21 days and still no answer on RMA
I sent an email requesting an RMA number for a bad board on 8/8.  I got a reply from Van requesting my email id and then ...... nothing.  

The details are that I have two boards, one works with the LCD screen and one doesn't.  I've tried re-seating connectors, and used the same SD card.

Why is response so slow....... ? 

How can I get a board that works?
(08-28-2016, 05:31 PM)blackt1ger Wrote: I sent an email requesting an RMA number for a bad board on 8/8.  I got a reply from Van requesting my email id and then ...... nothing.  

The details are that I have two boards, one works with the LCD screen and one doesn't.  I've tried re-seating connectors, and used the same SD card.

hi, you are actually discussing two separate issues here; my recommendation is to think of them , and act on them , separately.

1) negotiate the RMA and get the bad board returned.

2) purchase a new board and start having fun.

Continue to patiently work with the Pine Inc team on the RMA, and realize that they are coming off of a shipping fiasco which has taken a toll both physically and mentally, and that during this difficult time the communications have also been impaired; add to that the fact that tllim travels a lot also adds to the comm delays. 

As far as how you can get a new board, that is easy; order one from the Pine store ! 

---------

There is a third option, and that is to figure out why the one board does not work with the LCD.  I had a similar problem.  (believe it or not)  The culprit was a solder ball (tiny microscopic could not be seen without a scope) wedged in the DSI connector. ( I had one wedged in the CSI connector too).  Sometimes in the manufacturing process solder 'splashes' and is not caught in the QL. If you have a solder ball caught in the connector(s) the LCD will not work. Fortunately those are mostly input lines and the short(s) are benign often.  Just use a hand scope (if you can) and inspect the connectors for solder balls; you may not need to do anything other than that for issues 1) and 2) above.

Please let me know what you find.  (hoping this helps)
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-28-2016, 05:48 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 05:31 PM)blackt1ger Wrote: I sent an email requesting an RMA number for a bad board on 8/8.  I got a reply from Van requesting my email id and then ...... nothing.  

hi, you are actually discussing two separate issues here; my recommendation is to think of them , and act on them , separately.

1) negotiate the RMA and get the bad board returned.

2) purchase a new board and start having fun.

Continue to patiently work with the Pine Inc team on the RMA, and realize that they are coming off of a shipping fiasco which has taken a toll both physically and mentally, and that during this difficult time the communications have also been impaired; add to that the fact that tllim travels a lot also adds to the comm delays. 

As far as how you can get a new board, that is easy; order one from the Pine store ! 

---------

There is a third option, and that is to figure out why the one board does not work with the LCD.  I had a similar problem.  (believe it or not)  The culprit was a solder ball (tiny microscopic could not be seen without a scope) wedged in the DSI connector. ( I had one wedged in the CSI connector too).  Sometimes in the manufacturing process solder 'splashes' and is not caught in the QL. If you have a solder ball caught in the connector(s) the LCD will not work. Fortunately those are mostly input lines and the short(s) are benign often.  Just use a hand scope (if you can) and inspect the connectors for solder balls; you may not need to do anything other than that for issues 1) and 2) above.

Any suggestions for a low cost usb microscope?
(08-28-2016, 06:52 PM)Carini Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 05:48 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Any suggestions for a low cost usb microscope?

I was thinking actually of something less sophisticated.  Just a simple hand held (small) micro-scope... its a 8x telescope looking through one end, and a 30x microscope looking through the other end... nothing fancy.

This is the one I have, its inexpensive, and it works.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
That's doableSmile
Yeah, "shipping fiasco ????" No..... Yeah, been there. I waited and waited and waited. Still don't have everything, STILL. Yet I'm going to throw in more money? I don't think so.

I personally believe everybody that spent over $200 on pine64 stuff in kickstarter and got treated like I did (and I'm sure there is a bunch) should just get a free board.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First impressions after 32 days jacobnavia 5 6,850 01-10-2017, 06:14 AM
Last Post: xalius