Pine64 $15 card killed my $120 keyboard
I plugged my keyboard on the board and it wasn't working, I plugged it back on my computer and it doesn't work anymore I tried to reboot and to uninstall the driver but even on the computer start it didn't work , I tried on my mac too...
I now have a dead K70, never had any issue with the pi but the pine killed it...   Angry
Not that I'm disagreeing or disputing what you are saying, but....that seems a stretch.

I assume you've done a bit of troubleshooting with it plugged into your original computer..looked to see if it was recognized in device manager, verified you didn't have an issue with the usb cable, tried a different usb port, etc?

Just for grins I did a quick google and I see a lot of incidents mentioned related to K70 keyboards suddenly dying, nothing related to the Pine.
Yeah, the K70 has issues.

... no way plugging it into the PineA64 killed it, no technical way.

sorry.
(06-29-2016, 08:54 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Yeah, the K70 has issues.

sorry.

That is, not without doing something that would kill the pine64 at the same time... like shove 12v into it instead of 5v! That would toast both it and anything plugged into the USB ports for sure!!!  Big Grin
(06-29-2016, 06:50 AM)DonFL Wrote: Not that I'm disagreeing or disputing what you are saying, but....that seems a stretch.

I assume you've done a bit of troubleshooting with it plugged into your original computer..looked to see if it was recognized in device manager, verified you didn't have an issue with the usb cable, tried a different usb port, etc?

Just for grins I did a quick google and I see a lot of incidents mentioned related to K70 keyboards suddenly dying, nothing related to the Pine.
I did as I said on my first post

sorry.

It was working perfectly seconds before, the possible explanation is that my board being bare bones (as I didn't receive my case yet) my hand could have touched one of the pins while I plugged it.

(06-29-2016, 09:45 PM)pfeerick Wrote:

sorry.

That is, not without doing something that would kill the pine64 at the same time... like shove 12v into it instead of 5v! That would toast both it and anything plugged into the USB ports for sure!!!  Big Grin
I'm using it with the power supply sent by the pine team
(06-30-2016, 02:06 AM)exa Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 06:50 AM)DonFL Wrote: Not that I'm disagreeing or disputing what you are saying, but....that seems a stretch.

sorry.

It was working perfectly seconds before, the possible explanation is that my board being bare bones (as I didn't receive my case yet) my hand could have touched one of the pins while I plugged it.

(06-29-2016, 09:45 PM)pfeerick Wrote:

sorry.

That is, not without doing something that would kill the pine64 at the same time... like shove 12v into it instead of 5v! That would toast both it and anything plugged into the USB ports for sure!!!  Big Grin
I'm using it with the power supply sent by the pine team

If you truely feel that the Pine destroyed your keyboard then just get someone qualified in electronics to test the port, the fact is that whilst a lot of people have got used to the idea that say a PC will fail safely, the pine is not a PC. It is instead a homebrew board that unlike the RPi is not aimed directly at school children interested in electronics, thus I would suggest may be missing a lot of protection that comes as standard with say a PC not least being a case. 

Personally I would not have risked using an expensive keyboard and especially not one that has has failure problems or higher current drain to power lights/onboard electronics such as is normal for gaming keyboards.

So as no one here can actually say with certainty what is coming out of your USB port without testing it, especially the "pine apologist", I would have it tested by someone with the tools and competence to say if the keyboard was destroyed because it was plugged into a faulty USB port

The USB port may check out fine and it be, as your say, down to ECD which can damage pretty much any unhardered/un-isolated ICs, in which case you would need to show that pine suggested you run the board without basic ECD protection, not least of which is keeping your fingers away from the board whilst it is in operation.
(06-30-2016, 02:06 AM)exa Wrote:

I assume you've done a bit of troubleshooting with it plugged into your original computer..looked to see if it was recognized in desk ice manager, verified you didn't have an issue with the usb cable, tried a different usb port, etc?

I'd be inclined to plug a cheap standard keyboard into the Pine and fire it up. Test both ports, and verify it works..or not.

So to confirm..does your PC device manager (assuming a windows machine) see the K70 keyboard and its just non-responsive? Or does it not even show up as a device?

You could pop the top of the K70 and see whats going on with it if it appears it definitely has an issue, but not sure of your technical skill level and if you're confident doing that.
The K70 is probably sensitive to being hot-plugged. If you open it up you'll probably find it has (1) chip. ... and it probably isn't well protected. More likely than not hot-plugging the keyboard is what damaged it. The other possibility is ESD; which also has the potential for damaging any uncased board like the PineA64, or the Raspberry PI... for that matter.

But two things: 1) plugging a $120 keyboard into an open SBC is insane; and 2) blaming keyboard damage on the engineering efforst of the Pine team is no fair, especially without proper testing nor corroboration.
(06-30-2016, 07:54 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: The K70 is probably sensitive to being hot-plugged. If you open it up you'll probably find it has (1) chip.  ... and it probably isn't well protected. More likely than not hot-plugging the keyboard is what damaged it.  The other possibility is ESD; which also has the potential for damaging any uncased board like the PineA64, or the Raspberry PI... for that matter.

But two things: 1) plugging a $120 keyboard into an open SBC is insane; and 2) blaming keyboard damage on the engineering efforst of the Pine team is no fair, especially without proper testing nor corroboration.

read  gsh » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:20 pm as an example of Raspberry Pi built in ECD protection, I know I read in it the technical specification and news reports but do not have the time to find it for you. Do not search for the word "hardened" as that will be RPi3 and we do not know which he is using

1) plugging in a USB complaint device into a USB compliant socket in not insane, problem only occurs when standards have been ignored. Not that I know if either device is compliant.

2) In the event that pine USB is not compliant then, yes they could be said to be at fault if the socket was presented as being compliant

All this is academic, the point I was making is that without actually being present so you could test the socket and keyboard for compliance and check that both devices are ECD protected can anyone have a valid opinion, anything else would be mere conjecture. 

Remote diagnosis of this fault is impossible given the limited amount of information available from OP and so I am saying that rather than post an opinion based upon nothing but conjecture, that the OP actually gets someone competent to make an assessment.

With the information available in this thread how could legitimately state "... no way plugging it into the PineA64 killed it, no technical way.", the fact is you haven't tested either device nor where you present at the time the fault occurred.
(06-30-2016, 08:53 AM)Oscar Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 07:54 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: The K70 is probably sensitive to being hot-plugged. If you open it up you'll probably find it has (1) chip.  ... and it probably isn't well protected. More likely than not hot-plugging the keyboard is what damaged it.  The other possibility is ESD; which also has the potential for damaging any uncased board like the PineA64, or the Raspberry PI... for that matter.

1) plugging in a USB complaint device into a USB compliant socket [is] not insane ...
Well that is the $120 dollar question isn't it? I'm from the old school, and 'we' never hot-plug anything (not ever) and 'we' have not had anything damaged as a result either... I have a very inexpensive wireless keyboard (usb receiver) that I use with my Pine and PIs. I change the receiver only with the power off. I would never plug a $120 dollar keyboard into a PI, nor the PineA64.  IMHO its insane to treat a $120 keyboard that way... and the proof is in the pudding, isn't it... his keyboard IS damaged (one way or the other) so, it was insane, wasn't it?
Compliant, non compliant, meh.  If you value your equipment, you will not hot-plug it... ever....  physics does not understand compliance...  
Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,618 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  PINE A64 SBC: Clone of a functional 32GB SD card doesn't boot burningkrome 3 1,505 05-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Pine64 as wireless audio device S265 3 3,152 04-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: S265
  Pine64(+) and manjaro dsychan 0 1,108 04-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsychan
Thumbs Down Pine64 was a Useless Project pushpendrak 18 28,296 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 LCD rstcologne 0 3,090 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: rstcologne
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,738 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
Exclamation Can't boot when SD card inserted kivox 5 7,915 03-15-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: kivox
  Pine64 OS dpcons 2 4,894 03-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Last Post: dpcons
  Jailhouse supports Pine64+ vj-kumar 0 2,801 02-17-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: vj-kumar