PP Keyboard question
Hi All,

The battery on my PP keyboard is recognized by Mobian as a power source in Settings --> Power on my PP (not pro edition); however, there five (5) power sources are listed, which are: unlabeled (Discharging), Main (0%), Extra (0%), Extra (0%), Extra (70%).

The button on the right side of the keyboard does not activate/deactivate charging status. Does not work when I do a double press or a long press.

Note: I can use the keyboard for typing.

I have never used the usb-c port on the PP to charge the PP while it was in the PP keyboard, so this isn't the cause. I wonder if a possible cause is a software update (I use mobian).

The PP keyboard battery did charge the PP battery when I first received it, but stopped recently, which is when I noticed it not working. I don't know when this issue first began because I only plug in the keyboard for testing progress of optimizing the operating system power consumption/compatibility with the PP keyboard. When the PP keyboard battery was working with PP, the PP keyboard battery increased the duration of use of the PP by about 50%, hoped it would be more.

Wondering if others have experienced similar issue.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Stay well.
i noticed that different os's show battery indicator differently and also charging. my guess is, it's a bug in a software.

this console program gives some info.
Code:
$ upower -d

at least i noticed that if screen is on, then keyboard barely charges the pinephone.
Thanks zetabeta! That's helpful.
I have similar symptoms under mobian right now. When the PP is connected to the keyboard Main never shows more than 24% no matter how long it charges and even if the PP is turned off when charging. If I charge the PP when removed from the keyboard case it charges to 100% but only shows max 24% when it is put back in the keyboard case.

The case battery gives a reading between 94 and 97% but does not appear to charge the phone battery.

So, have the keyboard drivers been borked again, creating charging issues or are 1st batch keyboards starting to slowly die?

(07-09-2022, 09:04 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i noticed that different os's show battery indicator differently and also charging. my guess is, it's a bug in a software.

this console program gives some info.
Code:
$ upower -d

at least i noticed that if screen is on, then keyboard barely charges the pinephone.

Thanks. I will try running that later with my PP in the keyboard case.
In my case replacing the circuit board in the keyboard fixed the charging problems.

However it never shows more than 66% with the Main and Extra batteries charged to 100% each. I assume the other 33% is assigned to the phantom battery which is not present. Also it appears that the "Extra" battery is the phone battery while the "Main" battery is the one in the keyboard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,207 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,453 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,901 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,109 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 447 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 560 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 901 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  How to disassemble Keyboard top and replace cables? elof 2 717 10-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: elof