Trying the camera switch on my PinePhone
Since everything tried so on my PinePhone was working and I had just completed my weekly update to Mobian I thought it might be useful to check out the dip switches and disable the front-facing camera. Clicked down switch 5, which should have disabled the front-facing camera, only. Rebooted the phone and when I brought up the camera app nothing happened except showing the background wallpaper. It appeared as if the camera app was totally disabled. The good news was that when I returned the switch to the off position and rebooted the phone the cameras both worked perfectly. This was contrary to some reports I had read which had described a total reinstall of the OS to make the return settings work. Yaaa.

Am I missing something on setting the dip switches or is there still work in progress? Any comments or assistance is always appreciated. Thanks
According to the schematic the camera switches disconnect the processor gpio lines that control each camera module's power pin so the processor can't power on the camera module. I don't know if the camera app and/or drivers allow for this possibility, or try to enable a camera and get confused if it fails to respond.
(01-24-2022, 05:17 PM)gilwood Wrote: Clicked down switch 5, which should have disabled the front-facing camera, only. Rebooted the phone and when I brought up the camera app nothing happened except showing the background wallpaper. It appeared as if the camera app was totally disabled.

Run megapixels in terminal and see what it says. I think the app is just buggy. I have the front camera always disabled and sometimes megapixels will work and something it will crash on start.

But maybe this isn't megapixels's fault, because I had similar results when I tried using the camera with opencv in python. Maybe it's the drivers like @wibble said.
The good news is that with every update to Mobian something gets fixed. Hopefully, there are not many selfie lovers over those that don't want to run the risk of the camera watching them so disabling will be fixed. Thanks for the comments.
(01-26-2022, 07:25 PM)gilwood Wrote: The good news is that with every update to Mobian something gets fixed. Hopefully, there are not many selfie lovers over those that don't want to run the risk of the camera watching them so disabling will be fixed. Thanks for the comments.

Megapixels still segfaults when one of the cameras is turned off.  This seems to have been fixed upstream.
(01-26-2022, 07:25 PM)gilwood Wrote: The good news is that with every update to Mobian something gets fixed. Hopefully, there are not many selfie lovers over those that don't want to run the risk of the camera watching them so disabling will be fixed. Thanks for the comments.

Megapixels still segfaults when one of the cameras is turned off.  This seems to have been fixed upstream.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,516 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  The program doesn`t detect the camera blag0rag 2 219 02-15-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,455 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  GStreamer Camera Issue (Unsupported pixformat: 0x56595559 with mbus code: 0x3001) sog8b 1 1,136 07-17-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: junelung
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,424 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,251 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,061 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,104 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Sending Pinephone SMS from Desktop biketool 5 2,755 09-13-2022, 01:46 PM
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 6,957 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish