Can't Boot from MicroSD (What Am I Missing)
Question 
Been banging my head against a wall for like a week now trying to install different things like Armbian, PostMarketOS, and DietPi.

None of them boot. I've left my Pinebook Pro on for like 40 minutes watching the light flash.

Following the generic instructions of burning an img with Etcher and powering on with the SD card leads nowhere.

Tried two different MicroSD cards.

Tried using DD.

Nothing yet. Does anyone know what my next steps should be.

I feel like I'm missing something that everyone knows but somehow I can't find in any of the wiki pages, youtube videos, or forum posts.
It's just a guess, but an educated one; it sounds to me like you're another victim of Manjaru.

Are you currently able to boot to eMMC? If so, do you mind erasing it? If you can erase the first portion of it, you should be able to boot to microSD.
If no to either question, you'll have to either disable the eMMC, or replace the U-Boot on the eMMC.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Have you tried a "warm" reset?
What is installed on the eMMC?
I have a stripped down version of Manjaro going if that matters. I removed all the packages I could and went with Sway and some Wayland stuff if that matters. It boots fine into that but I want to use something else.

(02-07-2023, 10:09 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Are you currently able to boot to eMMC? If so, do you mind erasing it? If you can erase the first portion of it, you should be able to boot to microSD.

This sounds like "thar be dragons" territory.
(02-07-2023, 07:18 PM)falken Wrote: I have a stripped down version of Manjaro going if that matters. I removed all the packages I could and went with Sway and some Wayland stuff if that matters. It boots fine into that but I want to use something else.

(02-07-2023, 10:09 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Are you currently able to boot to eMMC?  If so, do you mind erasing it?  If you can erase the first portion of it, you should be able to boot to microSD.

This sounds like "thar be dragons" territory.

Also had this issue with the mobian installer rom. Aslo needed to erase the emmc to tow-boot from sdcard, when i reinstalled from my messed up mobian install Tongue
Since you can currently boot to the eMMC, and would still like to, in addition to booting from micro SD, you have two options:
Replace the U-Boot on the eMMC with one that is more system-friendly
Or
Install Tow-Boot on the SPI ROM.

[ SRA accepts you ]
(02-08-2023, 06:25 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Since you can currently boot to the eMMC, and would still like to, in addition to booting from micro SD, you have two options:
Or

I can probably find info on these and go from there, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you link me to the docs/tutorials? I am willing to try this.
You could do a lot worse than putting a BSP uboot on your emmc,
manjaro has one, it has no search for nvme (boot_target), doesn't matter if you have no nvme
uboot-pinebookpro-bsp-1.5-7-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz,, search for only the name
It has the 3 normal files for a BSP uboot,,,, idbloader, uboot, trust
----
BTW, manjaro, like everyone else, does not actually "install" these files,
just "dumps" them into boot
You have to do the appropriate dd commands to get them into place
(02-08-2023, 10:51 PM)falken Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 06:25 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Since you can currently boot to the eMMC, and would still like to, in addition to booting from micro SD, you have two options:
Or

I can probably find info on these and go from there, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you link me to the docs/tutorials? I am willing to try this.

Here is a link that explains how to write U-Boot to the eMMC.  https://www.jwillikers.com/update-u-boot...nebook-pro bur I can't advise how to get the right U-Boot.

As for the SPI method, I haven't done it.  But it's become quite popular lately so there should be good instructions here in the forums. Or maybe on the Tow-Boot site.

[ SRA accepts you ]
Just wanted everyone to know all is well. I flashed tow boot to the SPI, then was able to boot Armbian from an microSD card after that and install everything. It was surprisingly simple once I saw what the commands were and which files I needed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Install Tow-Boot on the SPI Shad0w 12 7,567 09-03-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Spamiswak
  Extracting a copy of SPI NOR flash contents using micro SD card and u-boot hmuller 0 2,675 09-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Last Post: hmuller
  Program SPI NOR Flash on Pinebook Pro with u-boot on micro SD Card hmuller 0 3,393 09-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: hmuller
  How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC as400 47 55,724 06-07-2020, 02:37 AM
Last Post: as400
  How to get kernel boot messages on screen on Manjaro as400 2 4,270 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: as400
  Dual booting Linux with ChromiumOS using "boot floppy" Wizzard 5 6,903 11-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Last Post: TDC_PBP