Need a working image for Quartz64B
Question to the owners of Quartz64 B. Who has a working UART console ? What parameters do you use UART ? Which power supplies do you use ? On my instance, I can't get absolutely any output to the UART console (neither from u-boot nor from the kernel). I checked several guaranteed working USB-UART modules with different parameters (9600 115200 1500000). I have a suspicion that my instance is defective, because out of 6 power supplies (5V 2\3\4 A), I was able to start with only one 5V2A (and then, with failures when starting the system in the form of a constant reboot on all tested images).
(01-23-2023, 03:40 AM)balbes150 Wrote: Question to the owners of Quartz64 B. Who has a working UART console ? What parameters do you use UART ? Which power supplies do you use ? On my instance, I can't get absolutely any output to the UART console (neither from u-boot nor from the kernel). I checked several guaranteed working USB-UART modules with different parameters (9600 115200 1500000). I have a suspicion that my instance is defective, because out of 6 power supplies (5V 2\3\4 A), I was able to start with only one 5V2A (and then, with failures when starting the system in the form of a constant reboot on all tested images).

1500000 8N1
(01-23-2023, 09:02 PM)tllim Wrote: 1500000 8N1

It looks like my UART instance is not working. I checked all possible combinations of speed parameters, different modules and USB-UART wires (which work fine on all other RK35xx devices, including Quartz64A, SOQuartz). I use contacts to connect 6-8-10. Swapped the RX\TX, tried different GRN connection points on the board itself. But I do not receive absolutely any data to the console, i.e. not a single byte is received (absolute silence, there is not a single "strange" character, as happens when the data transfer rate is not correct) either from the u-boot stage or from the kernel. But there is good news, I picked up a power supply with which the system stably starts and works. Surprisingly, the ancient power supply from the old TV box with 5V\ 1.5A worked. With it, the device began to work without cyclic reboots. It is difficult to debug the bootloader and kernel without the UART console, but I managed to get Armbian running using EDK2-EFI and u-boot in extlinux.conf mode.

Question. what is in the SPI from the factory, is there some kind of loader there (without the UART console I can't check it)?
Where can I find information about the purpose of jumpers next to the Power and reset buttons ?
The purpose of the switch next to the USB ports ?
Armbian (Debian and Ubuntu) for Quartz64 B

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid115557
(01-24-2023, 12:12 AM)balbes150 Wrote:

It looks like my UART instance is not working. I checked all possible combinations of speed parameters, different modules and USB-UART wires (which work fine on all other RK35xx devices, including Quartz64A, SOQuartz). I use contacts to connect 6-8-10. Swapped the RX\TX, tried different GRN connection points on the board itself. But I do not receive absolutely any data to the console, i.e. not a single byte is received (absolute silence, there is not a single "strange" character, as happens when the data transfer rate is not correct) either from the u-boot stage or from the kernel. But there is good news, I picked up a power supply with which the system stably starts and works. Surprisingly, the ancient power supply from the old TV box with 5V\ 1.5A worked. With it, the device began to work without cyclic reboots.

I still need to look further into it, but I had the same issue with a Model-B, no output on both UART adapters (both woodpecker), while both work fine with Model-A.
The Model-B did work fine though (with Plebian), just no output on the serial console.

I haven't tried yet with another power supply, but I think I only have 5V 3A ones.
(01-24-2023, 11:16 AM)diederik Wrote: I still need to look further into it, but I had the same issue with a Model-B, no output on both UART adapters (both woodpecker), while both work fine with Model-A.
The Model-B did work fine though (with Plebian), just no output on the serial console.

I haven't tried yet with another power supply, but I think I only have 5V 3A ones.

Yes, I have the same, there is no output to UART, but Armbian and Alt linux start and work without problems using u-boot-2022.10 and EDK2-EFI with kernel 6.1 and 6.2. For ordinary users, the work of the UART console does not matter, it is important only for developers (for debugging and process control bootloader startup and the initial stage of kernel startup).
(01-24-2023, 11:16 AM)diederik Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 12:12 AM)balbes150 Wrote:

It looks like my UART instance is not working. I checked all possible combinations of speed parameters, different modules and USB-UART wires (which work fine on all other RK35xx devices, including Quartz64A, SOQuartz). I use contacts to connect 6-8-10. Swapped the RX\TX, tried different GRN connection points on the board itself. But I do not receive absolutely any data to the console, i.e. not a single byte is received (absolute silence, there is not a single "strange" character, as happens when the data transfer rate is not correct) either from the u-boot stage or from the kernel. But there is good news, I picked up a power supply with which the system stably starts and works. Surprisingly, the ancient power supply from the old TV box with 5V\ 1.5A worked. With it, the device began to work without cyclic reboots.

I still need to look further into it, but I had the same issue with a Model-B, no output on both UART adapters (both woodpecker), while both work fine with Model-A.

I bought a power supply and set it to 5V and it only delivers 1A (!). To my surprise, the Model-B did boot up, but there's still 0 output on the serial Confused

Next test will be with a newer Plebian image as I noticed mine was rather 'old' (2022-12-01) and with a custom kernel, whereas it now comes with a Debian kernel.
Added EDK2-EFI support for Quartz64-B, details and links to working images in the corresponding topic about Armbian.
(01-24-2023, 11:51 PM)balbes150 Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 11:16 AM)diederik Wrote: I still need to look further into it, but I had the same issue with a Model-B, no output on both UART adapters (both woodpecker), while both work fine with Model-A.

Yes, I have the same, there is no output to UART, but Armbian and Alt linux start and work without problems using u-boot-2022.10 and EDK2-EFI with kernel 6.1 and 6.2. For ordinary users, the work of the UART console does not matter, it is important only for developers (for debugging and process control bootloader startup and the initial stage of kernel startup).

While I can't write (upstream) kernel drivers, I do consider myself a developer and have contributed to Plebian. (So) for me a working UART console is important.

(01-28-2023, 04:58 AM)balbes150 Wrote: Added EDK2-EFI support for Quartz64-B, details and links to working images in the corresponding topic about Armbian.

Did you get serial console output with EDK2-EFI?
IMHO this is a hardware problem, so I don't waste time checking.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quartz64B eMMC boot failure bsmorgan 2 438 11-15-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  can't get quartz64-A working jyoung 14 4,123 04-29-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: diederik
Tongue Trying to get Quartz model A working fasani 2 2,130 09-17-2022, 06:43 AM
Last Post: balbes150