How to modify *.conf files?
I have found some *.conf files at my at my Remix installation at root/etc e.g. files controlling the audio setup.
It would indeed be interesting to be able to modify some af these files, it might e.g. solve the issue related to default audio output.
But they are all write protected. 

I suppose I shall use at terminal emulator and there change the access level to read/write but I haven't used Linux for 30 years and can't remember many commands any more.
Furthermore do I not know which will work in in Remix / Android.
Its worse than that, actually.

... you will need to root the divice. Android comes in two flavors... one rooted, the other not rooted. If its not rooted you wont be able to modify the system yourself.

I am not sure if Remix is rooted, or if you can root it... to use a modifiable Android you'll need to install the rooted SD img for Android.

marcus
(07-07-2016, 12:20 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Its worse than that, actually.

... you will need to root the divice. Android comes in two flavors... one rooted, the other not rooted. If its not rooted you wont be able to modify the system yourself.

I am not sure if Remix is rooted, or if you can root it... to use a modifiable Android you'll need to install the rooted SD img for Android.

marcus

Many thanks Marcus,

Remix is not rooted and can't be rooted. I will then hope the next update will solve some of the issues found.  

An ordinary rooted android could also be an option but I don't like the default desktop setup - It's not intended to be used on a 40" TV / monitor but a small tablet.
Is there a way to fix it? ( The high resolution is wasted by big icons and app headers)
(07-07-2016, 12:57 AM)gbjensen Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 12:20 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Its worse than that, actually.

marcus

Many thanks Marcus,

Remix is not rooted and can't be rooted. I will then hope the next update will solve some of the issues found.  

An ordinary rooted android could also be an option but I don't like the default desktop setup - It's not intended to be used on a 40" TV / monitor but a small tablet.
Is there a way to fix it? ( The high resolution is wasted by big icons and app headers)

You could try one of the many launchers available for android. I am using the Lightning Launcher for my android setup and it looks good on my 55" tv. 
The reason I chose Lightning Launcher is because of all the possibilities of customization.
You can always just plug the sdcard into your PC with a cardreader and edit the files there, no need for a rooted OS....
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(07-07-2016, 08:18 AM)xalius Wrote: You can always just plug the sdcard into your PC with a cardreader and edit the files there, no need for a rooted OS....

doh !

tnx...

marcus
(07-07-2016, 08:18 AM)xalius Wrote: You can always just plug the sdcard into your PC with a cardreader and edit the files there, no need for a rooted OS....

Hi xalius,

You might have a point, but after I have installed a EXT2 Volume manager and are able to see the content of my sd card, I can't find the root files.
Do you know where do I find the root files ? e.g /etc/audio_policy.conf ??

Many thanks for your help!
(07-08-2016, 11:47 AM)gbjensen Wrote:

Hi xalius,

You might have a point, but after I have installed a EXT2 Volume manager and are able to see the content of my sd card, I can't find the root files.
Do you know where do I find the root files ? e.g /etc/audio_policy.conf ??

Many thanks for your help!

Hi, I found a better EXT2 manager, and can highly recommend Paragon ExtFS for windows.
With this tool I can mound my image at the PC and get access to all the files including the rooted files.
But anyway, modify the /etc/audio_policy.conf file (I changed from: "default_output_device AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER" to: "default_output_device AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE") did not had the expected effect.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to modify IMEI Hoook 6 11,593 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  How to modify HOSTS file rvalecruz 1 3,231 02-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Script for building DD image - I hate 18GB zip files! jonsmirl 1 2,688 07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Last Post: xalius