Hibernation and Speaker Sound Issues, First Month of PBP
Hello everyone,

I am just checking in after a month or two of having my PBP, from the 6/22 batch. Please feel free to skip to the TL;DR.

Currently, I am running a Gentoo system, with TowBoot and then systemd-boot to boot. Initially, it was quite painful getting used to ARM64, as I have only installed Gentoo itself a couple of times, and that alone can be a bit tough. But, as all Gentoo users know: once you get settled into your installation, not much can go wrong. I really can't complain about this laptop (except for 2 things, which I'll get to later, but you can probably guess from the title of this thread), I love the battery life, and the build quality of the laptop as well. The laptop is also the right shape and size and weight to be travel worthy.

Besides the PinePhone, I haven't really got any experience with ARM, but my impression of it is very positive. I really like my PBP! Big Grin

However, things are not perfect in my experience. I have to keep the sound off because of the issue with the speakers that is documented here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8242

And I also haven't been able to get hibernation completely working. I am not sure of the cause of that issue, though.

I was hoping maybe somebody here would be able to give some insight to those two problems, it seemed like at least the speaker whine was able to be fixed a little, but I am not very hardware-inclined, so I'd ask for any fix to be dumbed down for me.

TL;DR very happy with the PBP running Gentoo, but I would like some help with the speakers and hibernation situation
Same here. I am inabile to get any answers about the sound stuff(I posted 2 threads about it). Someone on discord blamed the issues on something called the alsa ucm2 but… I suspect the hardware is bad.
I wanted to post that I found this link here that may be useful for debugging the hibernation and suspension...

I don't have the time to follow it at the moment sadly

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/p...gging.html
I have only had sound issues when running Manjaru. If the hardware was bad, it would happen in other operating systems.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(10-08-2022, 12:41 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I have only had sound issues when running Manjaru.  If the hardware was bad, it would happen in other operating systems.

Lucky you! Unfortunately your luck is not a shared experience. But thank you for your contribution. Smile
(10-13-2022, 06:24 PM)kebab Wrote:
(10-08-2022, 12:41 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I have only had sound issues when running Manjaru.  If the hardware was bad, it would happen in other operating systems.

Lucky you! Unfortunately your luck is not a shared experience. But thank you for your contribution. Smile

I should add that this is with three different PBPs.  One from the second run, one from maybe two or three production runs later, and one from the same as yours.  Something is different in the hardware of the latest one; but I don't know what it is.  It might just be a change in PCB layout.  But they all behave the same.

What operating systems have you tried?  I've tried Debian, Android, Chrome, NetBSD, Manjaru, and DietPi.  Only Manjaru seemed to have the problem.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
I have tried Manjaro, Arch Linux, Kali Linux, Fedora & Postmarketos an all of them have speaker issues...

Gesendet von meinem RMX3085 mit Tapatalk
(10-16-2022, 02:43 PM)petersen77 Wrote: I have tried Manjaro, Arch Linux, Kali Linux, Fedora & Postmarketos an all of them have speaker issues...

Gesendet von meinem RMX3085 mit Tapatalk

Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,912 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald
  Sound on Armbian Bram 1 818 04-01-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Any chance of fixing the audio issues on the new batch PBP(it can't be just me...) crazyquark 0 722 09-30-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: crazyquark
  Loud distorted speaker sound when connecting to power supply myself600 2 1,121 09-21-2022, 12:11 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,387 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  reset sound after suspend to memory (deep sleep) Der Geist der Maschine 16 16,532 10-18-2021, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Syonyk
  Sound stuttering on Manjaro gnome after latest kernel upgrade? pjsf 0 1,738 07-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Last Post: pjsf
Music No sound on PBP default installation ivek 9 9,040 05-09-2021, 05:58 PM
Last Post: binholz
  Manjaro Issues: Dark Screen & Font size Sally2 1 2,925 12-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: wove
  Installing Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) with BSP uBoot with deep sleep and sound Syonyk 17 18,960 11-19-2020, 03:16 AM
Last Post: FeMike