Windows IoT BSP
So you have to be in one camp or another?

Your conclusions certainly show you are not one of the "free thinkers" you so proudly promote.

I can defend closed source ....closed mind ..not so much.
(05-23-2017, 07:48 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 05:50 AM)dvescovi Wrote: While I am the original poster and I am totally for open source
I disagree with most of your conclusions. open source software is no better or worse than closed software.

...  you cannot be 'totally for open source'  and at the same time not agree with my conclusions.  (mutually exclusive)

Not so fast there Macus! There is no single *right* or *wrong*... but all shades of grey. Closed source has its place, as does open source. And open source can be run well, or run badly. Badly run open source can be worse than not doing it at all. Good closed source can be as good as open source, or better. It really depends on the team and the vision of the management. And whilst you gleefully trot out Microsoft as an example of why closed source doesn't work... you neglect to mention how the number of hardware and software combinations they need to support. Now I know there are all sort of arguments about NDIs and protectionist practises... and that can't be disputed... they are just facts. As is another like that all the closed source stuff like DRM and binary blobs are handicapping the open source movement. But you can understand that companies that have made all their money from these binary blobs aren't going to want to hand over the keys without fully understanding the ramifications... and they may decide the risk is NOT worth the claimed reward. But that is a whole quagmire of an discussion that is OT to this thread.

(05-23-2017, 10:30 AM)dvescovi Wrote: So you have to be in one camp or another?

Nope... to do so would be like flogging a dead horse. This argument has been going on for years, and the answer any sane person will finally arrive at is that each has their place. Just look at nature... evolution hasn't put all it's eggs in one basket for a reason Wink
Let me stop the war Wink

Our team consider A64 on windows 10 iot as a development platform. Open source is on benefit of the eco system indeed.

I am thinking about that if I could open some core driver cabs, bootloader binary and toolchains for you guys instead of source code. Moreover, maybe need provide samples and some docs to introduce basic bus programming interfaces such as GPIO I2C UART and so on.
(05-23-2017, 09:21 PM)Leeway213 Wrote: Let me stop the war Wink

Our team consider A64 on windows 10 iot as a development platform. Open source is on benefit of the eco system indeed.

I am thinking about that if I could open some core driver cabs, bootloader binary and toolchains for you guys instead of source code. Moreover, maybe need provide samples and some docs to introduce basic bus programming interfaces such as GPIO I2C UART and so on.

War? What war? :-P

Since the development pool is so small, the more heads the better. Wink I really don't fancy Windows IoT going anywhere as Microsoft was a bit late to the game, and I'm not sure they've quite grasped what all this stuff is about, but it's something different, so I wish it well! The more diverse  and varied IoT / development options the better! I know that anything that you can open up or make available would be greatly appreciated by someone somewhere! Wink
(05-23-2017, 07:48 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 05:50 AM)dvescovi Wrote: While I am the original poster and I am totally for open source
I disagree with most of your conclusions. open source software is no better or worse than closed software.

...  you cannot be 'totally for open source'  and at the same time not agree with my conclusions.  (mutually exclusive)

(05-23-2017, 05:50 AM)dvescovi Wrote: Why do you think there is so many Linux distributions? Any why is it when you talk to any Linux developer they immediately try to convince you you should be using XYZ distribution? 

Answer: preference, simple.  (has nothing to do with quality)

(05-23-2017, 05:50 AM)dvescovi Wrote: Do we really need 10 different packaging formats (Linux)? Have you ever looked at the Linix driver code  (yuck!) or the endless stream of U-boot modifications?

not relevant.

(05-23-2017, 05:50 AM)dvescovi Wrote: A properly run closed source project can provide better code stability and thus reliability. Something sorely lacking in many open source projects.

I wish that were true.  Microsoft is a perfect example of why not.

(05-23-2017, 05:50 AM)dvescovi Wrote: Yes, more (better) minds make better code.

Yes.  A good example of this is the work being done on the mainline kernel here...  or the video work being done with drm;  these would not be possible if it were not for free and open code base.

Totally missed the points ...sign of a closed mind.
I would love to get my hands on the source with drivers no matter what shape it is in.
I'm the lord of ocean 
(08-28-2018, 12:20 AM)Nilda Wrote: I would love to get my hands on the source with drivers no matter what shape it is in.

I have email to the developer than involved on Win IoT BSP and hopefully will get an answer soon. However, the hope is slim and keep my finger crossed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 IoT Enterprise? roybridge 1 7,167 03-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: tllim
Sad Windows 10 iot ffu lawrencejd 1 5,070 07-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  Will Windows 10 work with the new Rock board? WhiskerBiscuit 2 6,763 09-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Windows 10 and .Net Core running for a day hugob 2 6,890 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hugob
  Windows 10 IoT finally released on Pine A64 platform tllim 25 60,394 08-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: terone63
Star Windows IoT BSP on Github!!!! Add UEFI src code! Leeway213 5 11,749 06-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Leeway213
Tongue Windows iot 10 SD card:) 7emey 0 4,229 11-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Last Post: 7emey
  Windows 10 IoT & Hyperspin thegrandemperor 2 8,231 10-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Last Post: thegrandemperor
Thumbs Up Windows IoT Core support shockr 0 4,251 08-05-2016, 12:17 AM
Last Post: shockr