Applying a fan for the Pine 64+?
How would someone go about applying a fan for the Pine 64+? Mine is currently being shipped and I am trying to learn as much about it as possible, I haven't been all that good with hardware up until this point but I'm trying to learn. If someone could help me with this (what I think is easy?) issue, than I'd be greatly appreciated! Smile
(07-07-2016, 08:44 PM)Maximum Wrote: How would someone go about applying a fan for the Pine 64+? Mine is currently being shipped and I am trying to learn as much about it as possible, I haven't been all that good with hardware up until this point but I'm trying to learn. If someone could help me with this (what I think is easy?) issue, than I'd be greatly appreciated! Smile

You could manufacture some struts to hold a fan above the board (you could include a heatsink as well), and then affix them directly onto the board (using blutack?) -the only issue would be stability - you don't want the Pine to get knocked and the fan to fall over. 

Personally I would make a square/circular cutaway in whatever case you get/make and then drill (4) holes around the perimeter and mount the fan that way. Use nuts and bolts to hold the fan firmly in place.
hi, here is a link with a pic of my fan mount...

... I used rubber stand-offs (foreground) that support the fan quietly in a free-standing fashion about 3-4mm above the SoC heatsink... keeps things cool, is simple and inexpensive, and is relatively quiet.

marcus
I know that everyone is answering fan questions really well. However, one observation is that a fan may not be needed. The requirement for a fan depends on use case and if you are doing something that incorporates heavy computing then a fan will really help, but if your application is of lower intensity, then you might not need it. Naturally, your mileage will vary, but the key point is that it is not 100% certain that you will need a fan.
(07-12-2016, 06:09 AM)jl_678 Wrote: I know that everyone is answering fan questions really well. However, one observation is that a fan may not be needed. The requirement for a fan depends on use case and if you are doing something that incorporates heavy computing then a fan will really help, but if your application is of lower intensity, then you might not need it. Naturally, your mileage will vary, but the key point is that it is not 100% certain that you will need a fan.

Very true. Up until now I only used the Pine for Netflix and browsing. Didn't need any cooling not even a heatsink.

Do not forget you have to power the fan. If you power it directly from the pine you will need a 5V fan.
(07-12-2016, 07:44 AM)Boring Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 06:09 AM)jl_678 Wrote: I know that everyone is answering fan questions really well.  However, one observation is that a fan may not be needed.  The requirement for a fan depends on use case and if you are doing something that incorporates heavy computing then a fan will really help, but if your application is of lower intensity, then you might not need it.  Naturally, your mileage will vary, but the key point is that it is not 100% certain that you will need a fan.

Very true. Up until now I only used the Pine for Netflix and browsing. Didn't need any cooling not even a heatsink.

Do not forget you have to power the fan. If you power it directly from the pine you will need a 5V fan.

I am using a 12V fan on one of mine. It works fine. Because the Pine itself only draws 5V from the power supply it can only power the fan with 5V which is enough to move it and it does a damn good job at it too!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine store paulhide 1 3,115 09-17-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My optimal software configuration for pine A64(+) 2Gb Alkemyboy 3 4,508 03-18-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pine HDMI -> DVI monitor Pineapple 4 7,641 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Pineapple
  PINE A64+ 4K Media Computer RWL 4 6,779 11-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mindwave
  Multi Room Audio - Pine style mjgoode 4 8,513 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Last Post: mjgoode
  Pine 64 LTS Schematic And R18 Reference Manual Akash Gajjar 2 5,176 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  [PINE A64+ 2GB] Ubuntu - Losing Signal Arlanps 4 6,068 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Arlanps
  Using Pine cluster for Docker Swarm jpnh 1 3,748 11-22-2016, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jpnh
  Pine 64 IR Receiver not working rajatgarg21 1 3,139 08-31-2016, 12:47 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  My personal discovery of no video upon first booting my Pine A64 AZ_Ron 3 5,363 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Last Post: efalsken