Touch screen support
Hi

Is there any update on touch screen support for Linux? Any eta on when the touch/lcd screen will be functional with Linux?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
(08-28-2016, 09:31 PM)shariq_2001 Wrote: Hi

Is there any update on touch screen support for Linux? Any eta on when the touch/lcd screen will be functional with Linux?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

At this point in time the touch screen LCD is not supported in the gnu+linux images we provide for the PineA64.  The devs all have their own LCD displays; this is good news, because now everyone interested in working on this has their own hardware for testing. At this point in time not much progress has been made, and I anticipate that it will be quite some time ( for legal, technical, and political reasons ) before this is ready for beta testing.  If you need ( or want ) to use the LCD touch screen, you must use the Android image at this time.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-28-2016, 09:57 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 09:31 PM)shariq_2001 Wrote: Hi

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

At this point in time the touch screen LCD is not supported in the gnu+linux images we provide for the PineA64.  The devs all have their own LCD displays; this is good news, because now everyone interested in working on this has their own hardware for testing. At this point in time not much progress has been made, and I anticipate that it will be quite some time ( for legal, technical, and political reasons ) before this is ready for beta testing.  If you need ( or want ) to use the LCD touch screen, you must use the Android image at this time.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Do you or anyone else know of a good touch screen that may be compatible with pine64 at this time for Linux environment. Any suggestions? 

Basically I have a project where I'd really like to use the pine64. But the must have feature is the touch screen. The product is perfect specs wise but any feedback or recommendation as to other touch solutions I could work with temporarily to demo the solution would be appreciated.

Thanks.
(08-29-2016, 10:50 AM)shariq_2001 Wrote: Basically I have a project where I'd really like to use the pine64. But the must have feature is the touch screen. The product is perfect specs wise but any feedback or recommendation as to other touch solutions I could work with temporarily to demo the solution would be appreciated.

hi, at the moment there are no compatible LCD touch screens for the PineA64 other than the one offered via the Pine store. There is no LCD touch screen support in any of the gnu+linux images offered at pine64.pro. There are no LCD touch screen options that will work with your project, nor any other project. 

If you want to use an LCD touch screen with the PineA64 you must use the LCD Android image specifically designed to work with the Pine LCD and the Pine board.  There are no other options at this point in time.  <sorry>
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Hmm. I don't care about touch support, just would like to use the actual screen. Is there no support for that either?
(08-30-2016, 04:28 PM)sci2 Wrote: Hmm.  I don't care about touch support, just would like to use the actual screen.  Is there no support for that either?

... that is a horse of another colour completely !  You might find a 'smallish' LCD monitor that will plug into the hdmi port ( assuming for the moment that it supports one of our 15 hdmi modes ) it might work for you as a small display / I have no idea what products on the market might fit into that category.
marcushh777    Cool

https://www.amazon.com/Tontec%C2%AE-Rasp...WHHCSMWP7K

I originally picked this one up for the pi, have verified it works with the Pine. Probably not the best option in a space limited situation, but as a basic lcd screen, its not too bad.
(08-30-2016, 04:48 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-30-2016, 04:28 PM)sci2 Wrote: Hmm.  I don't care about touch support, just would like to use the actual screen.  Is there no support for that either?

... that is a horse of another colour completely !  You might find a 'smallish' LCD monitor that will plug into the hdmi port ( assuming for the moment that it supports one of our 15 hdmi modes ) it might work for you as a small display / I have no idea what products on the market might fit into that category.

ubuntu@localhost:~$ cat config | grep TOUCH
# CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN is not set
# CONFIG_HID_KEYTOUCH is not set
# CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ONETOUCH=y
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_CLEARPAD_TM1217 is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_I2C_RMI4 is not set
ubuntu@localhost:~$

but could you please enable the CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH ?
I have a 7 inch touchscreen with usb, but I cannot find the same version kernel-header for the Ubuntu mate, so I cannot built the hid-multitouch.ko
hi, you might consider visiting Simon Eisenmann's site (longsleep) on github.

... no promises, but you have two options; either make a pull request, or report an issue. I think he would prefer a pull request. He has been known to enable kernel features and include drivers if enough people want it.
marcushh777    Cool

(08-30-2016, 07:38 PM)DonFL Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Tontec%C2%AE-Rasp...WHHCSMWP7K

I originally picked this one up for the pi, have verified it works with the Pine. Probably not the best option in a space limited situation, but as a basic lcd screen, its not too bad.

Hi DonFL

Was touch available on that screen? Graphics and usability good with the pine for that LCD?

How hard was it to get going in terms of drivers and setup?

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 inch LCD touch panel is upside down? joshpl 2 1,602 12-07-2023, 06:18 AM
Last Post: stormwyrm
Information LCD Support on Linux pfeerick 8 19,014 02-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: HBeserra
  What other devices can the LCD screen work on? kodachrome 1 3,050 12-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Last Post: kodachrome
  [EXPERIMENTAL] Linux on the LCD screen Terra854 24 34,714 07-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Last Post: apple4ever
  I2C Touch Panel mbt28 0 2,087 06-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mbt28
  Linux Support UnixOutlaw 69 89,394 03-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Last Post: apple4ever
  LCD screen brightness/contrast Learnincurve 10 13,619 02-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: psychedup
  LCD touch panel emits low power Naccies 4 6,155 01-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Last Post: tllim
  LCD Touch Screen Problem. Gavin 8 9,473 11-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Last Post: michaelquezon
  Received a bad LCD, can't get support. bryanlyon 3 4,852 09-27-2016, 03:55 AM