SSH works, but no video
Is there something I can do to debug why the HDMI monitor gets no signal from my Pine64?  Initially, I tried an old 4:3 monitor and found info that 4:3 monitors aren't supported.  However, even using my newest 1080p monitor, I get nothing.  Are there settings or error logs I can check via SSH that could give me a clue what is going on?  Ideally, is there a way to use the older 4:3 monitor?  

Technical details: 
  • Debian Mate (3.10.102 BSP 2)
  • Pine64- 2GB  from Kickstarter
  • I am using a HDMI - DVI adapter on the monitor-side of the cable.  I've actually tried 2 different ones, neither make video work.   None of my monitors have HDMI inputs.  I can test it on my TV, if anyone thinks it is worth trying.
  • I'm not a Linux guru, but have used it occasionally for the last 20 years.  I won't take any offense if you talk to me like a Linux newb. Tongue
Luckily for me, I'm setting up my Pine64 as an OctoPrint server, and thanks to this great thread, I was easily able to use SSH to get things set up to work as I needed.  However, I'd still love to get the video working if I can.
The problem is with the HDMI-DVI adapter. This will be an issue. If you really have absolutely no way to connect your pine via HDMI then your best bet is to switch over to the DRM kernel. But this is the last resort. Be prepared to sacrifice performance and encounter issues running this kernel...

For instructions on how to do it see longsleep's comment (#135 page 14) in this thread.

edit: you will get video out using HDMI I am sure ...
edit 2: your other option is using an active HDMI-DVI converter instead - but they cost more than the pine so ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

That stinks.  I thought DVI-HDMI was just a pin-switching adapter.

Would it be reasonable to expect a generic 7" Touch panel (1024x600 or 800 x 480) advertised for Raspberry Pi to work with the Pine64?   Example 

(I've been wanting an excuse to get one. Wink )
(12-06-2016, 10:41 AM)SvdSinner Wrote: That stinks.  I thought DVI-HDMI was just a pin-switching adapter.

Would it be reasonable to expect a generic 7" Touch panel (1024x600 or 800 x 480) advertised for Raspberry Pi to work with the Pine64?   Example 

(I've been wanting an excuse to get one. Wink )

No, it wont work. But the official one provided by pine is cheap ($36).... and you can now get it to work with both droid and Linux. And it has a better resolution than the one you posted. I simply don't understand why you wouldn't get the official LCD.

If you want another LCD then keep in mind: 1) have it connect via HDMI; 2) have usb touch; 3) for droid and remix you'll be limited to either 720 or 1080p.

(12-06-2016, 10:53 AM)Luke Wrote: I simply don't understand why you wouldn't get the official LCD.

If you want another LCD then keep in mind: 1) have it connect via HDMI; 2) have usb touch; 3) for droid and remix you'll be limited to either 720 or 1080p.

I spotted that in the store shortly after posting.  Looks like a great deal.  Do you know if it can also be used with Raspberry Pi, etc.?  The one picture didn't really show any form of USB connection.  I need to get one that will work across multiple SBCs.
(12-07-2016, 09:14 PM)SvdSinner Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 10:53 AM)Luke Wrote: I simply don't understand why you wouldn't get the official LCD.

I spotted that in the store shortly after posting.  Looks like a great deal.  Do you know if it can also be used with Raspberry Pi, etc.?  The one picture didn't really show any form of USB connection.  I need to get one that will work across multiple SBCs.

You may want to have this confirmed by someone like Marcus, but I am pretty sure it won't work with the RPI. 
If you need a LCD TP that will work with multiple SBCs (which is a bit of a tall order) then, well, I guess you need find one that connects via HDMI and touch is via USB. That said, this isn't guaranteed to work either ...

So, can you help me understand why a HDMI/USB touch screen would/wouldn't work on any particular Linux running SBC?  (Honest question)  In my (non-guru) assumptions, both HDMI and USB touch are pretty standard interfaces, and should be abstracted away from any particular SBC.  I also assume that HDMI drivers and USB Touch drivers would be common place.  Which assumption am I wrong on?  Is it a voltage issue?  A current supply issue?   Something else?

Also, what does the official touch screen use if not USB?  Does it then take custom built drivers to function?
There are others who are much better to equipped to answer you than I am. That said I see two potential problems: 1) supported resolution and 2) support for the USB touch in the kernel. For instance, if you were to get a 1366x768, 480p or other relatively common resolution LCD TP then you couldn't use it one the pine 64 as it only supports a limited number of resolutions. The same is true for some other boards.

The pine uses an onboard TP port. To learn more about running the LCD on Linux take a look here.

(12-08-2016, 10:08 AM)SvdSinner Wrote: So, can you help me understand why a HDMI/USB touch screen would/wouldn't work on any particular Linux running SBC?  (Honest question)  In my (non-guru) assumptions, both HDMI and USB touch are pretty standard interfaces, and should be abstracted away from any particular SBC.  I also assume that HDMI drivers and USB Touch drivers would be common place.  Which assumption am I wrong on?  Is it a voltage issue?  A current supply issue?   Something else?

Also, what does the official touch screen use if not USB?  Does it then take custom built drivers to function?

hi,  Luke asked, so I got involved,  hdmi and usb touch are pretty standard interfaces; however, the PineA64 board is not a standard board, and its hdmi and tp (nor usb) are NOT standard interfaces !

Our hdmi only supports really two modes 1080p60 and 720p60.  You can make other screens work, with the hdmi-->vga adapter provided by the Pine store.  Usually when the Pine board does not have hdmi video its because the display monitor requires a mode line not supported by the Pine hdmi gpu.  (and for linux there is NO hardware acceleration atm).

Touch is another non standard beast all-together.  The PineA64 board has a six wire (6 pin FFC connector) on-board that is proprietary and matches the specific LCD 7" display provided by the Pine store. The availability of usb touch input devices only works if you can compile the usb touch driver required ( and perhaps compile the kernel as well ).  Also, dts|dtb changes may also be necessary. Folks have made this work, but its rare;  off-the-top-of-my-head  I can' think of any right now.

Bottom line, hdmi and usb touch are not a standard easy to install kind-of-thing for the Pine board. Theoretically its possible ; but, in practice its relatively difficult.  If you get a setup to work, please report the details back here or on the irc and we'll write-up a pinned sticky for everyone else to follow. 

Note:  also, other DSI displays have been made to work with the pine board (without touch) by making the appropriate changes to the dts|dtb;  although, this is certainly not standard either-- there are sites on-line that explain how to get started -- google dsi display pine

( I hope this helps, but is not intended to be definitive nor complete, but is relatively true )
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora) pineitup 1 2,828 02-02-2021, 12:13 AM
Last Post: PineSupporter
  Video conferencing aproject oxoocoffee 1 2,989 03-31-2020, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  red led + cat5 lights but noshow on DHCP list, no video mckenna.tim 1 3,758 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Luke
  LCD works only when Wifi Module not installed nesalot 2 4,454 09-03-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: nesalot
  My personal discovery of no video upon first booting my Pine A64 AZ_Ron 3 5,365 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Last Post: efalsken
  HDMI Video Resolution patmolloy 11 21,191 07-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: jwouellette
  Video Tutorial To Create Bootable SD-Card pineadmin 12 27,228 07-17-2016, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Ghost
Sad just trying to play a youtube video galbez 6 8,477 07-11-2016, 02:21 AM
Last Post: koda
  DOA Board? "UNSUPPORTED VIDEO" phloog 21 29,873 07-02-2016, 02:37 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Ubuntu Video Performance mliebski 1 3,105 07-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777