Proximity sensor is oversensitive (was "Screen blanks when making call")
After I place a call (by clicking the call button in the contacts list or in the recent calls list) the display blanks.  The only way to get the display back so I can press the speaker button or access the dial pad seems to be to press the power button twice - the first time to lock the phone and the second to get the unlock screen.  Still, the display will sometimes blank again after a couple seconds.  Another aspect to this is that when I'm dialing the Calls screen has a white background with white buttons and after unlocking the Calls screen has a black background and black buttons.

Using up-to-date Mobian Bookworm but this behavior has been going on for quite a while.  Does anyone else see this?
I had a similar issue, caused by the proximity sensor.
Can you please check what
Code:
grep . /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device*/in_proximity_{nearlevel,raw}

provides.
In my case it helped to peel of the screen protector (before raw was always above 25, whereas 15 and above indicate "phone is placed near the ear -- blank screen").
(07-29-2022, 02:02 AM)jsch Wrote: I had a similar issue, caused by the proximity sensor.
Can you please check what
Code:
grep . /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device*/in_proximity_{nearlevel,raw}

provides.
In my case it helped to peel of the screen protector (before raw was always above 25, whereas 15 and above indicate "phone is placed near the ear -- blank screen").

I forgot about the proximity sensor!

$ grep . /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device*/in_proximity_{nearlevel,raw}
/sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_proximity_nearlevel:15
/sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_proximity_raw:17

That's with the phone face-up on a desk and me a couple feet away.  If I put my hand over the phone at varying distances the raw value ranged from 19 to 408.  I hate to lose the screen protector.  I tried echoing a new value into in_proximity_nearlevel but kept getting "permssion denied" so I'm searching for info on tweaking that.
(07-29-2022, 06:39 AM)treebeard Wrote: I tried echoing a new value into in_proximity_nearlevel but kept getting "permssion denied" so I'm searching for info on tweaking that.

No luck yet on tweaking proximity parameters but cleaning the fingerprints and gunk off my screen helped a lot!  Mobian apparently used to have a /etc/udev/rules.d/10-proximity.rules so if I find one of those it might provide some insight.

I did find that one can temporarily disable the proximity sensor (and ambient light level detection?) with "sudo rmmod stk3310" and do it permanently by adding that module to /etc/modprobe.d/proximity.conf.
(07-29-2022, 08:27 AM)treebeard Wrote: No luck yet on tweaking proximity parameters but cleaning the fingerprints and gunk off my screen helped a lot!  Mobian apparently used to have a /etc/udev/rules.d/10-proximity.rules so if I find one of those it might provide some insight.

I did find that one can temporarily disable the proximity sensor (and ambient light level detection?) with "sudo rmmod stk3310" and do it permanently by adding that module to /etc/modprobe.d/proximity.conf.

I filed an issue with Mobian if anyone wants to follow it over there.
I was apparently successful in finding a way to adjust the sensitivity and others have shown ways of determining a suitable configuration and testing its operation.  See Mobian issue 446.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen auto-rotation sensitivity mdk 0 213 12-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Screen stay black unless power key pressed short freelectro 0 601 06-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  Unsuspend → Black screen mdk 15 4,777 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Melechtna
  Lock screen question: always squeekboard tuxcall 1 1,152 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Haibara23
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 960 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Making a new keyboard layout Eugo 2 1,396 08-28-2022, 04:15 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  how to split screen? andrew907 2 1,420 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Last Post: andrew907
  on screen keyboard woes vusra 1 1,178 07-18-2022, 03:29 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Giving certain audio apps priority on the lock screen and pulldown 3x5co 0 808 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Won't boot, black screen mdk 4 2,582 07-03-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Chief