Is there a way to turn off Wifi completely?
Hello Smile

Is there a way to physically or software off Wifi on PineBook Pro?

The reason is that it is necessary to avoid special regulations in Japan. In Japan, if you want to use a wifi device, you have to obtain a license called technical conformity certification. For example, the Japanese model of iphone is sold under this license.
[Image: 125px-Giteki_new.jpg]
technical conformity certification( = 技術適合証明)
URL: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%8A%80%...C%E3%82%AF

Using a wireless device without this type of approval is illegal under the Radio Law and will result in penalties. So We cannot legally use PineBook Pro in Japan (ToT)

Obtaining a technical conformity certificate individually is time consuming, costly and impractical. So is it possible to turn off the Wifi on the PineBook Pro completely?

It's not enough to just turn off Wifi in NetworkManager. This is because it is illegal to make wireless radio waves available without using Wifi radio waves. Even if I get PineBook Pro, the moment I connect it to the charging cable, it is illegal under the Radio Law.

Is it possible to remove the Wifi module from the PineBook Pro motherboard? I am a little confident in using the soldering iron. If I remove the module, will the OS boot succeed without error? Or is there a Linux command that does not draw current only to the wifi module?If possible, it would be nice if there was a way to turn off the power by software.

I would like to use the PineBook even with a USB wired LAN adapter, and would like to buy it as soon as I can clear this wireless problem.
The WiFi can be completely disabled with the privacy switches https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pr...y_Switches
You can disable WiFi once, and then it will stay disabled across reboots.
(12-20-2021, 05:57 AM)maxjrh Wrote: The WiFi can be completely disabled with the privacy switches https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pr...y_Switches
You can disable WiFi once, and then it will stay disabled across reboots.

Thank you for your reply Smile

Private Switch is a great answer! I didn't read the Wiki very much. Thank you for teaching.

It's great that a simple keyboard shortcut will stop the current supply to the wifi module.
From this thread
How does the kill switch work?
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9990

I found that the ON / OFF information of the private switch is stored in the memory of the keyboard. This means that private switch information will be lost if the PineBook's main battery is completely discharged.

If the PinBook is started with the private switch turned off, it may be illegal under the Radio Law in Japan. This is not good.

Is there a way to force the private switch on when the pinebook boots from 0% battery? I'm sorry to ask you more questions even though the above reply has suggested a fairly effective method.

Could you give me some hints?
(12-21-2021, 08:09 AM)jirow Wrote: From this thread

I found that the ON / OFF information of the private switch is stored in the memory of the keyboard. This means that private switch information will be lost if the PineBook's main battery is completely discharged.

If the PinBook is started with the private switch turned off, it may be illegal under the Radio Law in Japan. This is not good.

Is there a way to force the private switch on when the pinebook boots from 0% battery? I'm sorry to ask you more questions even though the above reply has suggested a fairly effective method.

The privacy switches, including the WiFi, are stored in Non-Volatile memory. This chip is physically separate from the keyboard controller and is wired to an I2C bus if I remember correctly. If the keyboard processor comes up, it reads the privacy switch configuration and programs the external device power as appropriate.

The default power state is almost certainly off. So if the keyboard processor fails to boot, WiFi power will likely stay off.

You can find the schematics here;

Pine64 Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Schematics

The page for the keyboard controller is 19, and the privacy switch storage chip is the lower right one, U7005, if I remember correctly. It's tiny, I think like 256 bytes. But, more than enough for it's purpose.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(12-21-2021, 11:46 AM)Arwen Wrote:

The privacy switches, including the WiFi, are store in Non-Volatile memory. This chip is physically separate from the keyboard controller and is wired to an I2C bus if I remember correctly. If the keyboard processor comes up, it reads the privacy switch configuration and programs the external device power as appropriate.

The default power state is almost certainly off. So if the keyboard processor fails to boot, WiFi power will likely stay off.

The page for the keyboard controller is 19, and the privacy switch storage chip is the lower right one, U7005, if I remember correctly. It's tiny, I think like 256 bytes. But, more than enough for it's purpose.

Thank you for your reply Smile . It took me a while to understand the reply and the PDF of the circuit.

Even if the main battery is completely exhausted, the stored data will not be erased. I'm glad to hear that, and I'll read more schematics with less knowledge of mine.

thank you.
(12-23-2021, 06:42 PM)jirow Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 11:46 AM)Arwen Wrote:

The privacy switches, including the WiFi, are store in Non-Volatile memory. This chip is physically separate from the keyboard controller and is wired to an I2C bus if I remember correctly. If the keyboard processor comes up, it reads the privacy switch configuration and programs the external device power as appropriate.

Thank you for your reply Smile . It took me a while to understand the reply and the PDF of the circuit.

Even if the main battery is completely exhausted, the stored data will not be erased. I'm glad to hear that, and I'll read more schematics with less knowledge of mine.

thank you.
Did you find a way to do it?
@pimbuk , a way to do what? Disable WiFi?

If it's to permanently disable WiFi, you can either use the privacy switches. Or dis-connect the antenna. Both are documented in the Pine64 Wiki for the Pinebook Pro.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I'm not sure about it but I think you can disable wifi through a driver, if you can disable a driver might be possible for your wifi to disable too until and unless you did not reinstall the driver.
You need a license to use a wifi device in Japan? I thought China was communist and not Japan?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Both hinges completely failed phuzy 20 10,402 01-02-2024, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Kernel Not Detecting Wifi tallfrye 10 777 01-01-2024, 06:57 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Connection to WiFi with OWE IhorOlkhovskyi 1 1,310 09-01-2022, 08:48 AM
Last Post: IhorOlkhovskyi
  RTL8811AU usb wifi for pbpro vlut 0 1,269 12-02-2021, 05:23 AM
Last Post: vlut
  Mini-Howto: ROCK64 USB 3.0 WIFI Adapter (Rabbit-ear) on Manjaro Dendrocalamus64 1 2,316 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Wifi disconnecting after few minutes hellojack 0 1,348 09-16-2021, 02:50 AM
Last Post: hellojack
  Advice on increasing WIFI range stozi 2 3,991 03-29-2021, 06:57 AM
Last Post: barray
  Curious about problem with PBP Wifi kendew 3 4,615 01-14-2021, 11:16 AM
Last Post: clover
  Pinebook Pro won't turn on codebreaker 62 75,711 10-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: cefre00
  Privacy switches - cutting power to wifi card as400 1 2,728 08-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: belfastraven