no wakeup from deep-sleep
Hello

On one out of ten occasions the phone does not wake up from deep sleep. This started one week ago. Is this a known issue (which has a workaround/cure)?
Hardware: OG-PP

Pressing the power button (short), call the phone number, plug in power supply, nothing wakes the system up again.
Only a hard reboot (pressing the power button long) brings it bake to life.

last log entries:
Code:
Jun 28 23:16:56 mobian systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Jun 28 23:16:56 mobian systemd[1]: Starting System Suspend...
Jun 28 23:16:56 mobian systemd-sleep[4075]: Entering sleep state 'suspend'...
Jun 28 23:16:56 mobian kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)
(06-28-2022, 03:53 PM)jsch Wrote: Hello

On one out of ten occasions the phone does not wake up from deep sleep. This started one week ago. Is this a known issue (which has a workaround/cure)?
Hardware: OG-PP

Pressing the power button (short), call the phone number, plug in power supply, nothing wakes the system up again.
Only a hard reboot (pressing the power button long) brings it bake to life.

I see that same thing once in a while and don't have a clue to the cause.  About 1/3 of the forced reboots result in the phone starting with the clock at Jan 26 2022 @ 17:35.  I've no idea where that timestamp comes from.
bookworm stable or unstable?

I also deal with having to hold power off 10sec to reboot quite often to get out of deep sleep, system lockups, as well as finding my phone waiting at the unlock EMMC screen(from apparent reboot).

If my issue is memory errors(3gb RAM/32gb EMMC system board) I wish there were an app to tweak CPU, memory, and GPU clock speeds/voltages; maybe even an automagical SD card image to determing fastest safe speeds vs error crashes.
I have installed the image from staging (5.15.50) yesterday. Since the new kernel is installed, the phone did not had wake-up issues.
According to https://packages.mobian.org/ this version already made it's path from staging to bookworm stable.
It was working fine one day (w/ 5.15.50), but now it happened twice within a few hours. So the issue is not solved w/ 5.15.50.
It did not even help downgrading the kernel (to a version which was active when I didn't face the issue) or removing some software (which was installed the last weeks), hence it seemed to be caused by something different.
Once I removed the micro-SD card (system is installed on eMMC) the issue didn't happen again. 23 resumes could be triggered since last reboot.

Can someone facing the same issue (no wake-up after suspend) confirm this approach is working?
(07-10-2022, 08:23 AM)jsch Wrote: It did not even help downgrading the kernel (to a version which was active when I didn't face the issue) or removing some software (which was installed the last weeks), hence it seemed to be caused by something different.
Once I removed the micro-SD card (system is installed on eMMC) the issue didn't happen again. 23 resumes could be triggered since last reboot.

Can someone facing the same issue (no wake-up after suspend) confirm this approach is working?

I rarely have an SD card inserted, yet have the problem.  I've recently upgraded the modem firmware from the original Quectel v01.001.01.001 to Biktorgj's stuff + ADSP v01.002 and that didn't help (not that I expected it to).  I don't recall when this issue started for me but my earliest recorded instance is Feb 2022.  I've been on Bookworm (with full-disk encryption) since Sep '21 and do a dist-upgrade every 2-3 weeks.
For what it's worth, I've reviewed many failure-to-wake issues in various gitlabs and saw several reports of people letting the phone sit for 5-15 minutes after it failed to wake, and on retry it did sometimes wake. Something to try, if you can wait.
Some of the events I recorded as "no wake from sleep" could also be caused by the system shutting down unexpected, especially after a phone call. According to https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports...uests/2482 it is no longer required to have wys installed (if you have callaudiod installed and if your phone is a pinephone(pro) ).

Install callaudiod (and library), it is most probably already installed.

Code:
sudo apt-get install callaudiod libcallaudio-0-1

Disable wys (it can't be removed due to dependencies). If it's only disabled/masked as user mobian, then it will show up w/ user root again.

Code:
systemctl --user disable wys
systemctl --user mask wys

sudo systemctl --user disable wys
sudo systemctl --user mask wys

After a reboot, verify that there is really no wys service active.

Code:
pgrep wys
This should return no output.

In addition to that, I upgraded my kernel to 5.15.63 (now it's 5.15.64). One of the official patches for 5.15.63 holds a fix for zram issue, maybe that's the culprit regarding the deep sleeps?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian and Deep Sleep Crust some_pinephone_user 1 1,913 11-14-2021, 07:05 AM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
  Deep sleep shutdown the phone bitsandnumbers 19 12,469 10-22-2021, 07:04 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  eg25manager always turns on GPS when waking up from sleep dcinoz 5 3,972 02-21-2021, 05:06 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Howto - automatically recover your modem and mobile data after deep sleep as400 23 18,312 01-05-2021, 08:14 AM
Last Post: scholbert
Information Receiving Call During Sleep Experiment/Experience RTP 1 2,838 11-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: dukla2000