Mobian bust again after dist-upgrade?
Will I ever learn. I did a dist-upgrade this evening, immediately lost access to the internet via wifi. So I restarted the PPP and it came back up but still no internet via wifi. 

I tried shutting down and booting instead of just a restart. Now I cannot boot from the SD card with mobian on it at all. Or at least not in the same way I started it up til now. Double press and short hold on the power button normally did the trick but now nothing. 

I just checked to see if it was a coincidental hardware failure but the PPP boots OK from Manjaro/Plasma which came installed on the eMMC.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
(09-10-2022, 02:09 PM)grump_fiddle_reinstall Wrote: Will I ever learn. I did a dist-upgrade this evening, immediately lost access to the internet via wifi. So I restarted the PPP and it came back up but still no internet via wifi. 

I tried shutting down and booting instead of just a restart. Now I cannot boot from the SD card with mobian on it at all. Or at least not in the same way I started it up til now. Double press and short hold on the power button normally did the trick but now nothing. 

I just checked to see if it was a coincidental hardware failure but the PPP boots OK from Manjaro/Plasma which came installed on the eMMC.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Yes, Mobian Pinephone did the same to me a couple of weeks ago after I impatiently did a full-upgrade to get past persistent "held back" packages.  That's what I get for enjoying a late-night whiskey and updating before bed!  I am booting an old Mobian SD, which has Chatty and Phosh (and a bunch of others) held back.  No SMS/MMS, but otherwise usable.

Been checking for a new image to start over, but they seem to not have published a PP weekly in over 3 weeks.
If you want to get back SMS you can install chatty but that knocks out gnome-contacts.  Not a big deal in my case as my gnome-contacts stopped working anyways.
So I am without evolution contacts now and am waiting to try to reinstall that, and hopefully someone posts a list of other stuff I did not notice getting uninstalled.
(09-13-2022, 02:15 AM)biketool Wrote: If you want to get back SMS you can install chatty but that knocks out gnome-contacts.  Not a big deal in my case as my gnome-contacts stopped working anyways.
So I am without evolution contacts now and am waiting to try to reinstall that, and hopefully someone posts a list of other stuff I did not notice getting uninstalled.

Thanks for the advice.  Chatty is still installed, but it dies after the splash screen.  I haven't tried repair/reinstall, yet.  I suppose I have nothing to lose trying, right?   Undecided
(09-13-2022, 11:15 PM)photon Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 02:15 AM)biketool Wrote: If you want to get back SMS you can install chatty but that knocks out gnome-contacts.  Not a big deal in my case as my gnome-contacts stopped working anyways.

Thanks for the advice.  Chatty is still installed, but it dies after the splash screen.  I haven't tried repair/reinstall, yet.  I suppose I have nothing to lose trying, right?   Undecided

yes, but the app itself is uninstalled, the launcher will go away after a reboot.

On Arch Linux Phosh Evolution works in accordance with Chatty no problems.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
(09-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Chief Wrote:

there is a version clash between special versions of software for Mobian and the Debian repositories along side.
For example whatever is needed for screen red-shifting for night is now missing too.
I will probably need to wipe and reinstall as the upgrade logs have probably been overwritten by now.
(09-16-2022, 04:57 AM)biketool Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Chief Wrote:

there is a version clash between special versions of software for Mobian and the Debian repositories along side.
For example whatever is needed for screen red-shifting for night is now missing too.
I will probably need to wipe and reinstall as the upgrade logs have probably been overwritten by now.
I see ... over time these things may be resolved but is certainly annoying when one must with it 'now'. I have tried several images but I have settled on one for sure because all mainly works and that's Arch Phosh. My second phone uses Postmarket Plasma and in my opinion it is the only Plasma version (24) that works half decently and certainly with Postmarket. I tried Mobian several times now over the past year and I noted that it was like one bug and then another type scenario. Like I said over time it will be sorted out I hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,467 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Disable the GDM service in Mobian. mburns 0 413 11-25-2023, 10:19 PM
  The Mobian Phosh Experience mburns 1 796 11-18-2023, 08:21 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Fix the Mobian Weather App mburns 0 445 11-07-2023, 10:01 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 634 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Mobian Phosh Gnome Software Is Recommending A Broken Update. mburns 0 546 10-14-2023, 11:57 AM
  Mobian libnotify custom notifications MadameMalady 5 1,267 08-01-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  Mobian .desktop file creation MadameMalady 15 2,772 07-27-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  XFCE mobian running nicely but some oddities grump_fiddle_reinstall 0 759 07-01-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  [Mobian] : Battery consumption and OS compatibility freelectro 2 1,002 06-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal