Hex files and how to convert them to bin
Question 
Hey all,

I'm trying to update my pinecil to the latest firmware, and when I downloaded it from either the pinecil repository or the ironOS repository, they both are hex files, which don't work with the pinecil software. How do I convert them to bin files or how do I flash them without converting? I think mine is the newer batch of pinecils because I ordered mine in November and mine just arrived today.
You can use the .dfu file to update the firmware according to the flashing documentation.
using the dfu file in the pinecil update utility didn't work, and neither did using the hex or converting to bin using hex2bin, they all resulted in error 74
(12-29-2021, 02:33 PM)turbothewolfhog Wrote: using the dfu file in the pinecil update utility didn't work, and neither did using the hex or converting to bin using hex2bin, they all resulted in error 74

Here the Pinecil.zip what you can download includes .bin files which is the last stable version - however, latest RC1 and RC2 only have files with .hex and .dfu extensions.

Anyway, I have compiled the latest version maybe about a week ago to test if the option I have added to menu system is still working fine and it has automatically generated .bin files.
(12-30-2021, 06:36 PM)VaZso Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 02:33 PM)turbothewolfhog Wrote: using the dfu file in the pinecil update utility didn't work, and neither did using the hex or converting to bin using hex2bin, they all resulted in error 74

Here the Pinecil.zip what you can download includes .bin files which is the last stable version - however, latest RC1 and RC2 only have files with .hex and .dfu extensions.

Anyway, I have compiled the latest version maybe about a week ago to test if the option I have added to menu system is still working fine and it has automatically generated .bin files.

that explains it, I was trying to download 2.16 onto the pinecil
(12-30-2021, 06:45 PM)turbothewolfhog Wrote: that explains it, I was trying to download 2.16 onto the pinecil

Today 2.16 was officially released and Ralim took the following note about .dfu files:

"Please note that compared to v2.15, Pinecil files are now .dfu files to pack in the device settings into the file to make flashing easier.

The last few dfu-util releases support these and they should just work without you needing to specify the address etc.
If you run into issues, make sure you are using the latest dfu-util. (Hex files are still provided too)."
(12-30-2021, 06:45 PM)turbothewolfhog Wrote: that explains it, I was trying to download 2.16 onto the pinecil

So... I have updated my Pinecil to official v2.16

My host system (Debian 11) contains dfu-util v0.9 which I think is too old to correctly handle .dfu files come with IronOS image.
(Latest version is 0.11)

So here is the command what I used to convert .hex to .bin to upgrade my Pinecil using the old way:

Quote:objcopy --input-target=ihex --output-target=binary Pinecil_EN.hex Pinecil_EN.bin

So, that is the answer for @turbothewolfhog's initial question.