Sorry, but you can only perform one search every 30 seconds.
WTF?

I'm loosing confidence in the "goodwill" of this forum's underlying (or is that just lying?) configuration.

I put in a search for working web browsers, and got back shipping information. WTF? Not a peep on what I asked for. And then, trying other searches that do not work either, this forum tells me I cannot submit queries less than 30 seconds apart.

I've NEVER found that policy anywhere else, and I pre-date the world wide web as we know it.

WTF?

David

Oh, and neither firefox nor chromium work for me. Midori is un-acceptable due to it forcing me into duckduckgo for default searches. Chrome is not available, so far as I've found. So, other than Midori, what browsers have anyone else found to work on 3.10.102-3-pine64-longsleep/MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1?
David, the lip smacking pirate hedgehog.  "SHIVER me timbers!"  
The 'only one search every 30 seconds' thing is to give you time to properly consider what it is you want to search for. We'll have none of that 'search whenever you want for whatever you want' attitude here, thank you.

No, more seriously, I've not seen that on any other forum before. Perhaps someone who has used other myBB forums can either confirm or deny if this is the state of play for all, or just here. I would presume the former.
The search restriction timer is a fairly common configurable for mybb so that bots cannot take over the forum and hammer it to death; so, yes you do need to construct your search arguments carefully and thoughtfully.  I found the restriction to be a PITA in the beginning too, but having used the forum for several months now I find that the restriction is not the nuisance it was for me in the beginning.

The mybb search engine is not google !  I don't know how else to say that.  Its basically 1990s search technology and its not very good, frankly.  I find this single point to be the weak link on our forum. You will find generating search arguments on our forum to be a PITA unless you know what you're doing. The mybb search engine simply does not have the intelligence that we have come to expect from google, consequently the 'person' has to be able to intelligently generate the correct search argument to find anything on our forum... and unfortunately, this process takes some skill and some patience.

As for browsers, I use midori;  I have found that it is the most usable and most consistent browser available for gnu+linux on our platform. YMMV. (this is true for the Raspberry PI also)
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
there is a build of chromium that works on pine64 debian. i hate to say it, but, just search for it. it works ok, the sign in to chromium feature does not work so you will be unable to use sync feature.
(10-15-2016, 11:56 PM)dkryder Wrote: there is a build of chromium that works on pine64 debian. i hate to say it, but, just search for it. it works ok, the sign in to chromium feature does not work so you will be unable to use sync feature.

Thanks for that... I don't use it, but others have had some good results with it...   Wink
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Next time I'm in ubuntu, I'll look for that chromium then.  Did not find it before.  

Basically, I apt-"got" firefox and chromium, and they both crashed on arrival.  So I apt-"got ride of" them.

Midori would be fine, except that I have not found a way to change the default search engine from ddg, to google.  I've used all sorts of search engines, starting with altavista, used yahoo when they came to be, started using google after they came to be, and have been with google ever since.  Why not?  They are the best at it.  Even scholar.google.com gets me to case law and research articles, when I'm working on that stuff.  It's not westlaw, lexus or nexus, but nearly as good (well, except for westlaw).  Oh, yeah, I've used those too.

Come to think of it, aol (used to bicycle by their head quarters in Vienna VA too), compuserve, and we ran a bbs out of south Georgia back in the early eighties.  Wow...  guess rll drives are not such a big deal any more either.  Huh.

Oh wait, midori with ddg IS better than the 110 baud teletype I used to use in high school.  Yeah, it's better than that, but the teletype still sounded better.

If some one there has a way to change the default search engine in midori from ddg (duckduckgo), then I'd love to hear about it.  I followed the directions from the web, but they did not match the midori on my pine64.

As for forming well formed searches, yeah, I do, and then when to results are nonsensical, I'm already ready with another one.

I love having high-class problems!  

David
David, the lip smacking pirate hedgehog.  "SHIVER me timbers!"  
(10-16-2016, 06:19 PM)tampadave Wrote: If some one there has a way to change the default search engine in midori from ddg (duckduckgo), then I'd love to hear about it.  I followed the directions from the web, but they did not match the midori on my pine64.

hi Dave, duckduckgo (although silly) is 'almost' as good as google from a technological standpoint; in fact down under the covers I'm sure they use it...  

... but the advantage of using duckduckgo (and why I use it almost exclusively these days) is that they don't track their users; this is extremely important for freedom and democracy.

I would recommend using duckduckgo exclusively; although, there may be a bit of a learning curve when it comes to generating intelligent search arguments in every case.  Best of luck.
marcushh777    Cool

dave, click on the icon in the search box, chose manage search engines, then click google and move it up to top slot. google still rules search, beats duck hands down.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minimum search term length? ronhd 1 3,174 12-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Last Post: tllim