HDMI Overscan problem
Hi All,
I've just installed Ubuntu Xenial on my Pine64 board.
Everything is fine except the HDMI output.
I can't see the top bar (and probably some pixels even from the other sides).
I've digged the net looking for a solution.
It seems to be related to overscan.
My TV doesn't have an overscan option to enable/disable.

Is there any way to fix this problem via terminal?
I've played with xrandr but I always get an error.

Any suggestion could be helpful!

Thanks
Luca
the way i fixed it was editing the /boot/uEnv.txt file from 720p60 to 720p55 this works on my display which is not to say it will work on yours, but it might.
(07-02-2016, 05:10 AM)dkryder Wrote: the way i fixed it was editing the /boot/uEnv.txt file from 720p60 to 720p55   this works on my display which is not to say it will work on yours, but it might.

Thank you for the answer.

How could I exactly try this one?
My uEnv.txt is something like this:

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 no_console_suspend
kernel_filename=pine64/Image
initrd_filename=initrd.img
ethaddr=36:c9:e3:f1:b8:05

Thanks
hello, this is mine,

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 no_console_suspend
kernel_filename=pine64/Image
initrd_filename=initrd.img
optargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=720p55
ethaddr=36:c9:e3:f1:b8:05

it's curious that you lack a optargs= line altogether.
i'm not positive what your next move should be. so i'm not going to offer a next step.
hopefully someone with the necessary knowledge will chime in.
The first thing that I would do is to check if you are running the newest uboot and kernel. There are scripts for this located in /usr/local/sbin. First run the update_uboot script and then update_kernel.

Keep in mind that both require root. Hopefully this will address your issue.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I have been having the same issue with my 2006 Panasonic Viera. Not Zoomed in, that makes it worse. No TV Overscan setting other than Zoom available.

Tried the "solution" here. Changing to 55 hz, made things unreadable (and the text smaller) but still spilling off the screen.

On my RPi it is very easy to tweak the screen settings (and required on my TV and even some monitors). http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#B...D_monitors

Is there someone who can build this functionality into the Longsleep image?

I am going to abandon Linux for a bit and try RemixOS to see if I can get my media player up and running. Looks like the Android version has the ability to tweak the settings manually.
(07-14-2016, 04:37 PM)d0ct0rj0n3s Wrote: I have been having the same issue with my 2006 Panasonic Viera.  Not Zoomed in, that makes it worse.  No TV Overscan setting other than Zoom available.  

Tried the "solution" here.  Changing to 55 hz, made things unreadable (and the text smaller) but still spilling off the screen.

On my RPi it is very easy to tweak the screen settings (and required on my TV and even some monitors).  http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#B...D_monitors

Is there someone who can build this functionality into the Longsleep image?

I am going to abandon Linux for a bit and try RemixOS to see if I can get my media player up and running.  Looks like the Android version has the ability to tweak the settings manually.

I would also like this feature. I have a BenQ Q24W5 display that has no option to disable overscan and I have even checked in the service menu. This is a pretty big issue as if you travel with your device many hotels have TV's where you cannot access the menus to disable overscan.
The ideal scenario would be some kind of auto-detecting script that accounts for different resolutions and monitors, but that could be a lot of work.
Or we include a feature where we can set the overscan amount (just like remix).
Donate BTC: 3Eav9uqXi8Nx1axb7QjK6xV4km4K9YGv9a

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disable HDMI Pine64 Andruxa89 1 4,148 01-31-2019, 11:18 AM
Last Post: martinayotte
  Problem connecting to specific wifi network JamesWatt 1 4,554 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: ChristianC123
  Problem with Pine honkimonk1 1 3,320 10-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Luke
  System program problem detected error ebclr 0 2,087 05-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Last Post: ebclr
  Why no DVI-HDMI video? Sequence 1 3,196 05-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Luke