Keyboard not working PPP is support broken atm?
Hey all, 
Just received my keyboard.
It looks awesome. 
I plugged it in and nothing on my manjaro install with plasma
I though maybe manjaro was not supported like pmOS so flashed across to that with plasma and nothing. 
I checked the docs and the guides which ellude to it being an auto thing. 
I can see the battery charging indicator in pmOS and if I push any harder on the pogo pin area I am going to break my screen. 

I was reading some of the forums and reddit and with latest kernel there was issues? Is this an order 'latest' and we should be good to go?
I checked about the firmware ie kernel or users pace but based on the docs saying that it should already be supported and just automatically I came here in case I am doing something wrong. 

Cheers all.
So I had a little bit more of a play today and flashed mobian.
Keyboard started working straight away.
In my case, the keyboard works for Mobian, PmOS, Arch, and Kali. Just couldn't find a way to tell if the charging button works or not except observing the battery drain.
(08-11-2022, 03:44 AM)joshndroid Wrote: Hey all, 
It looks awesome. 
I though maybe manjaro was not supported like pmOS so flashed across to that with plasma and nothing. 
I can see the battery charging indicator in pmOS and if I push any harder on the pogo pin area I am going to break my screen. 

I was reading some of the forums and reddit and with latest kernel there was issues? Is this an order 'latest' and we should be good to go?
I checked about the firmware ie kernel or users pace but based on the docs saying that it should already be supported and just automatically I came here in case I am doing something wrong. 

Cheers all.

I had a similar issue which resolved on its own.
Perhaps a similar issue for when the pinephone pro battery is completely discharged and the peripheral will take a very long time to initialize properly?

For while mine would also charge my phone with no input and upon an eventual reboot of my OS would register inputs into my phone.
(05-09-2023, 11:19 AM)tigerbalm69 Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 03:44 AM)joshndroid Wrote: Hey all, 
It looks awesome. 

Cheers all.

I had a similar issue which resolved on its own.
Perhaps a similar issue for when the pinephone pro battery is completely discharged and the peripheral will take a very long time to initialize properly?

For while mine would also charge my phone with no input and upon an eventual reboot of my OS would register inputs into my phone.

Yeah it seems a real shame the keyboard didn't have some sort of LED indicator like a phone to show on / off and charging to phone or from power ?
I'm assuming software could be done to have the phone LED show external keyboard Battery / Charging and or keyboard on / off status ? Would that be a trivial or not task in Mobian / Posh ? Or is it already done in other Distro's / Desk(Phone)tops ?

Found my keyboard to work perfectly in Mobian. Saw it appear in the Settings Menu - > Battery as "alternative battery" and it was a little "clunky / slow" to update in that screen showing when on / off and charging. I don't think it's really intuitive on that screen however it does work as "advertised" Wink

I'd think it would be better to show an "external" charging source clearly there and some sort of GUI indicator for when the keyboards on / off and charging. That would be much clearer in my "humble" feedback !
The tip covered in the older Pine Phone forums for new players is to ensure the Phone is "firmly" seated in the Keyboard Case. Thus making sure Pogo Pin's have a good and firm connection. I find as recommended by others previously to give the phone a gentle but firm press around all edges in the Keyboard Case to confirm it's fully seated into it's extended keyboard / battery case !

Well a couple of weeks later and I'm actually quite happy with the physical Keyboard. The extra 6000mAh capacity is a God send. Keyboard feels nice and sturdy and as yet I've not encountered any of the old issues covered in the older Pine Phone forums. Whilst a little disappointed the physical keyboard doesn't in effect support touch typing and only 1/2 finger typing I do find the device to be very practical and handy Smile Sure it makes the overall device much "bulkier" than a standard phone but I find that a small sacrifice as it still happily fit's in a pocket in it's entirety ! I like the tactile physical "feel" of the whole unit and it's retro "Old Skool PDA" look and feel (maybe it's just the Dinosaur in me Wink

So far a happy addition and enhanced capability for the Pine Phone Pro. Impressed and surprised to see it also fully functional in the Sailfish OS Build I'm currently playing with at the moment. Of course just works out of the box for the current Mobian Posh build as well !

I suppose my only question is does it support out of the box F11/F12 keys in Mobian Posh at all ? Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here ? I can't seem to get that to work or track down any reference on the Keyboard wiki's or older Pine Phone forums ? Does it just support F1-F10 only ? also is there a clear reference anywhere to using the "Pine" key to use extra key functions such as + and - out of the box or do we need to change firmware's on the keyboard or the likes to get that going ? It's a little confusing on the older forums as to what is still an "issue" on the latest 4-8 week old factory version of the Keyboards being sent out ?

A little disappointing but not a show stopper of course;

***NB: Don't use the Phone USB C port "at all for anything" when using the Keyboard connected to the Pine Phone Pro***

Finally thank you to all involved in working on, improving and realising the Physical Keyboard and Extended Battery. A very "happy" addition to my Pine Phone Pro Smile
Can I come back to this topic for anyone who may shed some light on my situation? I have used the ppkb with the ppp and was very happy with it. Had worked out how to get the extra symbols without having to use userspace drivers etc and was very happy with the added capacity. I had some problems with receiving and making calls from suspend but this was working after a recent mobian update and just as I was preparing to daily drive the ppp I am unable to charge the ppkb. It seems to charge for a short second or two and then on sxmo it has a red indicator around the battery. It seems to charge the maain phone when the usb cable is plugged into the battery.

I have to admit I was using the usb port in the phone to use the convergence on my nexdock but have done this in the past with no problems particularly as megi and others have said this is no longer thought to be problematic, particularly if you do not use both usb ports at the same time. The only thing that I did not do was power off the ppkb using the side button, but I was led to believe this should not matter as all it does is lead to the ppkb battery being discharged unnecessarily.

In my mind it is either the charger chip that is broken or the ppkb battery has become too discharged (I say this as at times for a short second or two it looks like the ppkb battery is charging before it errors out - may that is a charger chip issue).

Any help gratefully received as at the moment just using the regular battery for the pinephone is not enough (although I could buy a few J7 batteries and get into battery swappage like in the old days) to daily drive the phone.
My keyboard back stopped charging the Pinephone Pro, so I removed it.
(11-07-2023, 09:13 AM)mburns Wrote: My keyboard back stopped charging the Pinephone Pro, so I removed it.

mburns

Could you clarify what you did in regards to "I removed it." Do you mean your don't use the keyboard anymore or something else ?

Jite I've suffered similar to the symptoms you've described. After a complete discharge on the Keyboard I found I had to pop the Keyboard on to a Main's Powered USB Charger by itself (Old USB C Chromebook charger) for several days to get the charge back up on it. Once that was done I was able to connect it to the phone once again and charge via normal 3AMP USB C power chargers.
(11-18-2023, 09:36 AM)crocspot Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 09:13 AM)mburns Wrote: My keyboard back stopped charging the Pinephone Pro, so I removed it.

mburns

Could you clarify what you did in regards to "I removed it." Do you mean your don't use the keyboard anymore or something else ?

Jite I've suffered similar to the symptoms you've described. After a complete discharge on the Keyboard I found I had to pop the Keyboard on to a Main's Powered USB Charger by itself  (Old USB C Chromebook charger) for several days to get the charge back up on it. Once that was done I was able to connect it to the phone once again and charge via normal 3AMP USB C power chargers.
Hi, 

In the end the charger chip was fried and what I described above was the precursor to it completely breaking. I have managed to change the keyboard main board successfully and it is working again. More importantly, I have changed the charger that I have used with the keyboard, and touch wood, things seem to be working ok. The keyboard is not heating up when charging, which is a good sign. 

I am also interested in what mburns has said about the back as I have had a few issues with the pogo pins connecting and have had to put in a piece of cardboard to enable better connection, which is working, but perhaps I cut the cardboard too thick as it has caused a break in the plastic in that area on the back of the keyboard case. 

Oh well, at least everything is working now. 

Based on another post in the forum, I have purchased a phone cooler and will see if I can use this to do convergence for more than 3-4 hours before the phone overheats...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The XIT bluetooth folding keyboard can work with the Pinephone Pro mburns 0 221 11-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Fixing the PinePhone Keyboard for the Linux Console mburns 0 441 09-02-2023, 07:48 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Keyboard charges, won't type - ERROR: I2C_RDWR failed: No such device or address jovval 0 404 07-10-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: jovval
Exclamation Wireless charger (QI) not working on PinePhone Pro zeroskyx 6 4,895 05-13-2022, 09:59 AM
Last Post: zeroskyx
Bug Keyboard Power Issues Merc 13 7,858 05-02-2022, 09:41 AM
Last Post: dgiffin
  Checking Keyboard Charging Status dgiffin 0 1,152 04-23-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: dgiffin
  Use keyboard case as virtual mouse EwigeBlumenkraft 1 1,842 03-24-2022, 05:22 AM
Last Post: magdesign
  Hardware keyboard top row keycodes problem cyrelk 2 2,234 03-03-2022, 03:01 AM
Last Post: cyrelk
  Keyboard case issues dgiffin 10 6,960 03-03-2022, 12:56 AM
Last Post: tcoulon
  Keyboard Not Charging PPP thismarty 7 5,134 02-09-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: thismarty