rough estimate of expected microSD installation life?
I installed Mobian onto an SD card in the Pinephone Explorer. I have not tried everything I need to try yet but aside from an issue accessing mobile data (fixed by installing all updates) I am not finding obstacles to daily driver use yet.

As a beginner I take the warning very seriously on the wiki not to flash to emmc. Does anyone know when emmc installation will become low-risk enough to recommend? Assuming the SD card is now new, how long can I expect to use the Pinephone as a daily driver before the SD card is worn out and I need to start over with a new one?
I've been running Mobian off of the eMMC for at least a year now. I did manage to mess things up at one point along the way but I had a good image backup made via jumpdrive, so just wrote that back to eMMC and kept going. Other than that there have been no serious issues. (I make image backups periodically just in case.)
(03-05-2022, 01:16 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I've been running Mobian off of the eMMC for at least a year now. I did manage to mess things up at one point along the way but I had a good image backup made via jumpdrive, so just wrote that back to eMMC and kept going. Other than that there have been no serious issues. (I make image backups periodically just in case.)

Same story for me, including the jumpdrive image used to reflash.  A jumpdrive SD card is a good emergency tool to have in your laptop bag since no Pinephone image install is past beta/unstable phase at best.
(03-06-2022, 01:07 AM)biketool Wrote: Same story for me, including the jumpdrive image used to reflash.  A jumpdrive SD card is a good emergency tool to have in your laptop bag since no Pinephone image install is past beta/unstable phase at best.

Same here. I have a holster for the phone that has a small zipper pouch for accessories. I keep a "known to work" SD card there along with a charging cable and wired headset.
As for the eMMC installation not being safe, I think you're mistaken by the PinePhone Pro, where in the boot order eMMC is prioritized unlike the A64/non-Pro.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
I'd be interested by the answer to the original question too...
BTW, what's the easy way to regularly backup the image (with current settings/softwares/data I mean, but without any corrupted bit) ?
(03-05-2022, 11:32 AM)andrewp907 Wrote: I installed Mobian onto an SD card in the Pinephone Explorer. I have not tried everything I need to try yet but aside from an issue accessing mobile data (fixed by installing all updates) I am not finding obstacles to daily driver use yet.

As a beginner I take the warning very seriously on the wiki not to flash to emmc. Does anyone know when emmc installation will become low-risk enough to recommend? Assuming the SD card is now new, how long can I expect to use the Pinephone as a daily driver before the SD card is worn out and I need to start over with a new one?

A better quality brand helps.

I had a Samsung SD card running in a small board computer running as a NAS sever for 5 years  non stop until it finally failed.
If the microSD card is any good, it will likely last longer than the phone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  How To Share The External MicroSD Folders and Files On A Network? pinephoneuser22 5 1,417 02-10-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 792 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  What is leaked as installation ? LienRag 9 2,908 10-12-2023, 06:13 AM
Last Post: LienRag
  The Pinephone pro does not turn on and installation of the OS Alexander27 1 666 09-25-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card _radv_ 19 5,687 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: _radv_
  Megi's Kernel and Battery Life biketool 3 2,062 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  MicroSD Card Reuse _radv_ 5 1,873 12-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: chainingsolid
  TF = MicroSD? _radv_ 1 805 12-09-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pine Phone Doesn't Recognize New MicroSD Card _radv_ 3 1,309 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Last Post: _radv_