What about dualboot?
Hi there,

is dualboot anyhow possible with the Pine64?
I would like to dualboot Android and Ubuntu.

Best regards
Julian
Hey Julian

I believe dual booting is possible.
(01-23-2016, 03:25 PM)JulianM Wrote: Hi there,

is dualboot anyhow possible with the Pine64?
I would like to dualboot Android and Ubuntu.

Best regards
Julian

I have no idea whether this is possible.
On PCs a program stored in firmware called the BIOS is used to select different storage devices, and loading boot loader programs  such as GRUB  which allows selection of different versions of Linux and other operating systems. Since the Pine 64 only supports booting from the micro SD card, it would need to be partitioned with one partition having a boot loader, and a partition for each operation system. I do not know if having multiple operating systems on a partitioned micro SD card would work.
(02-04-2016, 09:32 AM)stephen fleming Wrote: On PCs a program stored in firmware called the BIOS is used to select different storage devices, and loading boot loader programs  such as GRUB  which allows selection of different versions of Linux and other operating systems. Since the Pine 64 only supports booting from the micro SD card, it would need to be partitioned with one partition having a boot loader, and a partition for each operation system. I do not know if having multiple operating systems on a partitioned micro SD card would work.

This topic came up initially (at least I think it did, it was a while ago) because dual-booting (or multi-booting) is something that is possible on the Raspberry Pi, which is another small SoC system that utilises micro sd cards to hold the operating system(s).
(02-04-2016, 10:57 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 09:32 AM)stephen fleming Wrote: On PCs a program stored in firmware called the BIOS is used to select different storage devices, and loading boot loader programs  such as GRUB  which allows selection of different versions of Linux and other operating systems. Since the Pine 64 only supports booting from the micro SD card, it would need to be partitioned with one partition having a boot loader, and a partition for each operation system. I do not know if having multiple operating systems on a partitioned micro SD card would work.

This topic came up initially (at least I think it did, it was a while ago) because dual-booting (or multi-booting) is something that is possible on the Raspberry Pi, which is another small SoC system that utilises micro sd cards to hold the operating system(s).

I looked into that and there is a program called BerryBoot that allows multiple versions of Linux to be installed on the same SD card, however in will not work with non Linux operating systems.
(02-04-2016, 11:25 AM)stephen fleming Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 10:57 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:

I looked into that and there is a program called BerryBoot that allows multiple versions of Linux to be installed on the same SD card, however in will not work with non Linux operating systems.

Yeah, there's another thread that started about Berryboot but got sidetracked and went off at a micro sd card tangent, here.

The Raspberry Pi also has something called Noobs, which is designed for beginners to help them get started as quick as possible, but it also allows multi-booting of operating systems. Among these operating systems (indeed, mostly Linux-based) is Risc OS, which I believe is a non-Linux operating system. 

This is all just based on stuff I've heard or read. I use Raspbian with my Pi and have never tried dual-booting or multi-booting or anything like that. It could all be propaganda and sweet sweet lies Wink
Though if I were wanting to run a different OS, I would just use a different micro-SD card. It is much easier to replace a micro-SD card that costs something like $10 than a disk that is wired to the computer.
It would appear that there is no chance of having more than one OS on an SD card. Creating something like that would be an interesting project for the pine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Berryboot - Is dualboot for Pine64 possible with it? JulianM 9 13,704 04-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: scnd