Pinephone power consumption figures?
Hey all, I'm going to setup a file server and seed box running on a 4G modem for use in a campervan I'm buildling. I just wondering if anyone has any idea of how much power the pinephone consumes when plugged in 24/7? I'm considering using the pinephone instaed of an SBC and WWAN module, because it may be cheaper and/or simpler, but given I'll be running everything off of solar, I want to optimise the power consumption.
(09-02-2022, 05:06 PM)girl Wrote: Hey all, I'm going to setup a file server and seed box running on a 4G modem for use in a campervan I'm buildling. I just wondering if anyone has any idea of how much power the pinephone consumes when plugged in 24/7? I'm considering using the pinephone instaed of an SBC and WWAN module, because it may be cheaper and/or simpler, but given I'll be running everything off of solar, I want to optimise the power consumption.

Great question, and to answer all I can say is oof!
Currently the PP is pretty hungry especially if you are seeding which will keep the modem running, you could try turning off some of the CPU cores, I have been experimenting with this and it really doesnt slow me down except when web browsing or running heavy apps.  I cant find the thread I lifted this script from right now but this is what I am running as scripts, dont forget to chmod +x them

cpucold.sh shuts down all but thei first(cpu0) CPU core
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
and cpuhot.sh which returns cores 2-4(1-3 with 0 as the first core)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
Ideally we will eventually have a CPU tuning app as well as better use fo the hardware video and audio acceleration to get better general battery life.
Interesting idea turning off 3 of the CPU cores to save power. I really only use the phone for making and receiving calls, not videos, internet, etc. I'm going to set cpucold.sh to run at boot and see how it works out.

Addendum: I tried it and boot time increased noticeably. Takes over 2 minutes on single CPU, about 1 minute 40 seconds with all cores firing. (This is on Mobian using full disk encryption.) Might be better to run the script at login instead of at boot time.
I set up a task to shut down CPU cores at login by putting an appropriate .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart. This allows the phone to initially boot up with all cores firing. With only one CPU core active though the phone lagged quite a bit with 100% CPU usage and a climbing load average - especially for a few minutes after booting up while tasks are still starting in the background.

So now I'm turning off two cores instead of three, works much better, can hardly tell the difference. Not sure how much power it will save. (I also installed a desktop icon that can quickly go to one core for maximum energy savings if desired. Wrote a quick-and-dirty C program that accepts how many cores to turn off as a parameter.)
Found this more noob friendly, and convenient, alternative to using cli: https://github.com/vagnum08/cpupower-gui
(09-03-2022, 11:04 AM)biketool Wrote:
(09-02-2022, 05:06 PM)girl Wrote: Hey all, I'm going to setup a file server and seed box running on a 4G modem for use in a campervan I'm buildling. I just wondering if anyone has any idea of how much power the pinephone consumes when plugged in 24/7? I'm considering using the pinephone instaed of an SBC and WWAN module, because it may be cheaper and/or simpler, but given I'll be running everything off of solar, I want to optimise the power consumption.

Great question, and to answer all I can say is oof!
Currently the PP is pretty hungry especially if you are seeding which will keep the modem running, you could try turning off some of the CPU cores, I have been experimenting with this and it really doesnt slow me down except when web browsing or running heavy apps.  I cant find the thread I lifted this script from right now but this is what I am running as scripts, dont forget to chmod +x them

cpucold.sh shuts down all but thei first(cpu0) CPU core     happy wheels
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
and cpuhot.sh which returns cores 2-4(1-3 with 0 as the first core)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
Ideally we will eventually have a CPU tuning app as well as better use fo the hardware video and audio acceleration to get better general battery life.

It's very helpful. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,116 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  control power management aular 0 400 12-16-2023, 12:16 PM
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,603 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy