PineA64 Home-Brew card-board Play Box for Android & LCD Enclosure
Rainbow 
My PineA64 LCD and Android are officially mobile this morning, with this card-board home-brew mobile power enclosure  Blush

The simple solution while waiting for the official "Play Box" is to mount our fabulous and famous tablet guts in the ready-made enclosure the LCD was shipped in !

The packing foam cradle and support feet were glued to the top of the box with SIG-Bond craft glue. The PineA64 board hangs from the top of the box from steel supports and screws, while the battery rests on the bottom of the box. Power and reset switches have easy access through a trap-door cut in the bottom of the box, with a scapulae blade. At the moment the LCD just rests gently in the foam cradle (which was made of the LCD packing materials).  The tablet is 22.86cm x 14.29cm x 4.45cm , and weighs 492g (including the battery).

The PineA64 board hangs from the lid of the card-board boxed enclosure from four steel posts and mounting screws. You can see the FFC connectors in this pic (above) as well the famous glow of our little red power LED. Great care and finesse must be used when installing the cables into the FFC connectors. Gently (and I mean VERY gently) lift up on the black bar, and insert the cable with the connector pads facing towards the board. Notice that the primary 30 pin connector has an extension which is supplied with the LCD (both the extension cable and the extender clips board, are very delicate and easily broken).  Use caution.

Fabulous... now I can have my PineA64 board with me on-the-go, fits great in my man bag... and you know what, it looks great too, right Emily ?

(Emily: right !)     Big Grin

marcushh777

@Emily is a trademark of LordCanti; although, no relevance to any person living or dead may be presumed.   Dodgy
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

Well, here's the first selfie from the card-board play box...

... ha ! not too bad from a 5mp camera mounted in a card-board box.  I discovered that the orientation of the camera (looking into the lens) is the 'top' upwards ^ will have the cable coming off to the right. So, the camera is mounted in the box with the camera twisted clockwise so that the cable comes off the camera to the right and then down to the pine board.

This is a selfie (above) of the camera with the grip man in the background...    Wink   ... this pic had to be rotated of course. another surprise was that the camera gets VERY hot.  I have a small heatsink on the back-side of the camera (about the size of the PMIC) that keeps it warmish...

Another surprise for me was that the camera does NOT fit into the bezel of the LCD ( consequently I have it mounted through a hole in my super sophisticated card-board enclosure !  Whomever is responsible for developing the ABS enclosure official Play Box ought to check this out and make sure that the camera will fit, and that the orientation is correct.

marcushh777
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-30-2016, 01:03 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Well, here's the first selfie from the card-board play box...

... ha ! not too bad from a 5mp camera mounted in a card-board box.  I discovered that the orientation of the camera (looking into the lens) is the 'top' upwards ^ will have the cable coming off to the right. So, the camera is mounted in the box with the camera twisted clockwise so that the cable comes off the camera to the right and then down to the pine board.

This is a selfie (above) of the camera with the grip man in the background...    Wink   ... this pic had to be rotated of course. another surprise was that the camera gets VERY hot.  I have a small heatsink on the back-side of the camera (about the size of the PMIC) that keeps it warmish...

Another surprise for me was that the camera does NOT fit into the bezel of the LCD ( consequently I have it mounted through a hole in my super sophisticated card-board enclosure !  Whomever is responsible for developing the ABS enclosure official Play Box ought to check this out and make sure that the camera will fit, and that the orientation is correct.

marcushh777

The camera compartment on the LCD bezel originally design for low density camera module, and 5MPixel camera module is larger.
TL Lim,  thank you for the clarification.  wow, and I thought the 5mp camera was tiny !   Wink

Well, the finishing touches are on the home-brew card-board and duct-tape Play Box;  with 5mp camera mounted permanently and the entire enclosure sealed in black duct tape !  This has got to be a one time prototype /

My CB&DT Play Box is now not only portable, but also safe. I left a small slot around the camera port for ventilation, as well I can visually verify power-on because the red power LED is visible through the ventilation slot. 

The duct tape gives the unit a soft tactile feel which means I'm going to be less likely to drop it ! 

marcushh777
marcushh777    Cool

That is very creative, and what is your total cost?
(07-31-2016, 07:24 AM)clarkss12 Wrote: That is very creative, and what is your total cost?

Well, outside of the parts for the guts (that's a given) a partial role of duct tape, and a small amount of craft glue was the total cost. 

I'm not going to change it either;  that's the way its going to stay... I really like it, its been fun so far and I'm not about to unfasten those damned FFC connectors even one more time !

Smile

marcushh777    Cool

(07-29-2016, 01:03 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: My PineA64 LCD and Android are officially mobile this morning, with this card-board home-brew mobile power enclosure  Blush

The simple solution while waiting for the official "Play Box" is to mount our fabulous and famous tablet guts in the ready-made enclosure the LCD was shipped in !

The packing foam cradle and support feet were glued to the top of the box with SIG-Bond craft glue. The PineA64 board hangs from the top of the box from steel supports and screws, while the battery rests on the bottom of the box. Power and reset switches have easy access through a trap-door cut in the bottom of the box, with a scapulae blade. At the moment the LCD just rests gently in the foam cradle (which was made of the LCD packing materials).  The tablet is 22.86cm x 14.29cm x 4.45cm , and weighs 492g (including the battery).

The PineA64 board hangs from the lid of the card-board boxed enclosure from four steel posts and mounting screws. You can see the FFC connectors in this pic (above) as well the famous glow of our little red power LED. Great care and finesse must be used when installing the cables into the FFC connectors. Gently (and I mean VERY gently) lift up on the black bar, and insert the cable with the connector pads facing towards the board. Notice that the primary 30 pin connector has an extension which is supplied with the LCD (both the extension cable and the extender clips board, are very delicate and easily broken).  Use caution.

Fabulous... now I can have my PineA64 board with me on-the-go, fits great in my man bag... and you know what, it looks great too, right Emily ?

(Emily: right !)     Big Grin

marcushh777

@Emily is a trademark of LordCanti; although, no relevance to any person living or dead may be presumed.   Dodgy
Waiting for my screen to come in (didnt want to order to delay my pine64 shipping). Also just got a 3D printer just so I can print a case for my Pine64.
Too bad that is the only way to get a Playbox case since they are refusing to send them.
(11-01-2016, 04:28 PM)Toriless Wrote: Too bad that is the only way to get a Playbox case since they are refusing to send them.

Why we refuse to send the Playbox case?

... TL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 7" LCD wooden framen enclosure for Pine64 *UPDATED WITH killor 12 19,506 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack MarkHaysHarris777 14 33,596 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
Rainbow (Cluster) Modified Playbox Enclosure Progress predominant 3 5,339 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Nostalgic enclosure VHS carlo318 4 7,387 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Last Post: carlo318
  How is the battery Supposed to be mounted in the PlayBox enclosure? dbarbee 2 5,597 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Enclosure for flush-mounting the 7" touchscreen Learnincurve 9 12,761 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,606 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Tablet Enclosure Vachtra 11 19,605 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Toriless
  White box plastic enclosure clawinus 3 6,497 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Bluphire
Rainbow DMG/Classic Gameboy Enclosure!? n_n' Gearsoul 54 63,917 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ghost