Question Regarding Wifi Modules to be used for Wifi Use Only
I have received my survey and have a question about the wifi modules.  There are two available:
  1. Wifi + Bluetooth $9
  2. Wifi only $13
I don’t understand which is better for wifi only use (I don’t need Bluetooth).  Are there differences such as power and range?  I see that the wifi only module has the ability to add an external antennae which should give it more range.

Without knowing these difference it would make more sense to buy the lower cost one and get the added functionality of Bluetooth in case you need it in the future.
(02-17-2016, 09:00 AM)Bob123456789 Wrote: I have received my survey and have a question about the wifi modules.  There are two available:
  1. Wifi + Bluetooth $9
  2. Wifi only $13
I don’t understand which is better for wifi only use (I don’t need Bluetooth).  Are there differences such as power and range?  I see that the wifi only module has the ability to add an external antennae which should give it more range.

Without knowing these difference it would make more sense to buy the lower cost one and get the added functionality of Bluetooth in case you need it in the future.

Do you mean the PINE64 WiFi remote module for $12.99? I think that's for connecting sensors and suchlike via wireless, not for going on the internet and stuff. The one you want is the $9.99 one.

More powerful internet WiFi modules will be available later, but not during this Backerkit stage.
Okay.

Thanks.
(02-17-2016, 09:16 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 09:00 AM)Bob123456789 Wrote: I have received my survey and have a question about the wifi modules.  There are two available:
  1. Wifi + Bluetooth $9
  2. Wifi only $13

Do you mean the PINE64 WiFi remote module for $12.99? I think that's for connecting sensors and suchlike via wireless, not for going on the internet and stuff. The one you want is the $9.99 one.

More powerful internet WiFi modules will be available later, but not during this Backerkit stage.

Does that mean if we want to use a WiFi remote (and browse the internet) that we would need to buy both? The 12.99 module for a wifi remote and the 9.99 module for regular internet use? I am trying to figure out all the differences between the two modules and I can't quite seem to figure it out.
(02-18-2016, 09:03 AM)J0SH44 Wrote:
  1. Wifi + Bluetooth $9
  2. Wifi only $13

Does that mean if we want to use a WiFi remote (and browse the internet) that we would need to buy both? The 12.99 module for a wifi remote and the 9.99 module for regular internet use? I am trying to figure out all the differences between the two modules and I can't quite seem to figure it out.

What type of WiFi remote do you mean? If you mean the IR remote, then you don't need the WiFi remote module. If your remote is connected via usb, you don't need the WiFi remote module. If your remote connects via Bluetooth, you don't need the WiFi module. But if your remote connects wirelessly by some other means, (not IR or usb or Bluetooth) then yes, you may need the remote. Specifics regarding what you mean by remote and which particular remote you mean (brand, manufacturer, model) would be helpful.

The WiFi/Bluetooth module is just for connecting to a network and for Bluetooth devices.
(02-18-2016, 09:54 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
  1. Wifi + Bluetooth $9
  2. Wifi only $13

What type of WiFi remote do you mean? If you mean the IR remote, then you don't need the WiFi remote module. If your remote is connected via usb, you don't need the WiFi remote module. If your remote connects via Bluetooth, you don't need the WiFi module. But if your remote connects wirelessly by some other means, (not IR or usb or Bluetooth) then yes, you may need the remote. Specifics regarding what you mean by remote and which particular remote you mean (brand, manufacturer, model) would be helpful.

The WiFi/Bluetooth module is just for connecting to a network and for Bluetooth devices.
No worries, you answered my question in your reply. The remote uses 2.4ghz to connect to a USB dongle, so i should be good then. 

Looks like i will just need the 9.99 module. I think the 12.99 module must be for some more advanced uses that are probably beyond me at this point. Thanks for the information.
(02-18-2016, 10:10 AM)J0SH44 Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 09:54 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
  1. Wifi + Bluetooth $9
  2. Wifi only $13

No worries, you answered my question in your reply. The remote uses 2.4ghz to connect to a USB dongle, so i should be good then. 

Looks like i will just need the 9.99 module. I think the 12.99 module must be for some more advanced uses that are probably beyond me at this point. Thanks for the information.

Ok, great. Yeah, you should be fine - I also have a 2.4ghz usb remote.

I think the 12.99 module may be for connecting other things like sensors, wirelessly. A bit beyond me too!

Glad things got clarified.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Better WiFi/BT module? moriel5 3 4,871 05-18-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: moriel5
  WIFI/BT Power Supply / VBAT-EXT xalius 3 4,600 08-12-2021, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Luke490
  Better WiFi/BT module? fonix232 20 24,283 08-11-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Jean-Marc LACROIX
  Wifi / Bluetooth Board Update S265 2 4,071 07-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Last Post: S265
  Create a WiFi hotspot on Debian 8 JulianM 6 26,836 03-10-2019, 01:02 AM
Last Post: waqasnasir
  Schematics of Wifi/BT module gamelaster 7 9,470 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Last Post: gamelaster
  Installing another WiFi module on one of the buses mido2018 1 3,472 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Unable to activate wifi on Linux smouton 10 15,560 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Last Post: dkebler
  Pine64 doesn't recognize Wifi/BT Module clobeca 3 5,920 07-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Sad wifi direct bj_jung 2 5,271 12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Last Post: happytuna