Suggested software for use case
Hi all, I just got my pinebook pro and it’s really interesting, but I’ve run into some issues installing software I had intended to use. I’m planning on using this for mobile writing and I need a reference manager and writer installed. I usually use zotero but it’s missing arm64 support, I also use obsidian and zettlr which both have arm64 app images I can use but app images seem less “good” than a full install but I don’t really know better or much about them!

I’ve finally managed to get twisterOS running on the SD card and honestly it feels pretty fast but the ram footprint is huge though it could be that it’s running from ram because it feels really fast.

I’m looking for suggestions on what I should install for software and systems, I need word processing so I’m thinking libre office but is it worth my time to fudge around with Debian systems? I’m more familiar with Debian based Linux but manjaro is what mine came with and it seems to work fairly well but I can’t run zotero or mendeley as a second choice.

Lastly, to get twisterOS to boot from the SD card I have to go in and switch off the EMMC and then hold power for 20 seconds every time I boot and as far as I can tell this is something called a uboot issue but I’ve been unable to find a clear answer.

Lastly, since I’m looking for lightweight and efficient and I’m not afraid to learn and try new things, I’m tempted by i3/sway but I haven’t found a good resource for learning that either yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-16-2022, 07:48 PM)ehcorn Wrote: Hi all, I just got my pinebook pro and it’s really interesting, but I’ve run into some issues installing software I had intended to use. I’m planning on using this for mobile writing and I need a reference manager and writer installed. I usually use zotero but it’s missing arm64 support, I also use obsidian and zettlr which both have arm64 app images I can use but app images seem less “good” than a full install but I don’t really know better or much about them!

Zotero and zettlr are available in the Arch User Repository (AUR).
Not sure if it compiles.
Looks like you have the change the PKGBUILD file to enable aarch64.

Here you can see how to do that: https://youtu.be/y9XHQCXhGX4
(08-17-2022, 12:58 AM)LivingLinux Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 07:48 PM)ehcorn Wrote: Hi all, I just got my pinebook pro and it’s really interesting, but I’ve run into some issues installing software I had intended to use. I’m planning on using this for mobile writing and I need a reference manager and writer installed. I usually use zotero but it’s missing arm64 support, I also use obsidian and zettlr which both have arm64 app images I can use but app images seem less “good” than a full install but I don’t really know better or much about them!

Zotero and zettlr are available in the Arch User Repository (AUR).
Not sure if it compiles.
Looks like you have the change the PKGBUILD file to enable aarch64.

Here you can see how to do that: https://youtu.be/y9XHQCXhGX4

I was trying to figure this out last night, thanks!

Looks like neither install properly, something about dependencies? I tried building by changing the architecture in the build file (zotero has unmet dependencies for arm) but I had high hopes for zettlr as it’s available in arm64 for Debian systems. Again however I ran into problems (dependancy I think) I’ll investigate later. As a side note, yay the AUR helper suggests forcing a build and makes this process of trying easier as you don’t need to edit a build file, just hit Y which may go against the ethos of arch but I like it Smile

I noticed flatpak was enabled in the system so I looked for options available. It appears that anything that has an arm64 build is distribution agnostic via flatpak so I’ve now got zettlr installed. I found an app that connects to zotero and downloads my bibliography and I can always manage my library online with zotero so for now I think that will have to do. If anyone stumbles across this looking for grad school writing workflows for Linux that aren’t computer science send me a message! I never stop learning.

Side note for flatpak I like, I’d you search in the terminal it appears to only show you software you can actually run on your architecture as opposed to the software centre that shows all matching AUR or repository packages regardless of build requirements.

I don't recommend it to very many people, but have you considered Emacs?

There is a big learning curve, it's true. It may take you some years to really grok it fully. OTOH, it can also be a tool you use for the rest of your life.

You seem like you are halfway there with zettel, notes, citations, etc. All of these things are supported in various Emacs packages, which brings them all into a consistent environment (Emacs).

TwisterOS is based on Armbian, there is currently some issue with not being able to boot from eMMC. I just got my PBP, so I hope to be able to dig into that issue ASAP. I'm pretty sure it used to work, so not sure what's going on there.

I am also an i3 user (on desktop), it works very well in combination with Emacs (especially running Emacs as a server, and then spawning emacsclient windows, which then open very fast). Tiling window managers are a different paradigm, but for some people (myself included) once you try them there is no going back.

Whether i3 or Emacs (both of which are quite different paradigms from other things you may be used to), I would encourage you to play around with them when you have time to be curious, and not when you are pressed for time to produce something (like some research, or a paper, etc.) which can ruin the experience. Both have tons of resources all over the Internet, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them, but let me know if you are looking for something specific.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kdenlive or other video editing software?? SuttonWillow 4 4,476 05-26-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: IsraelRobinson
  How Much Non-Free Software Does The PineBook Pro Use? ImmyChan 6 4,640 02-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Screws on bottom case coming loose quadrantids 8 7,083 01-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Last Post: quadrantids
  Kdenlive or other video editing software? ImmyChan 2 2,823 01-19-2021, 01:12 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro Case models sundog 2 2,764 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: sundog
  Minor case damage with gentle use. (Is anyone else seeing this?) hikaricore 31 34,648 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: hikaricore
  Got a case for my Pinebook Pro GhostDragon 3 4,110 09-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bastafari
  Case defect (crack) bigCamel 25 24,126 08-18-2020, 03:41 PM
Last Post: bigCamel
  Case upgrade for my PBP robt 2 3,772 08-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Damon
Photo No case logo? No problem! ALBNC1974 6 7,413 06-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64