TP Cable Extension
(09-10-2016, 11:23 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 10:54 AM)Bluphire Wrote: what pitch is needed for this application? I'm overwhelmed looking for the adapter, any help?

There is nothing overwhelming about engineering;  just break the problem down into byte sized pieces, plan, do the math, execute.

The responsibility for the specs and planning is yours.  When I measure the connector it is 3.5mm wide and the pitch is 0.5 mm  (this is fairly standard)   (I'm actually measureing my tp connector)

In other words, if you were to lay a clear mm scale on the cable looking down at the connectors the mm markings on the scale would line up with every other connector pattern. The connector's 'pitch' is 0.5 mm from center to center. 

Hope this helps you.

The second and third part were very helpful, especially since I do not have mine at the moment to measure for myself. The first part was not very helpful to me at all.

I see a lot of very knowledgeable people on these forums, yourself included MHH777. In fact, there are more threads/topics/comments on this forum that I know absolutely nothing about, than threads/topics/comments I even somewhat understand. That's my bad. But this particular response (the first part of your comment), happens to fall into the the category that I know absolutely nothing about. A noob, if you will.

Is the "byte sized" part literal? Or was it a computer programmer's joke?

I'm thinking I need these cables, and these pitch ribbon connector sockets.

But I do not know how to properly connect the 2 connectors. Can you lend some knowledge on that, preferably on a noob'd-down level?

Matt
+1 me if I have helped you in any way. Thank you.
(09-10-2016, 11:59 AM)Bluphire Wrote: Is the "byte sized" part literal? Or was it a computer programmer's joke?

I'm thinking I need these cables, and these pitch ribbon connector sockets.

But I do not know how to properly connect the 2 connectors. Can you lend some knowledge on that, preferably on a noob'd-down level?

byte-sized is humor, yes.

Ok , the cables will be fine, and the connectors will be fine too...  here is the trouble... the connectors will need to be placed on a board (an adapter board) soldered in place (there will need to be two of them, one for each cable) that will serve as a connector.  Otherwise, you'lll have to find one already made someplace., and there is probably one out there is you look hard enough.

To get an idea of wht I'm talking about take a look at your LCD connector adapter extender that came with your LCD display.  You will need to buy (or make) one like that for your tp ribbon as well,  only if you want to extend it... which frankly is not necessary.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
That's what I was thinking I needed (only 6 pin).

Would it be possible to use a 30 pin adapter like the one that came with the LCD? As long as they are on the same pins of course.
(09-10-2016, 12:55 PM)Bluphire Wrote: That's what I was thinking I needed (only 6 pin).

Would it be possible to use a 30 pin adapter like the one that came with the LCD? As long as they are on the same pins of course.

theoretically , yes.

... as long as you have them consistently on the same pins, and as long as they're lined up !
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
I am comfortable soldering pins to a board to make the adapter, I just wouldn't know what to look for as far as boards go.
(09-10-2016, 12:58 PM)Bluphire Wrote: I am comfortable soldering pins to a board to make the adapter, I just wouldn't know what to look for as far as boards go.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to make it.

... the best bet is to search the net till you find one already made.  Extending FFC cables is something people are wanting to do all the time, there is bound to be and adpater already made.... try searching for 

FFC cable extender adapter   <---

on google
limit the search with 6 connector, 6 conductor, etc
marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  playbox case ribbon cable too short pinoosh 7 12,117 02-22-2019, 03:24 AM
Last Post: GaryFunk
  ABS Playbox came with no extension cable? kenhawkins 4 6,135 09-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Last Post: echild