Waydroid on PinePhone Pro PPP (Stock Manjaro Plasma)
Any luck running Waydroid on PPP default Manjaro Plasma Install?

I was able to get it installed with the below instructions for the PinePhone, but upon launching it just hangs on the Waydroid launch screen.

Installation instructions:

Code:
sudo pacman -S waydroid-image
sudo waydroid init -f
sudo systemctl enable waydroid-container --now

then launch the app from Pinephone App launcher.

App hangs and does not progress past initial screen. I tried launching from the terminal with wayland show-full-ui and got a wayland-0 display error. 

Upon forcing a reboot from the terminal I noticed an Android terminal screen with an error about sensors... I forced a reboot holding the power button. Perhaps some tweaks are needed to target the proper display? Any thoughts?

Thinking the issue has to do with PSI requirement in the kernel which has not yet made it to mainline stable Manjaro.
Do we need PSI to run Waydroid? - ARM - Manjaro Linux Forum

Is there a work around for PSI or do we need to upgrade to a non-stable kernel... or do we wait. :-\
Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again... · Issue #183 · waydroid/waydroid (github.com)
I tried waydroid on plasma and phosh from arch and manjaro and phosh from postmarket and none worked
I had page faults from the panfrost driver whenever the Waydroid window was in focus
I found a case where they disabled the hardware render to get waydroid to start on the Pro.

#!/bin/bash
# Download image, can be slow

sudo waydroid init
# Older android images cant use hardware acceleration on new hardware, so turn off.

( sudo echo "ro.hardware.gralloc=default" ; sudo echo "ro.hardware.egl=swiftshader" ) >>/var/lib/waydroid/waydroid_base.prop
sudo systemctl enable waydroid-container.service
sudo systemctl restart waydroid-container.service

Then for start script:

#!/bin/bash
waydroid session start &
waydroid show-full-ui &

There is no guarantee that it will work, but you can try.
Thumbs Up 
(02-15-2022, 06:32 PM)TheBlindEarthican Wrote: I found a case where they disabled the hardware render to get waydroid to start on the Pro.

#!/bin/bash

sudo waydroid init
# Older android images cant use hardware acceleration on new hardware, so turn off.

( sudo echo "ro.hardware.gralloc=default" ; sudo echo "ro.hardware.egl=swiftshader" ) >>/var/lib/waydroid/waydroid_base.prop

Then for start script:

#!/bin/bash
waydroid session start &
waydroid show-full-ui &

Thanks for this suggestion. This got Waydroid running for me on Pinephone Pro running Arch ARM in Phosh. Does this mean the Pinephone Pro GPU is not supported by Wayland?
(02-15-2022, 06:32 PM)TheBlindEarthican Wrote: I found a case where they disabled the hardware render to get waydroid to start on the Pro.

I can confirm this works on Manjaro Gnome on the PPP.

[Image: Pine-Phone-Pro-Gnome-42-Manjaro-Waydroid.png]
(04-07-2022, 02:11 PM)m0n.t3 Wrote:

#!/bin/bash

sudo waydroid init

Then for start script:

#!/bin/bash
waydroid session start &
waydroid show-full-ui &

Thanks for this suggestion. This got Waydroid running for me on Pinephone Pro running Arch ARM in Phosh. Does this mean the Pinephone Pro GPU is not supported by Wayland?

The GPU is support by wayland. From my understanding, the LineageOS version used isn't compatible with the RK3399 GPU currently. I haven't tried it lately and I am unsure whether or not it has been updated for it yet.
Fully working setup with hardware acceleration and Google apps, cross-posting for visibility: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17369

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] KDE Plasma Mobile 6.0 Builds & Ports dorkydev 4 410 03-18-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,474 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices Ulfnic 60 43,633 02-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: fxc
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 746 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 885 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  "failed to start simple desktop display manager" PinePhonePro / Plasma Beta15 RC4 OhMeadhbh 1 581 11-09-2023, 07:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 638 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,637 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 18,780 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Manajaro Plasma 6 files break unstable updates, 6-30 mburns 5 1,484 07-20-2023, 11:19 AM