775 07-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Dude
  Pine A64+ vs LCD do not boot DDS 3 5,864 02-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: thedu
Exclamation Can't boot when SD card inserted kivox 5 7,916 03-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: kivox
  Boot from HDD via usb BnEc 1 3,657 11-29-2019, 04:39 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Pine A64 stuck in boot process joey 1 3,380 05-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: joey
  Won't power on/boot -- kickstarter A64 2GB fuzzycuffs 3 6,248 02-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Last Post: GaryFunk
  boot loop with lcd plugged in drock 0 2,005 01-09-2019, 01:37 AM
Last Post: drock
  LED flashes for 1 second, board won't boot Audioslave 2 4,064 08-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Last Post: tllim
  +LTS/SOPINE [SOLVED] How to change mac address cemzafer 0 1,895 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: cemzafer