New user. Very excited as this is my first linux phone...have a few questions
New PinePhone Pro arrived today, popped my Verizon SIM in and viola...worked like a champ. Tested SMS and phone calls with the wife, and all that worked. MMS isn't working, but I think the docs I read prepared me to expect that (if there is a workaround, I'm all ears).

Sadly, I can't find any audio files preloaded for things like ringtones or wakeup alarms, so I'm trying to drop some music onto it. Using Ubuntu Desktop and not sure how to mount the phone (connected usb->usb-c). How can I mount the phone to transfer files?

Also, what's the camera app? I don't see a way to take pics. Thanks for all the community is doing! Looking forward to learning a lot and getting my feet wet.
(05-20-2022, 07:34 PM)98cwitr Wrote: How can I mount the phone to transfer files?

Also, what's the camera app?

Welcome to the wondrous world of the Pinephone, 98cwitr!

I use SSH to connect my (ordinary) Pinephone to the computer -- unlike other methods like Jumpdrive this should work for the Pro as well.

Regarding the camera of the Pro: The last thing I heard was that "there are no camera drivers and AFAIK none in sight". I hope this has changed, but don't despair if it hasn't: The photographs the Pinephone takes aren't that great anyway. I practically never use the camera.
Thanks Anna! I cleared the bootloader using the wiki instructions and was able to boot to the Manjaro-Phosh that I had loaded onto an sdcard. That helped on battery life, but waking from sleep was still a problem so I loaded tow-boot into SPI flash this morning and trying that out, however the bootloader reloaded Manjaro-ARM from emmc and is still killing the battery as fast as it possibly can.

I want to DD my pinephone so bad, but without MMS support and the mic being nearly unusable I am going to just wait for PostmarketOS to come available for the pro (I read you can use pmbootstrap to load it, but haven't gotten that working yet).

Stock, OE Manjaro-ARM is hot garbage though...not only does the battery not last more than 30 minutes, but Authenticator app doesn't work, cant get email app working either. Manjaro Phosh does good with both, but PostmarketOS seems to have far less bugs than the stock OS does.

Got keyboard and mouse working via my Lenovo usb-c hub, but hdmi output didn't function (this was attempted via Manjaro-ARM and not Phosh...I hope I'm getting these terms right [if not, correct me!]). Is there a proper dock I can use other than the Pine64 branded one?
(05-23-2022, 07:49 AM)98cwitr Wrote: Is there a proper dock I can use other than the Pine64 branded one?

I guess you can use any USB-C dock that has the connections you want, just make sure -- given the short battery life -- it has power input.

I don't know the Pinephone Pro, but it seems that a lot of things that work on the standard Pinephone don't work on the Pro yet. You might want to check out the Pro section -- that's where the knowledgeable people hang out.
(05-23-2022, 12:42 PM)Anna Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 07:49 AM)98cwitr Wrote: Is there a proper dock I can use other than the Pine64 branded one?

I guess you can use any USB-C dock that has the connections you want, just make sure -- given the short battery life -- it has power input.

I don't know the Pinephone Pro, but it seems that a lot of things that work on the standard Pinephone don't work on the Pro yet. You might want to check out the Pro section -- that's where the knowledgeable people hang out.

I upgraded, via terminal, Manjaro and it greatly improved the battery life. I think loading tow-boot helped as well. Wakes from suspend now too without issue. Battery doesn't last all day now, but most of it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 3,998 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PPP used with smart phone gaming fan. DaForest 3 689 11-19-2023, 05:17 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Is the pine phone usable as a daily driver now? gautamb11 18 3,981 10-27-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Pine Phone Pro: Mobian+plasma mobile GabrieleMax 2 1,470 04-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Interested in a Pinephone, but have some questions jilek 8 3,435 02-10-2023, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Piotr
  pine phone pro won't start robb777 2 1,318 01-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: emsyr
  curious iPhone user here Usedname 9 2,886 01-11-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Current State of PIne Phone Pro kmsgli 40 24,906 12-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Simon Belmont
  Was the Pine Phone Pro you got from DHL new? theForce 3 1,940 10-31-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Internet is not working on Pine Pro phone caroljames972022 0 828 09-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: caroljames972022