Pinephone pro seems to have died overnight....
Received my Explorer Edition yesterday. Booted it, played around. Everything seemed fine, Discover seemed broken (default KDE Manjaro). Shut it down, tried mounting it in the pinephone keyboard, never got the keyboard working, planned on trying the pogo shim this weekend. Shut it down, back into "phone mode" played around some more. Let it charge, then unplugged it and left it on my desk for the night.

This morning, wouldn't start. Plugged in, off to work. Still no boot. Removed battery, monkeyed around with various attempts at powering up. I don't get a vibration or anything on plugging it in as described charging indicator (pine64.org) . 

Next steps for troubleshooting?
(01-28-2022, 06:27 PM)projectcato Wrote: Received my Explorer Edition yesterday. Booted it, played around. Everything seemed fine, Discover seemed broken (default KDE Manjaro). Shut it down, tried mounting it in the pinephone keyboard, never got the keyboard working, planned on trying the pogo shim this weekend. Shut it down, back into "phone mode" played around some more. Let it charge, then unplugged it and left it on my desk for the night.

This morning, wouldn't start. Plugged in, off to work. Still no boot. Removed battery, monkeyed around with various attempts at powering up. I don't get a vibration or anything on plugging it in as described charging indicator (pine64.org) . 

I didn't notice this before: PinePhone Pro - PINE64 (blue box):

Quote:If the battery is fully drained U-Boot might fail to boot any installed operating system on the eMMC and microSD card due to a bug.
If that's the case please start your phone in Maskrom mode and let it charge in that for a few hours. To do that:
  • Remove any microSD card from the phone
  • Hold the "RE" button underneath the back cover of your Explorer Edition (or shorting the bypass contact points on the Developer Edition)
  • Connect the phone to an USB port of a computer, while still holding the button
  • Check if the phone in Maskrom mode appears in the output of the Linux command 

Code:
    lsusb
     on the computer (if the device disappears again please use a different cable)
  • Let the phone charge for multiple hours.

Can confirm this worked for me, got up to about ~30% charge by the time I got impatient and tested. Note, after this procedure, the phone only booted after another battery remove / reinstall.
(01-28-2022, 10:14 PM)projectcato Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 06:27 PM)projectcato Wrote: Received my Explorer Edition yesterday. Booted it, played around. Everything seemed fine, Discover seemed broken (default KDE Manjaro). Shut it down, tried mounting it in the pinephone keyboard, never got the keyboard working, planned on trying the pogo shim this weekend. Shut it down, back into "phone mode" played around some more. Let it charge, then unplugged it and left it on my desk for the night.

Quote:If the battery is fully drained U-Boot might fail to boot any installed operating system on the eMMC and microSD card due to a bug.
If that's the case please start your phone in Maskrom mode and let it charge in that for a few hours. To do that:
  • Hold the "RE" button underneath the back cover of your Explorer Edition (or shorting the bypass contact points on the Developer Edition)
  • Connect the phone to an USB port of a computer, while still holding the button

Code:
    lsusb

Can confirm this worked for me, got up to about ~30% charge by the time I got impatient and tested. Note, after this procedure, the phone only booted after another battery remove / reinstall.

I've tried this process doggedly and repeatedly, using various cables, etc., but still have a dead PPP.

Any other suggestions?
I also had a dead PPP this morning.

Just got it on last Thursday and started using it a bit this weekend, just to stream some music, but was completely dead this morning. It started with bootloops for breakfast. I could see that it was reaching a certain point in the boot, then dying. I have the USB charge station with display and it was helpful to see that the phone wasn't taking a charge except for the first few seconds while it tried to boot, but wasn't enough for it to charge the battery, then died. Repeat. It did this until the battery was too low to even power on the phone.

I resolved it by putting the battery into my original PinePhone and got it to charge on there. That allowed me to get up to about 15% charge, then was able to get the PPP to boot past where it was failing before and started charging normally.
(01-30-2022, 12:13 PM)thismarty Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 10:14 PM)projectcato Wrote:

Code:
    lsusb

I've tried this process doggedly and repeatedly, using various cables, etc., but still have a dead PPP.

Any other suggestions?

I'm in the same boat. My phone doesn't actually leave Mask ROM mode. I don't have to press the reset button when I connect to my desktop and the battery doesn't need to be installed.

I'm trying to see how to get out of DFU mode Smile
Okay, I continue to end up in DFU mode.

I have to leave the phone to charge for hours in DFU before it recovers: it doesn't charge anywhere near as fast as it does (from the same computer port) when running normally.

I'll poke around with the phone for a bit. Still using Manjaro plasma, but I'm about to switch because I'm really unhappy with it from a basic stability standpoint. Battery life seems fine, but if I leave it unplugged overnight, I'm back to a DFU recovery. Left on the charger overnight, by three nights in, I'm DFU anyway. Completely baffled as to why.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone only turns on sometimes zvavybir 1 81 Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Last Post: zvavybir
  PinePhone Pro Explorer's edition Qualcomm modem recovery shifras 7 819 03-24-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Screen turning off and booting problems with the Pinephone Pro xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4 0 157 01-16-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4
  Pinephone Pro LCD and Touchscreen Hobgoblin 8 3,522 01-14-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: shifras
  Recurrent problems with broken charger chip on the pinephone/pinephone pro keyboard Jite 4 1,034 11-18-2023, 07:25 AM
Last Post: crocspot
Thumbs Up Pinephone Pro + Keyboard for sale Jimmy88 1 574 09-18-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Anperson222
  is it possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone hannescam 7 2,423 08-13-2023, 04:50 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone pro packet injection for internal wifi chipset covar 1 704 08-13-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: fxc
  PinePhone Keyboard won't work. read_kb_reg(PPKB_SYS_CONFIG) needs what? jovval 0 453 07-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: jovval
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,389 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life