PinbebookPro electrically dead ...
I have had my PBP since early May 2021 and have loved it dearly. It was perfect for experimenting with software, the battery life was great, etc.

However, a few days ago, my enjoyment of it came to a halt, with a bad software installation that crippled the system (Manjaro, updated from the original installation). I tried to re-install the OS onto the 64Gb eMMC, but I kept getting told that the file system on the eMMC was corrupt. Eventually, one of the attempts, always ending with a restart, failed to bring the computer back to life. No lights came on at all. Since then, the only sign of electrical life has been a little red light next to where the power supply cable goes in (the barrel port/jack?)

I suspect the motherboard is dead. Perhaps the eMMC, too. I admit, I am a software guy, so I need guidance on diagnosing the electronics/electricals of my PBP. I would really appreciate any suggestions. It would be a shame to have to scrap a computer after six months.

P.S.

I have written to support@pinemicrosystemsinc.zohosupport.com, but they tell me to try the forums.

There was one case I have seen in the forums that also referred to a dead PBP and the answer was "Conctact sales" [for motherboard, and other parts].
Try this (because I am guessing you also did a uboot update, manjaro's uboot are not so good)
Take off back, remove/disable emmc, put KNOWN good uSD in,
do resets in order (testing after each),,, hard pwr-off (7s press pwr button),, hard reset (20+s), internal reset button
If necessary, do this twice
(11-28-2021, 01:09 PM)wdt Wrote: Try this (because I am guessing you also did a uboot update, manjaro's uboot are not so good)
Take off back, remove/disable emmc, put KNOWN good uSD in,
do resets in order (testing after each),,, hard pwr-off (7s press pwr button),, hard reset (20+s), internal reset button
If necessary,  do this twice

Thanks. Now the power light comes on in red, turns green after a few seconds and eventually goes out. The screen stays dark, so I don't know if there is any attempt to boot from the uSD.

Try to make up a new bootable uSD tomorrow.
The red-green means that the sd has (probably) a mainline uboot package on it
I don't have much experience with these, they are not capable of s3 sleep
Well, tow-boot is mainline and it has a less long s3 sleep
(s3 sleep is about 7%/day,, s3 sleep=sleep to mem,,only pwr button and lid switch are alive)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Dead, dead, dead! vgivanovic 6 4,116 08-27-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: vgivanovic
  power on PBP if your keyboard is dead? stozi 0 1,282 11-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Last Post: stozi