Lego Case
(05-16-2016, 03:17 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote: I built one from a wide variety of the shoddy Lego my nephews have dumped at my Mother-in-law's house. Took me a couple of hours to dig out the bricks to make a box with a lid for the Pine. I'll assemble the box and the Pine tomorrow night, and we'll see if I have to move the lid around.
I'd nearly forgotten how fun it is to geek out with legos. My wife didn't understand it at all, but she's not into computers or Lego, so I can't blame her for thinking he husband is a big kid sometimes. Dad of the year award incoming when I get Emulation Station and the controllers hooked up to the pine and then to the 50" TV, though.

Sounds like you are going to use the pine the same way I am.
I am currently running Android 5.1.1 20160505 buildwith Lightning Launcher on my Pine a64+ 2Gb board thats hooked up to my 55" TV.
Currently I have LOTS of different Android games running on it as well as GBA, NDS, PSP, SNES, DOSBox and PSx emulators with a wide variety of games to each emulator.

Looking forward to see your Lego casing Smile
@Tarjei85 - Yeah that is a bit of a cheat but yah I see what you have going on there now, its no less impressive. The close in looks great, though you loose what, every other LED? I was thinking you could use 1x1 translucent bricks and then pop a solid color brick between them so that the LED's each have there own window. I dont know if it would be just a 1x1x1/3 for each led or two of them per, and your right not everyone has a tonne of legos. So your technicolor build is acceptable. TBH I have not bought too many bricks to use specifically on this project, maybe 10-15% BUT I have to admit I am running low on 1xYx1/3 bricks or plates as they are sometimes refered to. So, I may start purchasing more if I need too, or start using another color. I have yellow but most of them are small.

@CaptainZalo - My wife groans everytime I take out the Lego's and thats JUST for this project. I don't take them out often these days, but she doesn't get anything I do, the computer stuff, games, Lego, SCA, Anime, we see eye to eye on most philosophical matters and a lot of political ones, most parenting ones as well. I love my wife dearly but she is not a geek, and while she does enjoy most of what I can do when it comes to repairing things around the house, cooking, cleaaning, sewing, she doesn't care for the clutter electronics, computers, and well any tinkering really can create. I tell her I am pretty damned organized for how much I do, and how much I have, and show her pictures of others benches and she just grumbles something about dump trucks and walks away AHAHAHAHA!!!!
Little beats big when little is smart. First with the head, then with the heart.  P.K. ~Power of One~
(05-16-2016, 03:41 PM)MrWizerd Wrote: @Tarjei85 - Yeah that is a bit of  a cheat but yah I see what you have going on there now, its no less impressive.  The close in looks great, though you loose what, every other LED?  I was thinking you could use 1x1 translucent bricks and then pop a solid color brick between them so that the LED's each have there own window.  I dont know if it would be just a 1x1x1/3 for each led or two of them per, and your right not everyone has a tonne of legos.  So your technicolor build is acceptable.  TBH I have not bought too many bricks to use specifically on this project, maybe 10-15% BUT I have to admit I am running low on 1xYx1/3 bricks or plates as they are sometimes refered to.  So, I may start purchasing more if I need too, or start using another color.  I have yellow but most of them are small.

@CaptainZalo - My wife groans everytime I take out the Lego's and thats JUST for this project.  I don't take them out often these days, but she doesn't get anything I do, the computer stuff, games, Lego, SCA, Anime,  we see eye to eye on most philosophical matters and a lot of political ones, most parenting ones as well.  I love my wife dearly but she is not a geek, and while she does enjoy most of what I can do when it comes to repairing things around the house, cooking, cleaaning, sewing, she doesn't care for the clutter electronics, computers, and well any tinkering really can create.  I tell her I am pretty damned organized for how much I do, and how much I have, and show her pictures of others benches and she just grumbles something about dump trucks and walks away AHAHAHAHA!!!!
If I had enough translucent blocks I would have done it like you said, but unfortunately im short like 50 blocks.
Yeah, I probably don't have enough myself to do both, maybe one tower, I am actually happy with brick link I can get Any brick dirt cheap, and I don't have to wade through pounds of Lego's I don't need to find the few I do I a lot sold buy the pound padded with mega blocks or worse. You can also search sellers by country you should check it out. On a side note I got the i2c portion of the pi header connected and I was able to ping the sensors for there addresses in Ubuntu, now I just need to figure out how to program it.
Little beats big when little is smart. First with the head, then with the heart.  P.K. ~Power of One~
Tarjei85 Wrote:Sounds like you are going to use the pine the same way I am.
I am currently running Android 5.1.1 20160505 buildwith Lightning Launcher on my Pine a64+ 2Gb board thats hooked up to my 55" TV.
Currently I have LOTS of different Android games running on it as well as GBA, NDS, PSP, SNES, DOSBox and PSx emulators with a wide variety of games to each emulator.

I'm using Emulation Station on Linux. It's a bit more hassle to set up, but also handles most C64, Atari ST and Amiga 500/600/1200 games as well as those platforms you mentioned.
As an old Amiga fanboy, I've bought roms from Amiga Forever and put those into ES. I can run a functioning Workbench with AmigaOS 3.1 on the RPi3, but I really want to see it fly with hardware accelleration on the Pine64 before I sink my feet into the Apollo-core magic next year.

Tarjei85 Wrote:Looking forward to see your Lego casing Smile

Oh dear. I took some pictures. Lo and behold: PICTARS
(05-17-2016, 02:01 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote:
Tarjei85 Wrote:Sounds like you are going to use the pine the same way I am.

I'm using Emulation Station on Linux. It's a bit more hassle to set up, but also handles most C64, Atari ST and Amiga 500/600/1200 games as well as those platforms you mentioned.
As an old Amiga fanboy, I've bought roms from Amiga Forever and put those into ES. I can run a functioning Workbench with AmigaOS 3.1 on the RPi3, but I really want to see it fly with hardware accelleration on the Pine64 before I sink my feet into the Apollo-core magic next year.

Tarjei85 Wrote:Looking forward to see your Lego casing Smile

Oh dear. I took some pictures. Lo and behold: PICTARS

looking good Smile

I've just ordered some fans I'm going to mount in my Lego casing.
This is the fans I ordered from Ali. Cheap as he*l but I hope they will do.
(And I really hope they are genuine 5V fans and not like the others I've ordered earlier that say they are 5V but they actually need 12V to work).
Today I added a 7-port USB hub to my pine (an externally powered one). This is now used to power the pine as well as all other usb stuff I could think about connecting to it.
As the rest of my Pine-setup is built in to Legos i obviously had to do the same to the USB-hub. here is what it looks like...

and here is without the lid:

That's hilarious, I just added a hub as well but it's long and skinny and in an trying to devise a method still, I will pass pictures soon burn a bad week for me so I have little progress on :/ anything
So, I have the worse luck with Micro USB ports and as much power as is going through this one I figured I did not want to take the chance.  So I wired up a 5.5mm plug and framed it in under the board. then out through the "front" and back into the Euler header.

[Image: duSvmpr.jpg]
[Image: UWrQ02u.jpg]
[Image: vWKxilO.jpg]
(05-22-2016, 03:47 PM)MrWizerd Wrote: So, I have the worse luck with Micro USB ports and as much power as is going through this one I figured I did not want to take the chance.  So I wired up a 5.5mm plug and framed it in under the board. then out through the "front" and back into the Euler header.

[Image: duSvmpr.jpg]
[Image: UWrQ02u.jpg]
[Image: vWKxilO.jpg]

Thats a nicely done mod.
Got to say I really want those tubes you are using to cover up the cables. The result is perfect Smile
Great job Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Super Mario case [NOW WITH UPDATED STL-FILE (April 27.)] Tarjei85 37 63,258 07-23-2020, 05:31 AM
Last Post: devendraraju
  Made a case for the Pine64 with Audio DAC installed kodachrome 1 3,898 11-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Last Post: xalius
  playbox case ribbon cable too short pinoosh 7 12,115 02-22-2019, 03:24 AM
Last Post: GaryFunk
  Clear case PIne 64 with VESA100 LIPO , RTC holder, and mini fan holes killor 6 11,383 08-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Last Post: killor
  New Pine 64 Screen Case from C4Labs Dustin_C4Labs 11 18,693 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: tllim
  A case with active cooling for 1Gb pine64 ishwest 5 9,895 06-28-2017, 04:05 AM
Last Post: ishwest
  Acrylic case with Lipo Holder and 2 Tactile push button included killor 9 12,830 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: killor
  Pine64 Layer case modmypi 2 5,235 10-04-2016, 02:45 AM
Last Post: modmypi
Photo Weatherproof case build ltorsini 10 29,151 10-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ltorsini
  Playbox case orderable? schindlb 8 13,405 10-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Last Post: schindlb