Mounting the IR Receiver on the PineA64 for use with OpenHour Remote

Prior to mounting the VS1838 or HX1838 IR receiver on the PineA64 SBC, it is helpful to mod the receiver; this does require some minimal (but easy) soldering skills.  What is at issue is that the leads on the IR receiver are too thin to make good contact with the female header socket on the PineA64 board (found between the system LED solder pads and the audio jack just to the right of the audio jack looking at the usb port side of the board).

The pic above shows the mod;  the un-modded receiver is in the plastic bag.  I have cut the leads on the receiver and soldered it to three male header pins (these are designed to fit the socket on the PineA64 SoC board. The technique is straight-forward;  tin the leads on both the receiver and the header pins... tack solder the receiver to one header pin (leave them on the row of pins for easier handling).  Then, solder the other two leads, returning to the tack point and re-solder the first lead. Then to finish up, cut the modded IR receiver from the row of header pins.

I have placed the modded IR receiver in the PineA64 board socket in the pic above. My board has the system programmable LED soldered in place... the IR receiver plugs into the female socket with the bubble and cross facing outward : pinouts ( OUT,  GND,  VCC).  The IR mod makes for a good electrical fit with the socket.

The pic above is the OpenHour learning remote, which works with the IR receiver provided  (VS1838, HX1838). To test the remote you can watch evtest while sending control codes to the IR receiver from the OpenHour remote. Also, if you open a terminal you can see the remote signals as characters typed on the screen. The digits will be one less than displayed... the down arrow is the backspace, and several of the function buttons are alpha characters.  To use the remote with gnu+linux apps it is only necessary to map the codes to functions the way you  might map any media key on a standard keyboard.

edit:  I will be posting the data sheet as soon as I confirm the type and model of the IR receiver as shipped.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Update:  the VS1838, HX1838 and CH1838 are all pretty much the same;  the significant part is the number '1838'.

... the unit being shipped from the Pine Store is the CH1838D.  I am uploading the data sheet for the HX-1838 in hopes that it will be helpful.  The pinouts of all three parts are the same, as are the internal workings and basic operating characteristics. Operating environment and price, of course, may be different. 

.pdf   IR-Receiver-AX-1838HS.pdf (Size: 379.67 KB / Downloads: 788)
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Fun with the remote really begins with Android.

... the entire graphical interface on Android is controllable with the IR remote; you can take it into mouse mode with the 'mouse' button and then you move the cursor keys on the remote to move the mouse (press the mouse button again to take it out of mouse mode).

Use the cursor keys (non mouse mode) to move around your apps icons. Use the menu button to pull up wall-papers and widgets, and use the media buttons to control display, volume and the like.

If you HOLD the power button it will take you to the shutdown reboot dialogue, which of course is obvious; however, if you shutdown the Android system, you cannot power it ON again with the remote; you must use the power ON button on the PineA64 board.
marcushh777    Cool

I had a hard time finding the ir-recievers mentioned above, but with the given specs, this model works like a charm. It fits straight into the board without modification. 

Tsop38138

Greetings, Rudy.
(10-08-2016, 08:05 AM)Jaybeam Wrote: I had a hard time finding the ir-recievers mentioned above, but with the given specs, this model works like a charm. It fits straight into the board without modification. 

Tsop38138

Greetings, Rudy.

I use similar ones without any issue too Rudy! Big Grin I just flexed the middle pin forward, and the outer ones back a bit, and it gave the pins the necessary tension to make positive contact, and stay in the socket. I think the one I used was from Sparkfun (Vishay TSOP38238) - either that or it was the random generic one that comes with the cheap IR remote kits. :-O
Hi,

I have just soldered the IRDA reciver, but none of my house IR remote controls seems to interact with the Android7.0 ROM. I tried PeelSmartRemote to send irda signals from my s5 to the RaspberryPI, any of the protocols seems to be understood by the Pine64.

Is there any way to debug the recivied IR pulses? Is there any good software for Android that allows to send irda so i dont have to buy yet another remote ?
(01-15-2017, 09:06 AM)Israeldelamo Wrote: Hi,

I have just soldered the IRDA reciver, but none of my house IR remote controls seems to interact with the Android7.0 ROM. I tried PeelSmartRemote to send irda signals from my s5 to the RaspberryPI, any of the protocols seems to be understood by the Pine64.

Is there any way to debug the recivied IR pulses? Is there any good software for Android that allows to send irda so i dont have to buy yet another remote ?

Here is the IR remote map at PINE64 wiki page: http://files.pine64.org/doc/Pine%20A64%2...t-logo.jpg
(01-16-2017, 02:53 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 09:06 AM)Israeldelamo Wrote: Hi,

Here is the IR remote map at PINE64 wiki page: http://files.pine64.org/doc/Pine%20A64%2...t-logo.jpg

Thanks I will give it a try

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad IR Receiver installation JoeDirt 1 3,465 04-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Ankryth