My Pine doesn't allow me to install to eMMC on different OS's
Tried several different ways to install Sailfish. But no matter how I try, when writing to eMMC memory it seems that nothing happens and then I get all kinds of errors:
  • ls: cannot access 'mmcblk2': No such file or directory
  • Error: The location 256MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • Error: The location 256MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • Error: The location 6250MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • The file mmcblk2 does not exist and no size was specified.
  • mke2fs 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/root: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/boot: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.

Is it that I don't have the correct permissions? Which I would find strange, because I have really tried all kinds of ways. I used external terminal, I used Jumpdrive and I used terminal from the phone himself. Whatever I do, at the question Which SD card do you want to flash? nothing seems to work anymore

Could it be that I have a Pine 1.0? Have no idea what the differences are between 1.0 and 1.1.

What also struck me is that when I install Manjaro, for example, I cannot install 1 app from the store. For example 'Signal':
First the easy way, install Manjaro, configure it and go to Discover and search for Signal. Once clicked on it, immediately the first error:
signal-desktop;5.43.0-1;aarch64;community: could not find or read package

I ignore that and I press the install button and after a few seconds I get the next error:
Package download failed

There must be something wrong with the writing or things like that. Or do I miss something? Could I hard reset my Pine?
(05-31-2022, 07:31 AM)Kimberley van Buyten Wrote: Tried several different ways to install Sailfish. But no matter how I try, when writing to eMMC memory it seems that nothing happens and then I get all kinds of errors:
  • ls: cannot access 'mmcblk2': No such file or directory
  • Error: The location 6250MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/root: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/boot: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.

Is it that I don't have the correct permissions? Which I would find strange, because I have really tried all kinds of ways. I used external terminal, I used Jumpdrive and I used terminal from the phone himself. Whatever I do, at the question Which SD card do you want to flash? nothing seems to work anymore

Could it be that I have a Pine 1.0? Have no idea what the differences are between 1.0 and 1.1.

What also struck me is that when I install Manjaro, for example, I cannot install 1 app from the store. For example 'Signal':
First the easy way, install Manjaro, configure it and go to Discover and search for Signal. Once clicked on it, immediately the first error:
signal-desktop;5.43.0-1;aarch64;community: could not find or read package

I ignore that and I press the install button and after a few seconds I get the next error:
Package download failed

There must be something wrong with the writing or things like that. Or do I miss something? Could I hard reset my Pine?

Would recommend having a look in the Sailfish section, there might be something relevant: https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=126. What I'm noticing is that your logs say "mmcblk2", however the device is not called "mmcblk2" when you're using Jumpdrive.

Regarding your issue with Manjaro, I would recommend to use the terminal on the phone. Try to run "sudo pacman -S signal-desktop" and check what the exact issue is. The GUI package manager doesn't return any meaningful errors.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 198 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,977 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 290 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 907 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,812 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 1,073 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,703 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 700 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,447 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,723 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn