Kodi on pine 2gb/ubuntu os very very slow?
I have the Pine 2 gb version, with ubuntu mate OS via micro SD. I had purchased this mainly to make it a TV box, and I installed Kodi on this, but I find the performance ridiculously slow, like sub 1 FPS, not real time at all. Is this expected? I discovered that VLC doesnt play some of my videos (all that I tried), is this expected?

Would both these problems go away with some sort of codecs and or hardware support for graphics? Or is this not possible?

Also, when i power on my Pine, I get a red indicator light for power. Is this normal? I saw a few images with a green light. Is this an indicator of low power supply? Could this be causing my performance problems above?
hi, ktaragorn, to answer in reverse order...

... the red light is normal. It is simply a power indicator. The very early development models had green lights. Some digital photographs of the red-light boards 'look' green do to brightness overexposure... the power-on indicator is a red light on solid indicating proper voltage.

The issue you are having with your kodi performance is a known video issue due to the lack of a proper video driver that will handle hardware acceleration. The folks volunteering to fix this issue are working their tails off to get it working properly, but its not quite ready.

The PineA64 won't be the full media center kiosk appliance you were hoping for until the video issues are resolved with the mali blobs from Allwinner.

marcushh777

PS... this is ongoing, and things are changing fast... even my posts may be out-of-date the moment they're written.
(07-19-2016, 01:54 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, ktaragorn, to answer in reverse order...

... the red light is normal. It is simply a power indicator. The very early development models had green lights. Some digital photographs of the red-light boards 'look' green do to brightness overexposure...  the power-on indicator is a red light on solid indicating proper voltage.

The issue you are having with your kodi performance is a known video issue due to the lack of a proper video driver that will handle hardware acceleration.  The folks volunteering to fix this issue are working their tails off to get it working properly, but its not quite ready.

The PineA64 won't be the full media center kiosk appliance you were hoping for until the video issues are resolved with the mali blobs from Allwinner.

marcushh777

PS... this is ongoing, and things are changing fast... even my posts may be out-of-date the moment they're written.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease regarding these problems, so I can ignore the red light.

Regarding the video driver issues, I presume this is across operating systems? So pine cannot be used as a HTPC at all until this is resolved? How would this fix be delivered? apt-get install or a new image i need to burn onto the sdcard?

(07-19-2016, 02:17 AM)ktaragorn Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 01:54 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, ktaragorn, to answer in reverse order...

... the red light is normal. It is simply a power indicator. The very early development models had green lights. Some digital photographs of the red-light boards 'look' green do to brightness overexposure...  the power-on indicator is a red light on solid indicating proper voltage.

The issue you are having with your kodi performance is a known video issue due to the lack of a proper video driver that will handle hardware acceleration.  The folks volunteering to fix this issue are working their tails off to get it working properly, but its not quite ready.

marcushh777

Thanks for setting my mind at ease regarding these problems, so I can ignore the red light.

Regarding the video driver issues, I presume this is across operating systems? So pine cannot be used as a HTPC at all until this is resolved? How would this fix be delivered? apt-get install or a new image i need to burn onto the sdcard?
I just saw this post, http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1545. Does this mean that the android OSs have the video driver in question? Then perhaps I should try remix OS.
Saying it can't be used at all is extreme, but it won't work the way you're expecting until the mali is working with the kernel; lennyraposo is working hard to make that happen as we speak.

When he gets that finished he will put up the new images and make them available for folks to download.

marcushh777
(07-19-2016, 02:24 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Saying it can't be used at all is extreme, but it won't work the way you're expecting until the mali is working with the kernel; lennyraposo is working hard to make that happen as we speak.

When he gets that finished he will put up the new images and make them available for folks to download.

marcushh777

If you feel that is a bit extreme, perhaps your experience is different from mine. For me once i load Kodi, my performance stalls so badly that just moving the mouse takes maybe 5-10 seconds to respond. Is this expected? Or worse than that? Please note that at this point all i have is the kodi desktop and menu, no video, no library, no addons.
If all you use the PineA64 for is kodi, then you'll be disappointed.

... I am using my PineA64 as my full desktop PC, for about seven weeks now... going on eight; runs very well, has great latency (interactive response is fantastic) and I'm compiling, programming, word processing, hexchatting, web browsing, and a lot more...

I don't use kodi at all...

I don't expect this $29 board to be a $300 dollar media center.

marcushh777
(07-19-2016, 03:22 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: If all you use the PineA64 for is kodi, then you'll be disappointed.

... I am using my PineA64 as my full desktop PC, for about seven weeks now... going on eight; runs very well, has great latency (interactive response is fantastic) and I'm compiling, programming, word processing, hexchatting, web browsing, and a lot more...

I don't use kodi at all...

I don't expect this $29 board to be a $300 dollar media center.

marcushh777

Nicely Put Marcus. Though I bought a unit hoping the media center will be of some use.

Only time will tell.

Vinod
working on 3d acceleration at the moment hopefully I can crack this egg this week Wink

will post more in irc and on my site Wink
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine A64+ mainline mipi-dsi Learnincurve 3 6,427 01-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  DietPi OS for PINE A64 MichaIng 0 9,036 12-15-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: MichaIng
  Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pine A64+ Images wideawake 2 5,350 10-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: mathiraj
  LibreELEC(KODI) for Pine A64 (+) pineadmin 6 15,392 05-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: aaronmarsh632
  Lakka-nightlies for Pine A64 (and H64) roel 11 18,826 04-23-2020, 12:55 AM
Last Post: roel
  Read DHT22 on Pine A64 ayufan 3 6,435 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: {-DesT-}
  Centos 7 for Pine A64 Luke 2 5,942 05-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,038 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  motionEyeOS (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 4 11,741 11-09-2018, 03:25 AM